Babies: 3 - 6 Months

xp: ? if you pump at work

Ok so Monday is the day I am to return to work=(  I am a HS teacher and while I "know" that my job has to provide me w/ a place to pump I am not too confident in the possibilities.  Our building is VERY crowded in that almost every room is used every period.  My dept. has an office but  I know that there are others off on my off periods as well.  When I had dd they gave me a conference room but it was used to house testing materials and do small group testing and there were days I could not use it.  So I would go to my car, drive off property and pump in the back of a supermarket parking lot near by (wow that sounds bad now that I type it out, lol)  That worked b/c I had 2 periods off back to back and had the time to do so.  This year I only have 1 pd off and I doubt I could manage that in less than 40 min.

Anyway my question is this, do you think I could get by w/ pumping on the way to work (6:30 am) and then again when I am through teaching for the day (1:30 pm), so 7 hrs?  I am able to go that long at nights when dd sleeps well and then pump about 10 oz in the morning.  I know supply is higher in the am so I prob wouldn't get that much at 1:30 but as long as I was able to get 6 oz or so I think I'd do ok to cover her daily bottles.

Any thoughts or experiences (good or bad) are appreciated!  TIA =)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: ? if you pump at work

• I would guess that going 7 hrs would really hurt your supply. What about during lunch? Maybe someone with an office (Principal, councilor, speech therapist) could work else where for a half hour once per day? Is there any privacy in the women's locker room?
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our lunch periods are only 20 min long, no way I could set up, pump and clean up in that time.  You are right tho, there has got to be at least 1 private office that I could use, I just don't even know how to go about asking as I really don't know many of that type of staff.  My school is seriously huge!  Over 200 teachers for just 3 grades and plenty more office staff.  I tend to keep to myself to avoid getting wrapped up in the drama, it's been great until now I guess when I wish I had more connections, lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • Seriously ask your school speech path. Most have time during their day that they are either in the classroom or in the special Ed room and they usually have an office with a door that closes. It may not even be an inconvenience for them at all!
  • i'm a HS teacher,too...i pump in the nurses' office...i pump ever 3hrs and if it's in the middle of class i just ask whoever is free to cover my class for a bit ...by law they have to accommodate to ur schedule...7hrs will def hurt your supply...,talk to ur supervisor/principal about some options..u should never be forced to pump in ur car!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Also, having multiple pumping set-ups is a life saver! I have two sets and I use each twice during the day--If milk can set out for 8-10 hours, my pumping horns can be used 3 hours apart without needing to be washed in between. That way I don't have  to wash them at all during the day (I pump at 6:30, 9:30, 12:30, and 2:45).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for the replies!  I appreciate you all telling me how nuts I am for even considering it, lol!  That isn't to say that it won't happen on monday just b/c I am sure the day is going to be crazy, I was out an extra week due to gallbladder surgery and my long term sub couldn't stay on so I am going back to a week of random subs the week before spring break!  Yikes!

• imagej&j1999:
    Our lunch periods are only 20 min long, no way I could set up, pump and clean up in that time.  You are right tho, there has got to be at least 1 private office that I could use, I just don't even know how to go about asking as I really don't know many of that type of staff.  My school is seriously huge!  Over 200 teachers for just 3 grades and plenty more office staff.  I tend to keep to myself to avoid getting wrapped up in the drama, it's been great until now I guess when I wish I had more connections, lol!

I am in a similar situation as far as time during the day to pump.  I have gotten to the point where I walk upstairs to the pump room, set up, pump, clean up, and walk back downstairs in 15 minutes.  Like PP, I have multiple sets of flanges, connectors, membranes, etc. and before I leave in the morning, I put them together.  That way I don't have to clean the parts during the day.  I pump twice a day and it works out to be every 3-4 hours while I am at school/work.  I do think waiting 7 hours (on a daily basis) will eventually hurt your supply. 

• I pump three times a day 6:30 - 2:00 and 9:00 and get between 8-10 oz a pump which is enough for Katie.  I guess it really depends on how much you get each session. 
  • I'm a high school teacher in a huge school as well.  I pump in a large closet in the nurses clinic during my planning block and during my 25 minute lunch.  I emailed the principal to work out a location he suggested the nurse.  Lunch is tough, but even if you get can get some milk out it would be better than not pumping at all. 

Going 7 hours will most likely hurt your supply.  I got a hands free pumping bra to use so I can eat while I pump during lunch.  It's a life saver.

• Because of my work situation (I travel from facility to facility) I sometimes have to pump in my car.  I turn the music on & pump & then put the milk in a special freezer bag made for bottles.  The bottles stay cold until I get home.  It would be more comfortable to have an office or something to pump in but if you have no other options you can do the car thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"