Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Does it cost money to check a Pack N. Play at the airport?

Hi Ladies, 

We are traveling with LO for the first time. I called the hotel to see about getting a crib and they said they would charge us an additional $300 to use a crib for the week. I don't want to spend that kind of money to reserve a crib. So needless to say I was going to bring his pack n' play. Do you know what the cost is for checking the pack n' play? (i.e $50)

I read that they allow you to check a carseat and stroller for free??

Mommy travelers, did you purchase the car seat cover for traveling? Sorry if these questions seem a bit funny...this is our first time traveling.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Does it cost money to check a Pack N. Play at the airport?

• Options
    I think it depends on the airline. We flew Southwest in January and it was free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'll call the airline and check with them and there guidelines with baby items. Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I fly jetblue and it was not free.  The carseat and stroller are free and I guess you can check the PnP as your suitcase for free

I use a Baby Bjorn travel grib that folds up super tiny with two carrying straps and it weighs nothing

• Options

For us they were  going to charge us.  We ended up using one at the resort for free.  That is crazy they want to charge $300 for a week use.  I would go buy a cheap pack-in-play once there and then donate it as leaving to someplace, it would be cheaper!

• Options

imageJocelyn0415:
    I think it depends on the airline. We flew Southwest in January and it was free.

I believe with all airlines it's counted towards a bag, but doesn't have a weight limit.  Guessing the above poster was able to check it for free because checked bags are free on Southwest. If you are flying an airline that charges baggage fees you will need to pay the standard fee.

• Options
    if you are traveling Southwest you can check luggage & 2 baby items
  • Options

We've flown with our PnP on American and Hawaiin Air and we didn't have to pay for our PnP.

Also, we recently traveled and used the crib at the hotel, and we were told we'd have to pay, but once we got there we were not charged.

I'd call the airline, if they charge you, get a cheap pnp when you get to your destination and then donate it when your done.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We did purchase a carseat bag/cover for the seat when traveling.  It came back with black grease streaks on it, so we're glad that we had it.

The bag I bought ($12 at marshall's) was big enough for our britax roundabout, but not big enough for our britax boulevard, btw.  And it said that it "fits all standard convertable seats".  So if you have one of the fairly big covertable seats, make sure the bag you get will fit it.

• Options
    We've flown a lot. I never thought to buy a bag / cover for our car seat. The airline puts it in a pretty heavy duty plastic bag. The plastic bag has never been torn, damaged, or dirty. We usually fly SW, and they never charge for baggage. I'm not sure about other airlines. When we flew United I called and asked, and they were going to charge us, so we left the P-n-P at home and used the one at the hotel, which was free. I think if the airline charges you, it will be about $50.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Delta does not charge a fee for PNP.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    When we flew to visit family with DD#1, I ended up having a family member pick-up one used off Craigs List locally for $30 rather than paying to check ours.  We are going to visit again next month and we will be able to use it again!

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Options

imageLeap08:
    We've flown a lot. I never thought to buy a bag / cover for our car seat. The airline puts it in a pretty heavy duty plastic bag. The plastic bag has never been torn, damaged, or dirty. We usually fly SW, and they never charge for baggage. I'm not sure about other airlines. When we flew United I called and asked, and they were going to charge us, so we left the P-n-P at home and used the one at the hotel, which was free. I think if the airline charges you, it will be about $50.

The carseat bags are nice for carrying the carseat around the airport.  They have straps, some have wheels, and some are designed to be carried like a backpack.  If you are traveling alone this makes getting through the airport with everything a lot easier.  Last time I flew with DS (alone) I actually carried him in the Ergo and sat the carseat in the stroller, wrapping the straps around the stroller handles to keep it secure.  Worked great as I ran from Terminal A to Terminal C in Dallas/Ft. Worth to catch my connection that started boarding 5 minutes before my delayed flight landed!

• Options

We flew Alaska and they checked the carseat and stroller for free. I am not sure if they would have done the same for a PNP. They provided great bags for our carseat and stroller, so I am glad I did not buy one. But I am not sure about all other airlines.

It would probably be best just to call your airline and see what they, specifically, will do.

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"