Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Diaper rash won't go away

DS has had a diaper rash for a week. We use cotton prefolds with a fleece liner. I've been letting him airdry during changings and use cjS butter every change. During the day e gets changed roughly every 2 hours. At night 3-4 depending upon his sleeping. Any suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper rash won't go away

• I use good ol cornstarch powder and let him have naked time for a bit before and after his nightly baths, rarely ever get a diaper rash, and in the odd event we even get a little bit of one, it usually goes away if we smudge a bit of Desitin on there, dash some powder on top of that so it doesn't rub off on the diaper easily, and slap a diaper on him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This happened with my first DD...She was older like around 1 at the time though.  I used boudreaux's and cornstarch religiously when I noticed it and it just wouldn't go away!  It ended up being yeast so I used some OTC antifungal cream and it cleared up immediately.  Just a thought.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had a bad case and found a creme called triderma at babies r us that has a different active ingrediant than zinc oxide which is the active in most cremes.  it worked when the other cremes wouldnt, and we also switched to the pampers senitive swaddlers rather than the ones with dry max. hope this helps.
    BFP #1 2/10/10: No HB on 4/29/10 at 15 wk, D&C 4/30/10, Baby measured 11-12 wks. First Pregnancy and first loss. BFP #2 7/25/10: Blake Daniel arrived 3/25/11 BFP #3 3/9/12: Our Turkey Baby! Due Date: 11/19/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Our pedi suggested 100% petroleum jelly. Cleared it right up.
  • DS had one around 3 weeks old and it ended up being a yeast rash. If you are concerned I would call the doctor!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that it might be yeast. Call the pedi and see if they want you to come in so they can take a look and give you a prescription, or if it's ok to use something OTC.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our pedi recommended Triple Paste.  It works awesome.  If the rash has raised red bumps, it may be yeast and you should call the doc.
  • DD had a diaper rash in the hospital and we used 40% Zinc cream they gave us.  It is the same thing as Desitin Maximum Strength.  She has a rash now that I have tried literally everything on and turns out it is yeast currently using Monistat to try and treat it.
  • imageLordValuemart:
    I use good ol cornstarch powder and let him have naked time for a bit before and after his nightly baths, rarely ever get a diaper rash, and in the odd event we even get a little bit of one, it usually goes away if we smudge a bit of Desitin on there, dash some powder on top of that so it doesn't rub off on the diaper easily, and slap a diaper on him.

Ditto! 

• Look closely at the rash.  Does it have little red dots to it?  If so, it's a yeast or fungal rash that almost no over the counter remedies are going to get rid of completely.  Call your pedi and they will prescribe an ointment to you.  Should knock it out within a day.

Also, make sure it is not the brand of diapers you are using too that is causing the rash.  I know a lot of bumpies have probs with Pampers Dry Max.

• imageLordValuemart:
    I use good ol cornstarch powder and let him have naked time for a bit before and after his nightly baths, rarely ever get a diaper rash, and in the odd event we even get a little bit of one, it usually goes away if we smudge a bit of Desitin on there, dash some powder on top of that so it doesn't rub off on the diaper easily, and slap a diaper on him.
    This Exactly! My son has a horrible diaper rash a few weeks after he was born. We tried everything Desitin, Balmex, Triple paste, Vasaline, went through two prescrptions of "Magic Butt Paste"  I even tried my own mixture of vasaline, desitin balmex and antibiotic ointment. Non of which worked then my mom said to try prue cornstarch. His lil hiney went from red inflammed and bleeding to totally healed no redness in a little over a week. I saw great improvement in just two days. Give that a shot. I know they say to not really use it because of risk of aspriation of the powder. But, as long as you don't go crazy and let it fly all over you should have no problems. HTH!
  • imageALYEATS84:
    DD had a diaper rash in the hospital and we used 40% Zinc cream they gave us.  It is the same thing as Desitin Maximum Strength.  She has a rash now that I have tried literally everything on and turns out it is yeast currently using Monistat to try and treat it.
    Use Lotromin or the store brand. My DD is 2 an struggles with yeast alot this is the only thing that gets rid of it. Its kind of pricey but probably around the same as the Monistat.
  • Didn't read all the responses, but bordeaux's butt paste is amazing - I would try not to use cornstarch or baby powder as it's bad for your baby's lungs - but to each their own.

Good luck! :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • I would try using a diaper rash cream like Triple Paste or Desitin. You can still use your cloth diapers, just make sure to keep using the fleece liners every time. We had the same issue when we first started cloth, but once we used the other diaper cream, it cleared right up and then you can go back to using CJ's at every change as a preventative.

Also, you could try using a different detergent to wash the prefolds in, it could make a difference. If the baby's diapers are totally soaked during the night changes, you may want to consider something more absorbent. Prefolds were not enough for DS during the night, so we added a hemp doubler inside the prefold.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageAnniee1963:

I would try using a diaper rash cream like Triple Paste or Desitin. You can still use your cloth diapers, just make sure to keep using the fleece liners every time. We had the same issue when we first started cloth, but once we used the other diaper cream, it cleared right up and then you can go back to using CJ's at every change as a preventative.

Also, you could try using a different detergent to wash the prefolds in, it could make a difference. If the baby's diapers are totally soaked during the night changes, you may want to consider something more absorbent. Prefolds were not enough for DS during the night, so we added a hemp doubler inside the prefold.

I was thinking the same thing about the nighttime diapers. I'm going to try his pocket diapers tonight and see how it goes. I use Rock N Green, but I prepped in tide free which I know uses enzymes which can irritate baby's skin. Hopefully that's not it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"