Cloth Diapering

Anyone else get the GMD "how to booklet" and suddenly freak out?!

I researched CD throughout my first pregnancy and then committed to ECD this time around and have been researching and buying like crazy. Now I get the "how-to booklet" from GMD and it kinda freaked me out! My questions after reading:

1. Do you wash all your CD laundry together? If not, what do you separate?

2. Do you use a oxygen cleaner or other "disinfectant" in addition to your detergent?

3. Do you use your CD safe detergent on ALL your laundry now? Can I never use mainstream detergent or fabric softener on my clothes again?!

Thank you so much ladies, you are always so helpful for us newbies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else get the GMD "how to booklet" and suddenly freak out?!

• 1. I wash all my CD laundry (including wetbags) together, after everything is prepped properly.

2. I have used oxyclean to strip, but it's really not something I do frequently.

3. I still use other detergents and have no problems with my CDs. I don't use any fabric softener though (I love my wool dryer balls!) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Meh, I got that thing and it totally spazzed me out.We've been exclusively CDing for 9 months with no problems, so don't be too freaked!

All CD laundry gets washed together once it's prepped. No "disinfectant", just Tide powder. No, we don't use CD detergent on our CDs or our laundry (we got stinky microfiber with anything but tide). I wouldn't use fabric softener if you can help it, it will actually coat your dryer. Try vinegar in the wash for regular clothes, it works great. 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Haha!  I read that thing cover to cover and had the same reaction.  I kept it for trouble shooting though.  I still use my tide in my othr clothes though have given up all softeners.  I haven't used oxyclean yet.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • YES!!! That thing was ridiculous. If I had read that prior to deciding to CD, I would've said forget it. I'm still a newb too so I have no advice but I wanted to let you know I felt the same way.
    "If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • WHEW!!!! I feel about a hundred times better now! Thank you for your help. I love my fabric softener but can do without if I can just keep my detergent :)

• 1) I wash all CD laundry together, but some stuff does not get dried the same.

2) I don't use anything other than my CD detergent ( I use Charlie's Soap ).

3) I don't use Charlie's on everything now, I use a "free and clear" detergent (whatever brand is on sale) for most everything in our house. I use fabric softner on some things (towels and sheets) but I make sure that I wash another load of cloths before doing diaper laundry again, just to help get residue out.

•  LOL, I totally freaked when I read that too!

1. Do you wash all your CD laundry together? If not, what do you separate? it all gets washed together.

2. Do you use a oxygen cleaner or other "disinfectant" in addition to your detergent? no, haven't found a reason to use it

3. Do you use your CD safe detergent on ALL your laundry now? Can I never use mainstream detergent or fabric softener on my clothes again?! no, i just use Tide original powder HE for everything.  I also use Ecover fabric softener and have noticed no negative impact on my CDs.

• Ha!  Yeah, I remember that thing totally confusing me.  I guess it's a good thing that I ordered my GMDs early enough that I totally forgot I had it by the time DS got here.

1) I wash all our CD laundry together, assuming I'm not prepping anything (for prepping you want to separate natural and synthetic fibers).  Oh, that doesn't include wool - wool gets handwashed.  Actually, I usually throw any other dirty baby stuff in with the diapers (clothes, towels, etc).

2) Haven't so far.  I've done two bleach loads; just throw in a small amount of bleach after the first rinse, do a soak for a bit, and then wash as usual.  If I used bleach, I'll throw in an extra rinse at the end.  Otherwise I do cold rinse, hot wash, extra cold rinse.  FWIW, I did the bleach washes because I had time and it seemed like a good idea, not because of any specific issues.

3) I use the same detergent for all our laundry, but it's not one of the official CD-safe ones.  We use Arm & Hammer Sensitive.  I had a ton of it when I was prepping, so I figured I'd just use it and if the baby had problems with it I could switch later.  4 months in and we've had zero repelling or irritation problems.  I have stopped using regular fabric softener on all laundry; instead, we use Ecover.   It's a liquid you add during the last rinse, and is CD-safe (just don't use it on PUL items).  I bought ours at Whole Foods.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"