Natural Birth

Doula Etiquette?

My doula is also my Bradley teacher, she is not yet charging for the extra service because she needs to attend a few live births before she is fully certified. Her Bradley class is super duper cheap as compared to some other classes in our town. I feel like I want to show my appreciation for all of her help, so should I buy her a doula gift? My husband said something about tipping her, but I was like uhhh that just sounds trashy like we are going to a restaurant. I dont know if that would offend her by throwing her a tip, because this is such an intimate event in our lives. I dont know.... has anyone bought your doula a gift, and what did you buy? And has anyone tipped their doula?

Thanks!

Re: Doula Etiquette?

• Our Doula in training backed out on us, but before that I was planning to give her a gift certificate for a massage.  I agree with you about not tipping, besides I'm guessing students aren't allowed to charge so it might even cause problems for her.
  • Some of my moms have given me little gifts. Not neccessary, but very appreciated. Some of my favorites have been little statues, framed pictures, a photo album...she was a scrapbooker and put "DOULA" on the front. It's got pictures of all my doula babies, and some photos from labors that moms said I could use for childbirth ed. A gift card for a restraunt would, of course, be appreciated. If she is a coffee drinker (most of us are...crazy hours, you know!) a nice mug or a pound of coffee beans maybe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Students can charge for their services...usually if they do it is 1/2 or 1/3 of what the full fee would be for your area and the services offered.

I would not be upset if someone "tipped" me, but I would never expect it. Personally, I think that a thoughtful gift would be better than cash, and let her take some pictures with you during labor and what not...I know that I love to have those to look at, and to show other clients.

Massages, a piece of birth artwork, a new book, etc...All of these would be good ideas.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I gave mine a water bottle with a picture of DS's footprint on it. If you go to sigg.com you can customize their bottles. I thought this was something she would use and personal to her time with us but no so personal that she wouldn't want to use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"