Parenting

Would it be crazy to pierce a 2yo ears?

Would this be a horrible age for it?  And DD is one to take off her own clothes and diaper frequently.  She wants earrings but I worry this is not a good age for it, anyone with experience?
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Would it be crazy to pierce a 2yo ears?

• Have them do it at the same time vs one and then the other.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imager9stedt:
    Have them do it at the same time vs one and then the other.

But what about the upkeep?  That is the part that scares me the most.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, I have a boy!  I have no freakin' idea!! :D
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I did the girls' when DD#1 was 2 and DD#2 was 6 months.  DD#1 really really really wanted earrings and I'm glad I did it.  They did do both ears at the same time.  She cried for less than 10 seconds, asked for her sucker and announced that it was DD#2's turn.  Totally no big deal and she loved them.  She was great about letting us clean her ears and I never saw her messing with them.  That said, I don't know if she messed with them or if they just kinda grew funny, but after about 6 months, one earring was so low on her ear that even little studs were hanging over the bottom (or close).  We gave her the option to take both earrings out and try again when she was older or just take that side out, let it heal and re-pierce it (understanding it would hurt).  She decided to get it re-piereced and did great again.  We haven't had a problem since and I'm told these kinds of things can happen even if the kid isn't doing anything.  I love having the girls ears pierced, but 2 is a really rough age to get it done.  If I had it to do over again, I'd do it at 6 months like DD#2 or at 5ish.
  • TSDTSD member

If not doing as an infant, my inclination would be then to wait till it can be a special thing she'd understand- like at 5 or 6.

• imageTSD:

If not doing as an infant, my inclination would be then to wait till it can be a special thing she'd understand- like at 5 or 6.

this is what I'm going to do.  I think I missed my window of opportunity and at this point-she won't even leave barrettes in her hair...I fear earrings wouldn't stand a chance!

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • TSDTSD member
    imageKapalua:
    imageTSD:

this is what I'm going to do.  I think I missed my window of opportunity and at this point-she won't even leave barrettes in her hair...I fear earrings wouldn't stand a chance!

I just think it's a waste at 2 when you can use it as a milestone bribe/reward a little later! Plus at 5 or 6, she can be proud to take care of them herself.

• I personally believe that not one should have their ears pierced until they are at an age when they can really take care of them on their own.  That being said, I know a lot of my friends have pierced their DD's ears at 2 or some even younger.  I was 8 when I got my done and my nieces were around 6 or 7.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Jen,

Like you, I waited to pierce our dd till she was almost 2 yrs old. I procrastinated for one  reason or another. However, one day I kept seeing more and more babies and little girls w/ cute little earrings and I wanted them for our dd too. She did too and came into the family room with one of my earrings and asking how to put it in her ears to look like mommy! Dh said for me to take her to have her ears pierced before we had to take her to the ER to remove it from her ear canal :) Like your dd, she takes off clothes, shoes and socks constantly, but never bothered her earrings!  

I asked our ped who said it was fine to go ahead at 23 mos if mommy could care for them. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced which included some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort. She recommended Piercing Pagoda due to their level of professional training and experience in infant ear piercing. We took her there and were very pleased!

I'd say if your're thinking about it, then your mommy intuition is telling you now is best and I'd go ahead. You haven't missed the window of opportunity. Some say not to do it as a toddler, but our ped had some great ideas to follow for toddlers and little girls.

If you'd like our ped's suggestions, write me an e-mail. I'll send your a pic of our dd with her earrings and our ped's tips. 

Amyswor@hotmail.com

• I didn't let my older girls get theirs till they were 12.  One of my idiot brother's said I have to get the youngest one's done so everyone knows she's a girl.Hmm  I told him I didn't know that was a requirement in life and I know she's a girl.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Weird. This amyswor chick hunts down all the piercing posts on here, along with blogs about piercing. Wonder what she's trying to spam :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"