December 2010 Moms

My doctor says that the baby is measuring two weeks smaller in weight than 33 weeks, 5 days (per the

I visited my doctor today for an ultrasound and was told that the baby was only measuring at 3.5 pounds (two weeks shy of the 33 weeks, 5 days), but that the baby hit all of the other measurement milestones.  She said that she wanted to induce me at 37 weeks.  I am a bit spooked.  Do you have any advice for me?

Re: My doctor says that the baby is measuring two weeks smaller in weight than 33 weeks, 5 days (per the

• Well I'm not a doctor, but if your LO is measuring small I don't understand why they would want to induce you early.  I'd think they would want your baby to stay in there as long as possible to grow and develop.

Also, my doctors have repeatedly told me that it is normal to measure plus or minus 2 weeks, so I don't understand why they are freaking out.  And the growth estimates are not completely reliable and can be off by as much as 20%.  Either there is more to this story or you might want to consider getting a second opinion. 

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I have had some issues with high blood pressure since my 3rd month and was hospitalized at 29 weeks (my BP tested at 180/110 during a routine doctor's appt. and I was hospitalized for 3 days).  I've been on bedrest ever since.  My doctor says me getting to 37 weeks would be the best thing.  I am so scared because I have done everything they have asked me to including all of the pills: Labetalol, baby aspirin and formerly Procardia (Procardia made me feel like I was dying, so she changed it).  I am due 12/30/10 and was hoping to deliver closer to that date.  Since the hospitalization, I have been so worried about the baby.  I hope it is at least 6 pounds and healthy.  My fingers are so crossed.  Thanks for your post.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Start eating a whole lot??

Sorry no advice besides that, but hope it works out for you!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagelindsayluong12:

Well I'm not a doctor, but if your LO is measuring small I don't understand why they would want to induce you early.  I'd think they would want your baby to stay in there as long as possible to grow and develop.

Also, my doctors have repeatedly told me that it is normal to measure plus or minus 2 weeks, so I don't understand why they are freaking out.  And the growth estimates are not completely reliable and can be off by as much as 20%.  Either there is more to this story or you might want to consider getting a second opinion. 

The reason they probably want her to deliver early is because slower growth can be caused by the placenta not working properly.  I'd think that they'd want to do another growth scan before making that final decision.

• imagelindsayluong12:

Well I'm not a doctor, but if your LO is measuring small I don't understand why they would want to induce you early.  I'd think they would want your baby to stay in there as long as possible to grow and develop.

This exactly.  Either there is a little more than your doc is saying, or there is something else they are worried about.  My baby was measuring small almost two weeks at the mid point- they did a few growth u/s and decided he was healthy, might just be a tiny bit small-  now they are thinking he might be too big! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Get a second opinion & different tests.  Don't make that decision based solely off a late-term ultrasound.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have been measuring "small" all along, and now been for 7 ultrasounds as a result.  One of the things they checked me for was low amniotic fluid.

I don't know what it could mean, sorry.  Just a small person growing inside of you?  Do small people run in either family?  I am hoping my Doctor will have more info for me at my next appointment Monday.

• Our baby was measuring small since about week 26. I had ultrasounds every 3 weeks to check her growth. Since it kept dropping (13th, 12th, 5th and less than 5th percentile) the doctor talked about delivering her at 37 weeks as well. I was monitored pretty closely and then my fluid dropped really low so I was hospitalized. 

Anyways, the point is, there was more than just one ultrasound that went into making that decision. As pp said, they deliver babies that are SGA/IUGR because they think there may be something wrong with the placenta and the baby will do better on the outside.

Also, I had an ultrasound the Thursday before my c-section and it said she was 4 pounds 9 ounces, but when she was born a few days later, she was actually 5 pounds 3 ounces.

I wouldn't worry too much, most babies are perfectly fine, even if they measure small. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I went for my 37 week ultrasound yesterday and the baby is measuring small, at 5.5 lbs. They want to induce me next week, at 38 weeks to make sure everything is ok. They did mention IUGR, but he scored very high on all of the tests. However, they still want to induce me. I am scheduled to have another ultrasound and NST next week before the induction. I was a little confused too as to why they wouldn't want him to stay in there and grow, but apparently if they aren't growing as they should at this point, they are safer out of the womb.
  • imagemeghan224:
    I went for my 37 week ultrasound yesterday and the baby is measuring small, at 5.5 lbs. They want to induce me next week, at 38 weeks to make sure everything is ok. They did mention IUGR, but he scored very high on all of the tests. However, they still want to induce me. I am scheduled to have another ultrasound and NST next week before the induction. I was a little confused too as to why they wouldn't want him to stay in there and grow, but apparently if they aren't growing as they should at this point, they are safer out of the womb.
    I know the op is old but since your response is new Ill reply :) The thing with IUGR babies is that they will thrive better out side the womb because usually there are placenta issues that are causing them to stop growing. Why keep a baby inside if its not helping and they will do better outside. I had DD at 37 weeks and she was 4lbs 9oz, small but perfectly healthy. She was the size of 32 weeker and in the 0-1% now at almost 5 months she is in the 47% and developmental right on track. Trust your drs to make the best choice for you and your baby, if you wanna chat feel free to pm me!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"