Working Moms

Do you get an "Appreciation" day?

This time of year is Teacher's Appreciation Week and Administrative Professional Appreciation Day.  I've always wondered- why is it that certain professions get appreciation days?  There is no software developer appreciation day.  I wish someone would buy me gifts and take me out to lunch just to say thanks for doing your job- the job that you are already getting paid to do.  I don't mean this to be disrespectful to teachers or secretaries, i just wish i got appreciated too.  Anyone else feel this way?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you get an "Appreciation" day?

• Yeah, then I remind myself I get paid far more than secretaries and teachers.
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • I'm a secretary and have never been acknowledged on admin prof. day anyways - it all depends on who you work with.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejenuine:
    Yeah, then I remind myself I get paid far more than secretaries and teachers.

Yes

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I consider every other Friday when my pay magically appears in my checking account to be my appreciation day.

Honestly, I don't get these "special" days either nor do I celebrate them.

Through high-school, college and beyond I worked at a family shoe store where we actually measured people's feet and put the shoes (and sometimes even those little nylon footies) on them and I always wondered why someone like a hairdresser gets tips but me, who was touching people's feet all day never got a tip.  Go figure.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imagejenuine:

Yes- but there is also Boss' Day and I know my boss makes more than I do (at least I hope so). I always joke that there should be a "you work for me but your not my admin day."

• I taught for 5 years, and you're not missing out on anything - just one morning of donuts & OJ in the break room.

• imageJDoe11111:
    I'm a secretary and have never been acknowledged on admin prof. day anyways - it all depends on who you work with.

Same here, just because there is a day doesn't mean we actually get stuff.

• I work with teachers, admin assistants, social workers, and guidance counselors who all get appreciation days or weeks. We don't have anything. Guess I just have to be happy with the thanks I get from students and parents who are glad that I'm there to help them. I think I can live with that.
  • imageMrs.0428:

imagejenuine:

Yes- but there is also Boss' Day and I know my boss makes more than I do (at least I hope so). I always joke that there should be a "you work for me but your not my admin day."

Your boss doesn't get dumped on and just expected to pick up the pieces like these people do. I think I would get laughed out of my office as a kiss-a$$ if I got something for my boss on Bosses Day. Not as many people celebrate Bosses Day as do teacher and sec. appreciation days.

We get a company wide Christmas Party and Barbecue when the economy is well, both of which are appreciation days. Some people get bonuses. I personally feel rewarded when words of praise reach my boss's ear about me. Pick your "appreciation" and go with it. Or get over it. Secretaries and teachers work too hard to not deserve one day of recognition, just like Mothers and Father?s deserve their day in the sun.

met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • imagejenuine:
    imageMrs.0428:

imagejenuine:

Your boss doesn't get dumped on and just expected to pick up the pieces like these people do. I think I would get laughed out of my office as a kiss-a$$ if I got something for my boss on Bosses Day. Not as many people celebrate Bosses Day as do teacher and sec. appreciation days.

We get a company wide Christmas Party and Barbecue when the economy is well, both of which are appreciation days. Some people get bonuses. I personally feel rewarded when words of praise reach my boss's ear about me. Pick your "appreciation" and go with it. Or get over it. Secretaries and teachers work too hard to not deserve one day of recognition, just like Mothers and Father?s deserve their day in the sun.

Wow- because I said I joked there should be a "you work for me but your not my admin day." Never said I actually expected something other than my paycheck, it's a joke. All I did was point out that there is also a Boss' Appreciation Day as well which people weren't commenting on.  Administrative Appreciation day isn't on my store bought calander but Boss' Day sure is.  I never said I wasn't going to do something for our Admin or DS' teachers when he is in school.  In fact our Admin's card is already sign, the happy hour email for her has been sent out and the money for her gift card has been collected.

p.s. Apparently we treat our Admin pretty damn well around her because I don't think she would ever say she gets "dumped on" any more than the rest of us do.  She might be the admin but she gets treated just like everyone else on this team.

• imageCarabiner252:
    We have Nurse's Week. What a joke. The nurses do all the planning and fund raising for it. I thought the point was that the doctors and administrators were supposed to appreciate the nurses, not nurses do all the work and thank themselves. A true "thank you" would be to let it slide one year. That would be one less thing on my to do list and I would appreciate it. I hear some hospitals actually do a good job with it but that has not been my experience.
    I'm a Nurse as well. I just wish we would have appropriate ( at least some what safe ) staffing. We get a generic company wide email saying thanks to everyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We created our own fictional week a few years ago. Sadly there is no planning week. Most people thy ask what my career is have never heard what a city planner is and those who have associate me with that person who said they couldn't build X at there house. My admin on the other hand, one sleeps at her desk while the other organizes her kids boy scout stuff at work all day. It's a tough job!
  • imagekarleegirl:
    imageCarabiner252:
    We have Nurse's Week. What a joke. The nurses do all the planning and fund raising for it. I thought the point was that the doctors and administrators were supposed to appreciate the nurses, not nurses do all the work and thank themselves. A true "thank you" would be to let it slide one year. That would be one less thing on my to do list and I would appreciate it. I hear some hospitals actually do a good job with it but that has not been my experience.
    I'm a Nurse as well. I just wish we would have appropriate ( at least some what safe ) staffing. We get a generic company wide email saying thanks to everyone.

LOL, at least you get an email...I don't even get that.

• There is a physician appreciation day, but I always seem to hear about it after the fact. DH on the other had got a big fruit/candy basket from his off staff on physician's day, but probably b/c he works closely with them on a daily basis. FWIW he gave out gift certificates to his secretaries and nurses on their appreciation days as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a teacher, and I agree with you 100%.  Smile  I get paid to do my job, and that's really enough.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm a preschool teacher (one year olds) and I appreciate all the random little stuff and the thank yous, but my REAL appreciation day is when it clicks in one of my kids minds that they CAN walk and they WANT to walk and they just stand up and go! Best. Job. Ever.
    No one I would rather be tied to! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the biggest difference between teaching and other jobs (and why we deserve appreciation) is that it is one of the only jobs where it's evidently perfectly acceptable for people (read: parents) with no experience or relevant training or knowledge to tell you how to do your job, and in some cases you're expected to listen. I would never dream of telling anyone how to do their job, unless I work with them and it's part of my job to tell them what to do. I can't think of any other job where people tell you how to do it. I definitely deserve a little extra appreciation for that (not to mention we don't get paid enough, oh, and someone else decides when we can take time off, and if we take additional time we still have to do the work). Sorry I'm a little bitter today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageceliabwatson:
    I think the biggest difference between teaching and other jobs (and why we deserve appreciation) is that it is one of the only jobs where it's evidently perfectly acceptable for people (read: parents) with no experience or relevant training or knowledge to tell you how to do your job, and in some cases you're expected to listen. I would never dream of telling anyone how to do their job, unless I work with them and it's part of my job to tell them what to do. I can't think of any other job where people tell you how to do it. I definitely deserve a little extra appreciation for that (not to mention we don't get paid enough, oh, and someone else decides when we can take time off, and if we take additional time we still have to do the work). Sorry I'm a little bitter today.

What other jobs have you had?  Every job I've ever worked in, including teaching, retail, law firm, etc. I've had other people (clients, customers, parents, etc.) telling me how they think I should do my job.  I don't think that is solely experienced by teachers.  Nor is being told what days you can take off and that even if you're off you're still expected to get certain work done.  How many retail workers get the day after Thanksgiving off?  I'll bet every teacher though has that day off, not to mention getting off around all the major holidays and a long summer break.  As for not getting paid enough, I guess that depends on where you are a teacher.  Come to Milwaukee, teachers make quite a good living here.

Sorry, I'm just weary of hearing teachers talk about how hard their jobs are.  Can't we all just agree that all jobs have their good and bad parts and that all workers deserve to be appreciated if they are doing their jobs well?

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imageitsmevkb:

imageceliabwatson:
    I think the biggest difference between teaching and other jobs (and why we deserve appreciation) is that it is one of the only jobs where it's evidently perfectly acceptable for people (read: parents) with no experience or relevant training or knowledge to tell you how to do your job, and in some cases you're expected to listen. I would never dream of telling anyone how to do their job, unless I work with them and it's part of my job to tell them what to do. I can't think of any other job where people tell you how to do it. I definitely deserve a little extra appreciation for that (not to mention we don't get paid enough, oh, and someone else decides when we can take time off, and if we take additional time we still have to do the work). Sorry I'm a little bitter today.

What other jobs have you had?  Every job I've ever worked in, including teaching, retail, law firm, etc. I've had other people (clients, customers, parents, etc.) telling me how they think I should do my job.  I don't think that is solely experienced by teachers.  Nor is being told what days you can take off and that even if you're off you're still expected to get certain work done.  How many retail workers get the day after Thanksgiving off?  I'll bet every teacher though has that day off, not to mention getting off around all the major holidays and a long summer break.  As for not getting paid enough, I guess that depends on where you are a teacher.  Come to Milwaukee, teachers make quite a good living here.

Sorry, I'm just weary of hearing teachers talk about how hard their jobs are.  Can't we all just agree that all jobs have their good and bad parts and that all workers deserve to be appreciated if they are doing their jobs well?

Thank You.  Every teacher I know makes at least $10k more than me and with twice the vacation time.  And I bring home my work at night too.  

Don't mean to sound bitter - I know teachers have a tough and very important job.  But does "appreciation" really mean I need to take PTO so I can bake cookies and bring in donuts?

• imageitsmevkb:

imageceliabwatson:

People google their cancer then come in and tell me what chemo they need and even what vein to put their iv in. I just politely say no mam that's not a vein just a freckle. So I'm pretty experienced with that crap.

• Stupid iPhone put my response in the middle of the post I quoted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"