Babies: 9 - 12 Months

NBR- my UO about Bin Laden

I am happy they finally got Bin Laden and praise all the men and women who made it happen, but all the partying in the streets over it is sickening to me. I remember very vividly how horrible I thought it was to see people in the countries that were happy about 9/11 to be cheering in the streets. We are now them. If the US wants to prance around that we are so much better then the rest of the world, we should damn well start acting like it. Flame away.

Re: NBR- my UO about Bin Laden

• i thought the same thing initially. i remembered being sickened by the celebration of our bombing overseas and the celebration of our citizens being burned from a bridge. however, dude was awful. he signed up for this so i dont feel bad honestly. what goes around comes around. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess my concern is if they retaliate against us. I don't think it's time to celebrate...just yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe you are not aware, but many people in Pakistan and the Middle East are NOT supporters of Al Qaeda, so this is a good thing for many of them, too. It is a chance for them to believe they may be able to take control over their country.  In my opinion, there should be many more people all over the world cheering for this.  I also think it's not necessarily his death that is the "exciting" part, but a huge hit on Al Qaeda, which has been harming not only the US but many many countries.

• imagesusan1017:
    I am happy they finally got Bin Laden and praise all the men and women who made it happen, but all the partying in the streets over it is sickening to me. I remember very vividly how horrible I thought it was to see people in the countries that were happy about 9/11 to be cheering in the streets. We are now them. If the US wants to prance around that we are so much better then the rest of the world, we should damn well start acting like it. Flame away.

I feel exactly the same way.

• There is a HUGE diffference between people celebrating the death of one particular evil person who has caused so much pain in suffering around the world (including his own country) and celebrting the death of thousands of innocent people.

I'm not sure how that difference is not clear. Its fine to think its still not proper to take to the streets. But do not say its the same thing. It is not at all.

The poster formally known as Irish Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePiRSquared330:

There is a HUGE diffference between people celebrating the death of one particular evil person who has caused so much pain in suffering around the world (including his own country) and celebrting the death of thousands of innocent people.

I'm not sure how that difference is not clear. Its fine to think its still not proper to take to the streets. But do not say its the same thing. It is not at all.

This is what I wanted to say but couldn't make it come out correctly

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePiRSquared330:

There is a HUGE diffference between people celebrating the death of one particular evil person who has caused so much pain in suffering around the world (including his own country) and celebrting the death of thousands of innocent people.

agreed. 

also, i dont see why people are acting like americans are the only one celebrating. it's def not the case. turn on the news.

• imagelisajay09:
    imagePiRSquared330:

Agreed. 

And as a fellow New Yorker (and I don't know if you're native or or not, OP, but for whatever reason that makes a difference to me), shame on you!

Shame on me for what exactly??? Not liking that people are partying in the streets? And if it makes such a difference to you, I was in the city that day and remember all to well the goings on.
  • imagesusan1017:
    imagelisajay09:
    imagePiRSquared330:

Agreed. 

And as a fellow New Yorker (and I don't know if you're native or or not, OP, but for whatever reason that makes a difference to me), shame on you!

Shame on me for what exactly??? Not liking that people are partying in the streets? And if it makes such a difference to you, I was in the city that day and remember all to well the goings on.

Its one thing to not like people partying in the streets. I get that. but comparing the two events is insulting and hurtful to those directly effected by it. They are NOT the same, as a mentiond. I'm shocked someone who lived there at that point doesn't see how the death of thousands of INNOCENT people is not the same as the death of an evil leader. I would *get* the comparasion if a US leader was hunted down and killed. But that is not what happened. Thousands of innocent people were.

• imageGPGIRLY:
    I guess my concern is if they retaliate against us. I don't think it's time to celebrate...just yet.

This is exactly what I am thinking right now.  I am happy as my brother has served our country and fought for this in Afghanistan but this war is far from over yet.  I'm just very happy this happened before the 10th anniversary.  Can you believe the man hid out for almost 10 years? 

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• What I have a problem is not so much the taking to the streets, but texts like the one I just received:

"England we will see your wedding and raise you a funeral- YEAH!  God bless our troops!  I only wish I could have seen the bullet hit his head"

I am by no means diminishing what he did, but this is just one of many comments (via text or fb) that I have seen that just doesn't sit well with me. 

• imagelisajay09:
    imagePiRSquared330:
    imagesusan1017:
    imagelisajay09:
    imagePiRSquared330:

Agreed. 

Its one thing to not like people partying in the streets. I get that. but comparing the two events is insulting and hurtful to those directly effected by it. They are NOT the same, as a mentiond. I'm shocked someone who lived there at that point doesn't see how the death of thousands of INNOCENT people is not the same as the death of an evil leader. I would *get* the comparasion if a US leader was hunted down and killed. But that is not what happened. Thousands of innocent people were.

This.  OP, go try to defend your position down at Ground Zero and see how far you get.

That is not what I said AT ALL!!!! I said I don't like the partying. I think it is a great thing for the world that he is gone, but I also feel that it far from over. We still have thousands of troops in hostile countries and their jobs just got more dangerous. Save the party for when they are all home and safe. To insiuate that I am comparing the partying in the streets of 9/11 oversees with the partying here and now is disgusting to me. I view them as separate events and to think that I would minimize the pain and outrage of 9/11 is horrible. My original post has been twisted (as most things on the Bump tend to get) and an intention that was never there has been assigned to my post. If I was premature in posting until I could turn on the news then so be it. It was my initial reaction to the news. That's it. And I would have been more clear if I didn't have a whiney 9 mo. clinging to my leg.
  • imagesusan1017:
    That is not what I said AT ALL!!!! I said I don't like the partying. I think it is a great thing for the world that he is gone, but I also feel that it far from over. We still have thousands of troops in hostile countries and their jobs just got more dangerous. Save the party for when they are all home and safe. To insiuate that I am comparing the partying in the streets of 9/11 oversees with the partying here and now is disgusting to me. I view them as separate events and to think that I would minimize the pain and outrage of 9/11 is horrible. My original post has been twisted (as most things on the Bump tend to get) and an intention that was never there has been assigned to my post. If I was premature in posting until I could turn on the news then so be it. It was my initial reaction to the news. That's it. And I would have been more clear if I didn't have a whiney 9 mo. clinging to my leg.

well, you asked for flames so there ya go. 

nothing is every going to be 100% over, we are never going to have ALL our troops home and safe. it's just not how the world works.

• imagePiRSquared330:
    imagesusan1017:
    imagelisajay09:
    imagePiRSquared330:

Agreed. 

You're an idiot. She never compared the two events. All she said is that she thinks street parties are innappropriate. 1ht. Phone.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • imagedoremi29:

What I have a problem is not so much the taking to the streets, but texts like the one I just received:

"England we will see your wedding and raise you a funeral- YEAH!  God bless our troops!  I only wish I could have seen the bullet hit his head"

I am by no means diminishing what he did, but this is just one of many comments (via text or fb) that I have seen that just doesn't sit well with me. 

AGREED!!!
  • I'm glad thats not what you meant. But we didn't make up your words. Reread what you wrote. I can't quote on my iPad but you said that we are now them in regards to how they celebrated. The two events are not IMO comparable. But thank you for clarifying.
  • imagedoremi29:

What I have a problem is not so much the taking to the streets, but texts like the one I just received:

I agree with this. Some of the reactions are a bit much.
  • imageyourfaceyourface:

imagesusan1017:

well, you asked for flames so there ya go. 

nothing is every going to be 100% over, we are never going to have ALL our troops home and safe. it's just not how the world works.

Flames are fine but my words are being twisted. I realize that it will never be 100% over but again, you know what I meant. I am all for discord and sharing of opinions. I accept that others (many other) will feel differently. Fine and good but people are assigning me an intent that was never there.
  • No one is twisting your words

I remember very vividly how horrible I thought it was to see people in the countries that were happy about 9/11 to be cheering in the streets. We are now them.

You made yourself sound bad all on your own

• imageCassie730:

I cried on my way into work thinking of all the parents who lost their babies...and babies who lost their parents in the 9/11 attacks. Osama Bin Laden took PRIDE in his actions...and GLADLY accepted responsibility for those attacks. I still remember years ago after 9/11 the videos released by Osama Bin Laden of beheadings that the taliban performed on American soldiers. He was PROUD of those actions...and I am PROUD of the Navy seals that got to vindicate those families. No...Killing Osama Bin Laden won't bring back the babies who died in 9/11 or our soldiers beheaded on FILM but taking out such a prominent figure head certainly makes a statement.

I appreciated President Obama's speech to the nation and to the world last night and the celebration is much deserved. AND REMEMBER...The U.S. isn't the only country Osama Bin Laden tortured with his terrorism, hate, and pain. We have freed the WORLD of a prominent figurehead of hatred.

Very well said Cassie

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• I completely agree with you.

Yes, he was a horrible man in our Western opinions. However, to the people of his country (and other followers) he was anything but a terrorist.

It is not appropriate to run around cheering when anyone dies.

• imageyourfaceyourface:
    imagePiRSquared330:

agreed. 

also, i dont see why people are acting like americans are the only one celebrating. it's def not the case. turn on the news.

So true.

• imagekayteatrudeau:

I completely agree with you.

Yes, he was a horrible man in our Western opinions. However, to the people of his country (and other followers) he was anything but a terrorist.

It is not appropriate to run around cheering when anyone dies. No matter how horrible they were. It's tacky. Like you said it shows a bad example for our relations with other countries.

um, what? people being relieved he is dead is certainly not just a "western opinion."

• imagePiRSquared330:

This, I just couldn't put it into words. Thanks 330.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • imagelisajay09:
    imagekayteatrudeau:

It is not appropriate to run around cheering when anyone dies. No matter how horrible they were. It's tacky. Like you said it shows a bad example for our relations with other countries.

I completely disagree....I'm sure lots of people would dance on his grave if there was one.

Wow talk about insulting to those in his country. He was responsible for many deaths there and is very hated.
  • imagePiRSquared330:
    imagelisajay09:
    imagekayteatrudeau:

I completely disagree....I'm sure lots of people would dance on his grave if there was one.

Wow talk about insulting to those in his country. He was responsible for many deaths there and is very hated.

Again, I'm not claiming to know everything about world politics. Sorry if I insulted anyone.

After reading a post on the first page of this thread it reminded me how being Canadian seperated me from the pain this country felt at the time of the 9/11 attacks. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.

• There are two different issues being discussed, and it's all getting muddled.

Claiming that he's only a bad person in western opinion is rather bizarre. He slaughtered many muslims as well as westerners in the name of his extremist beliefs. He's a terrorist and a mass murderer, and there is no way to sugar coat that or make it go away.

That being said, I am glad that he is finally out of the picture and have no problem with people coming together to rejoice in the fact that the world is now rid of his hatred.

What bothered me was beach balls, pyramids, and the fact that it looked like a frat party had bled over to the white house. I didn't see a single person that was old enough to have not been a child during 9/11. It looked like a drunken orgy. 

• imagebuddhagouda:

There are two different issues being discussed, and it's all getting muddled.

Claiming that he's only a bad person in western opinion is rather bizarre. He slaughtered many muslims as well as westerners in the name of his extremist beliefs. He's a terrorist and a mass murderer, and there is no way to sugar coat that or make it go away.

That being said, I am glad that he is finally out of the picture and have no problem with people coming together to rejoice in the fact that the world is now rid of his hatred.

What bothered me was beach balls, pyramids, and the fact that it looked like a frat party had bled over to the white house. I didn't see a single person that was old enough to have not been a child during 9/11. It looked like a drunken orgy. 

Again, sorry for my post. I was not trying to get flamed.

• imagekayteatrudeau:
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.

thank you. 

• imageRuby_Soho:
    You're an idiot. She never compared the two events. All she said is that she thinks street parties are innappropriate. 1ht. Phone.

No one calls Pi an idiot!   ::dives into the fray to protect PiR's honor::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageHeather R:

No one calls Pi an idiot!   ::dives into the fray to protect PiR's honor::

I have no doubt that Irish can handle herself. 

• imageyourfaceyourface:
    imagekayteatrudeau:
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.

thank you. 

Embarrassed I have no issues admitting I'm wrong when I know I am.

Moving on...

• imagekayteatrudeau:

Embarrassed I have no issues admitting I'm wrong when I know I am.

Moving on...

no worries, seriously. and it wasn't that i was necessarily offended either or thought you were completely wrong but i did appreciate the sentiment nonetheless!

• I assure you that there is not one person that was there that day and survived only to be sickened by the celebrating.

I took off work today to be with my family, so we could finally have closure to the single most devastating day of our lives.   

• I'm not too keen on the parties as well. To me, death is never really something to be celebrated.

I'm relieved he was caught and got the punishment he deserved (although I don't agree with capital punishment).

Osama Bin Laden being killed doesn't bring back the thousands of people that died. I am relieved he was caught, but jubilance is hard to come by when I think about all the victims and their families. His death may bring them closure, but the pain is still there.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • riserstriserst member
    imagebeccaga16:

I think there is a difference between dancing in the streets to celebrate the death of innocent people and dancing to celebrate the death of the man who ordered the attacks that killed THOUSANDS innocent civilians.

I don't think we as Americans should be dancing in the streets to celebrate anyone's death. We should hold our heads high, but preserve some dignity at the same time.

I am glad that Bin Laden is gone. I agree with the prayer vigils, flags, etc... attending Bin Laden Death events/celebrations.. a bit much in my opinion. Why lower myself to their level. I can wear my pride and happiness over what has happened last nite on the inside.

• riserstriserst member
    imagelisajay09:
    imageriserst:
    imagebeccaga16:

I think there is a difference between dancing in the streets to celebrate the death of innocent people and dancing to celebrate the death of the man who ordered the attacks that killed THOUSANDS innocent civilians.

I don't think we as Americans should be dancing in the streets to celebrate anyone's death. We should hold our heads high, but preserve some dignity at the same time.

I am glad that Bin Laden is gone. I agree with the prayer vigils, flags, etc... attending Bin Laden Death events/celebrations.. a bit much in my opinion. Why lower myself to their level. I can wear my pride and happiness over what has happened last nite on the inside.

For many of us it's not so much about pride or dignity but, rather, justice being served to the person who plotted and executed the death of our loved ones.  It goes way beyond waving a flag and holding our heads up high.  He was pure evil and deserved to be removed from this earth.  I certainly think successfully ridding humanity of his hate warrants celebration. 

I totally agree with you except about the part of celebrating. Do we want to be known as a country for that kind of behavior? A previous poster said before that it looked like a bunch of college students partying it up. Very distasteful in my opinion. I would be ashamed to have my face on the news shown around the world acting like that. We are sooooo much better than that. Now is the time to prove it. He's gone. Too bad it didn't happen sooner. I hope that somehow this will bring some peace to the families that lost their loved ones.

• imageCassie730:
    imagelisajay09:
    imageriserst:
    imagebeccaga16:

For many of us it's not so much about pride or dignity but, rather, justice being served to the person who plotted and executed the death of our loved ones.  It goes way beyond waving a flag and holding our heads up high.  He was pure evil and deserved to be removed from this earth.  I certainly think successfully ridding humanity of his hate warrants celebration. 

I'm going to stop reading these fvcking posts and try to just chaulk is up to ignorance. I HAVE to believe for my sanity that the people who couldn't possibly understand these celebrations are not from NY or Washington, DC. They don't remember that day and can't possibly understand the bigger picture behind what this means. I will choose to believe those who are "sickened" or "disappointed" by the celebrations never saw the pictures of the babies who attended daycare inside the world trade center. Or the firefighters and EMT's who gave their lives running IN when everyone else was running OUT. I grew up 20 minutes from Washington, DC right outside of a Naval Base on a peninsula of Maryland. They shut down our town and carded people to even drive in. It took most people 6-12 hours to get home from work that day and cell phone coverage was non existent. For those of us with families in DC it was AWFUL...I can't even begin to FATHOM what those of you in NYC went through and I'm just glad that THIS YEAR on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 we can again CELEBRATE in the streets knowing that the figurehead who was proud to take credit for the evil that happened that day has been brought to justice.

I get being glad that he's dead. I get celebrating that he's dead. My only exception was with the fact that it looked like a drunken frat party, and I found mass singing of "We are the Champions" to be distasteful. There is a fine line between Celebration of an American Victory and a chance for closure (which are unquestionably warrented) and making asses out of ourselves and perpetuating the stupid drunk american stereotype.

• riserstriserst member
    imagebuddhagouda:
    imageCassie730:
    imagelisajay09:
    imageriserst:
    imagebeccaga16:

I'm going to stop reading these fvcking posts and try to just chaulk is up to ignorance. I HAVE to believe for my sanity that the people who couldn't possibly understand these celebrations are not from NY or Washington, DC. They don't remember that day and can't possibly understand the bigger picture behind what this means. I will choose to believe those who are "sickened" or "disappointed" by the celebrations never saw the pictures of the babies who attended daycare inside the world trade center. Or the firefighters and EMT's who gave their lives running IN when everyone else was running OUT. I grew up 20 minutes from Washington, DC right outside of a Naval Base on a peninsula of Maryland. They shut down our town and carded people to even drive in. It took most people 6-12 hours to get home from work that day and cell phone coverage was non existent. For those of us with families in DC it was AWFUL...I can't even begin to FATHOM what those of you in NYC went through and I'm just glad that THIS YEAR on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 we can again CELEBRATE in the streets knowing that the figurehead who was proud to take credit for the evil that happened that day has been brought to justice.

I get being glad that he's dead. I get celebrating that he's dead. My only exception was with the fact that it looked like a drunken frat party, and I found mass singing of "We are the Champions" to be distasteful. There is a fine line between Celebration of an American Victory and a chance for closure (which are unquestionably warrented) and making asses out of ourselves and perpetuating the stupid drunk american stereotype.

This EXACTLY... first thing I thought when I saw that is that we look like a bunch of jackasses... Chalk it up to the age I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"