Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone have/getting an IUD?

I'm getting one on Friday- I've never had one. If you have one which do you have? A copper one or mirana? Debating which to get. What should I expect? Should I do anything prior to the apt? Or after? 
Colton Emanuel
March 16, 2011

My Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone have/getting an IUD?

• Options
    I had the paraguard (copper) IUD for 7 years before getting pregnant.  I had no issues with it at all.  The one thing I did notice is that when I had it taken out (for TTC purposes) my periods were significantly lighter.  So expect a heavier period with the copper IUD, however I loved not worrying about taking a pill or something.  A couple of my friends have or had the Mirena & gave mixed reviews on it.  Some of them love it because they don't get any periods, while some hated it because they were spotting for weeks on end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After I had DS1 I got the Mirena and I liked it at first, but I started getting massive migranes because of it and had to have it removed.  So this time I think I'm going to try the Paragard (copper) because I don't want to have to remember to take a pill everyday.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic I LOVE my little red heads!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am waiting for my next cycle to get the Paragard!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I recently got Mirena and have had no real problems with it - you do spot for a while - more so if you are breastfeeding because your estrogen levels are low - but it wasn't any big deal especially in comparison to dealing with the lochia after delivery. I took some Ibuprofen before my appointment and was good to go..they even messed up the inital insertion and had to do another one and even then the pain wasn't too bad.

Be prepared for mild shooting pains in your groin as it settles in your body - but that's all normal. I would recommend it for sure. :) Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • Options

I have endometriosis and in order to control it, I had the Mirena inserted before getting pregnant for the first time. My body rejected it (although I'm not sure if this was because I'd never had a baby or if my body just hated it) and had it fully removed 2 weeks later. A month later, I found out I was pregnant with my first. At 11 weeks, we discovered we'd lost the baby.

I've heard this has happened to others as well. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or if there's a link between Mirena removal and m/c (there's nothing reported that's in the package insert), but it's enough that I wouldn't get any IUD inserted at this point. However, I also know a ton of women who love the IUD and wouldn't use any other form of BC since it's so convenient and there are few side effects (for them). Just wanted to put in my 2 cents 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I have the Mirena, i got it about 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far I like it. It hurt a little when it was put in, honestly the worst part was when the doctor had to "pinch my cervix" while placing it and even this wasn't that bad. I would recommend taking Ibreprophen 45 min to an hour before your appointment to help with any potential cramping.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    I got mirena last week.  Insertion wasn't too bad, it mostly felt like bad menstrual cramps-I'd take motrin before or have some for afterwards. I've had no problems so far...II do believe its made my boobs bigger though lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"