May 2011 Moms

Epidural/Enema/Urinary Catheter question: Fun stuff I know!

Currently going through my birth plan and some questions came up:

1) If you get an epidural, do you have to get a urinary catheter? Can you say no and still get an epidural?

2nd time moms who have: Doesn't this get in the way....? Is this bothersome/painful?

2)  What are ppl's thoughts on getting an enema? Pros/Cons? Any articles ppl know on this topic on the bump? I couldn't find any

Thanks and Happy Easter!!!....great Easter questions from me huh?!

Re: Epidural/Enema/Urinary Catheter question: Fun stuff I know!

• They can put the cath in after you are numb from the epi and it won't be painful.  A full bladder can impede labor progress and you can't get up to go pee or feel the urge when you have an epi.  I've heard of people not having a catheter with an epi but most people I have talked to had one and I did too.  

I don't know why you would want an enema.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was never even questioned nor was an enema even mentioned.

As for a catheter, I think it is necessary. You are on fluids while having an epi for sure, and all that fluid has to go somewhere. I think it would be an unsafe test on your bladder to let it go so long without emptying it. As for getting in the way-no, you will never even notice! 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • They did the catheter after the epi so I didn't feel it. And I wouldn't have wanted go without one because I couldn't get up to pee (or even tell if I needed to pee!)

They took it out when it came time to push.

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
  • What Iris said. I had a foley soon after I got my epi, I could see the nurse getting it ready, but never felt a thing. I was never aware I even had it. With an epi you can't really get up to hit the bathroom so you most likely get cathed. As far as an enema, if you mean before labor, I don't know of it being practiced as much as in the past.
  • Ditto to the other girls.  I never even thought to not get a catheter after the epi. You are numb, where are you going to pee and how?  I didn't feel it because like the others, I got it after.

No mention of enema either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Ditto to Iris

2. I did an enema before my induction with DS. According to my OB, there wasn't a risk so I did it with his "okay" first. And YES, I did it to try and avoid the dreaded "poop on the table" scenario.  I'll do it again if for some reason I go way past my due date & have to be induced, otherwise I'll have to ask to see if it's still okay if I do it prior to being admitted to L&D in normal circumstances...I would be absolutely devastated if I pooped on the table! (Not so much because of just doing it since I'm sure all of the staff would be professional and I wouldn't even notice with everything else going on, but because I fear my DH would never look at me the same)

• Thanks Ladies!

The birth plan template I am using mentioned the enema as an option, which is why I asked, but I thought it just sounded like another unpleasant experience that I'd like to avoid if possible!!!!

• Forgive me but devastated if your husband saw you pooped while you were delivering his child? Its not like you got sloppy drunk and shat on yourself. What's going to happen when you get old and God forbid you need his assistance getting cleaned up?
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekathygrzywnowicz:
    Forgive me but devastated if your husband saw you pooped while you were delivering his child? Its not like you got sloppy drunk and shat on yourself. What's going to happen when you get old and God forbid you need his assistance getting cleaned up?

:::giggle, giggle::::

I know that I pooped the first time, mh procreated with me again and pretty sure I will again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekathygrzywnowicz:
    Forgive me but devastated if your husband saw you pooped while you were delivering his child? Its not like you got sloppy drunk and shat on yourself. What's going to happen when you get old and God forbid you need his assistance getting cleaned up?

Yep. I'm not nearly as modest as DH, but he clearly has OCD issues about cleanliness/bathroom modesty. To date, I've never heard him urinate, heard his flatulence, etc EVER. I know he does these things obviously but he's very particular about it. To each their own. Sometimes I'm ornery and will throw gross humor in just to get to him (I grew up with 3 brothers & a tom-boy sis so you can imagine our household!), but in general I try to be respectful of his neurosis. If the tables were turned, I wouldn't have an issue with any of his bodily functions.

And he's already scared to death to be present in L&D anyhow. He faints at the sight of blood, he's hyperventilated in a hospital (and at his GF's funeral too)...ohhh this will be a fun L&D with him, but at least I've been through this by myself already so I feel confident about L&D even if he does pass out (which is possible, but I think unlikely)

Plus we're still newlyweds and we're in the "new" phase. We just got married Oct last year. Don't judge!   I'm certain that he'll eventually get over this "overly modest" phase. I joke about it with my mom and she shared that it's something we'll grow into and be more comfortable about with time.

• imagetrixie2003:

Thanks Ladies!

The birth plan template I am using mentioned the enema as an option, which is why I asked, but I thought it just sounded like another unpleasant experience that I'd like to avoid if possible!!!!

Apparently some hospitals will offer them as a "courtesy", but I've never heard of them being required- its unnecessary. 

• Hi! I'm a lurker usually, but had to answer this.

I had an epidural with my second and did NOT have a catheter while in labor.  Granted I only had the epi for a few hours before she was born, but they never even mentioned it.  There isn't a problem with peeing on yourself because you can't feel your muscles to relax them enough to pee.  I know this because after I gave birth they allowed me 45 minutes to try and pee on my own, but my epi wasn't worn off enough yet to let me, so I ended up with a catheter (still numb enough it didn't hurt at all) to drain my bladder (they took it out right after) and the amount of urine they got should have had me peeing all over everything if I'd been able to during labor.

As for the enema, it's a personal choice, tho most hospitals don't offer them anymore.  It used to be standard practice 30 years or so ago, but isn't considered necessary anymore.  Personally I find an enema to be great for late term constipation as a non-stimulant option, and I've chosen to use it as a "clean out" prior to active labor as well.  I've also heard (tho I can't speak to the validity of this at all, it's just something I've heard from a few people) that not having anything in your intestines makes pushing the baby out easier since there is nothing "in the way".  Like I said, I can't speak to whether it's true or not, but I can say that I only pushed for about 3 contractions with my dd and she was out...
  • I asked at my prenatal classes, and it turns out my hospital does do epi's without catheters. I was curious, so I asked. Of course, they also do true "walking epi's" where they let you out of bed, which is also quite uncommon from what I gather. Honestly, I don't think I'll care if I get to the point I want one, but I wanted to know my options anyway. I think such things vary by hospital policy, and if they tell you they come as a package, that's the deal for getting the epi.

If a hospital mentioned my enema, I'd be looking for a time machine back to 2011.

• I haven't had my c-section yet, but I was told I would need a catheter. The reasoning I was given is that with a c-section you are numb from the waist down, you can't get up to use the bathroom, and may not even know you have to go. It's just easier for everyone if you have a catheter as opposed to randomly using the bathroom on the operating table or something.

As a side note, I did have a catheter last month when I was in the hospital for surgery. I had it in for about 3 days. They inserted it in the ER before taking me to prep for surgery and it didn't hurt at all. It was a little uncomfortable but not painful in the least, the nurse who did it was really quick and it was over before I knew it. The worst part for me was that it was a bit painful using the bathroom for a few days after it came out, but as I had it in for so long I was told that was normal, and they did tests to make sure I didn't have an infection or anything. I'm sure that wont happen with a c-section catheter though as it will only be in for a few hours, until you can walk or atleast use a bed pan (I would imagine anyway). 

As for the enema, I have no idea. I have my pre-op appointment on Wednesday and I'll ask the doctor about that one. 

ETA: Sorry, just realized you are doing vaginal and not a c-section, I blame my baby brain. I still think you need a catheter for an epidural in general, for whatever reason you are getting it, for all the reasons I and the others mentioned. As far as enema for vaginal birth...I don't think so. You might poop, lots of women do. In my birthing class they explained that the bottom of the birthing bed folds down and there's like a collection bucket down there. All the fluids you leak and the poop that comes out goes in that bucket, it's not like it's going to just hang out on the table. The doctors and nurses are used to it and just wipe it away. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"