3rd Trimester

Male or Female OB?

Which do you prefer? I guess it's just personal preference but I am having a hard time narrowing down my search! Any thoughts would be super helpful!

Photobucket
Landon & Porter
1-10-07 & 5-11-11

Re: Male or Female OB?

• I have a midwife. If I had chosen to go with an OB, I would not have cared if it was a girl or a guy.
  • Mine is Female.  She was my gyn before my OB and knows me well.  I do know people who went to her and but after the male OB at the same practice delivered their child they stayed with him.  I am not sure it matters too much as whoever is on-call delivers your baby, unless it is during the day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I see a group, so my doctors are both male and female.

I haven't cared all along, but this last month I've preferred the female doctors- smaller hands for those painful internals =P

Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • I have had better experiences with male OBs although I would use a female OB if I found one that I liked.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• I have been to both. I didn't like the male OB. I didn't like his personality at all. I love my Dr. now and she is a female. I really doesnt matter to me, I just happened to get along with the female better and I trust her.
  • imageg00dg0llymsm0lly:

I see a group, so my doctors are both male and female.

I haven't cared all along, but this last month I've preferred the female doctors- smaller hands for those painful internals =P

LOL! OMG I didn't even think about that! I called a office for a male OB, he had really awesome specialties (according to the hospitals website). They are going to call me back and let me know if they will accept me since I am 36 weeks but honestly now I am nervous. Our first appointment (I will be 37 weeks then) will consist of him doing an internal. UGH! 

Photobucket
    Landon & Porter
    1-10-07 & 5-11-11
  • For me it's about their attitude etc.  My current ob/gyn is the only male I've ever had but he is also my favorite!  Sorry, that probably isn't very helpful....

• I have a female midwife, but at my old OB's office actually the best one there was a man in his 50's and he was by far the best dr at the practice, I had no problem seeing him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a female OB just because this is my first pregnancy and my first appt with her was also my first papsmear.. makes it a little less scary! Then again though my OB is not guarenteed to deliver my baby. it all depends on who is working that shift so a male ob may be there which doesnt bother me any
  • I don't think what's between a doctor's legs has anything to do with the kind of doctor they are.  I used to think a female ob/gyn would be a better and more caring doctor because they have vaginas themselves.  Now that I have more experience with ob/gyn care, I don't believe that at all.  In fact, in my own encounters with ob/gyns, the men have generally been more empathetic than the women.  

I think what matters most is a doctor's clinical skills and how you feel about them.  If you can't get comfortable seeing a male ob/gyn, then obviously that's a factor. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've only been to female doctors in my adult life, but that's really more of a coincidence than anything else.  I find that most OB's around here are female.

It's funny though because all of my family that is a generation ahead of me always refers to my doctor as a "he" until I correct them. I think they are just used to the world of male OBs and female nurses!

• I never thought for a second I would use a male but the practice I found had two male OBGyns and I really like their attitude. They did however just merge with a female and another male dr and I have to say I do not like the female dr. Not very sympathetic and I have heard that about her and several female Drs. I find my male dr's to be very calming and sympathetic to say the least. I obviously can't speak for every female or male dr out there but thats just who I have had dealings with. I have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the unsympathetic dr deliver LO with my unsympathetic DH!!!!!! 
  • I'm in a group practice. It's about 7 women. I'm not sure I would mind having a male OB, but I definitely like the women in my ob practice. 
    DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Mine is a guy and I love him!

He's straight to the point without all of the scare tactics/over-worrying/paranoia my female perinatal dr. seemed to do in my first pregnancy.

He's also compassionate without being dramatic.

If I had a female OB with a better personality I don't think it'd bother me. I just stick with the male I have because we share a similiar philosophy, delivered many many babies and I naturally trust him.

• Mine is a female. 
  • I prefer female.  When it comes down to it, I really don't care that much though.  A male OB in the practice put in my mirena, and I actually really like him.  I wouldn't mind if he were the on call doc when I go into labor.
  • Female. But there is one male in the practice, so if he is on call when I'm in the hospital, I'll just have to deal with it, but I've never had a male doc ever go "down there."
  • It isn't a factor for me. I've had good and bad doctors of both sexes. I'm currently seeing a male doctor and he's awesome. Very warm and caring and easy to talk to.

I will say I've had more bad experiences with male doctors so until I met my current OB I was a little biased. It wasn't right though and now I try not to let their gender or sex influence my opinion of them.

• I personally prefer women OBs and Dr.s in general so all of mine are female. I am at an all women's practice now.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • No preference.  I've had both
  • Yeah I go by personality more than anything. I've seen both male and female OBs and right now, mine is male and he's great.
  • For me, it depends much more on the doctor's individual personality and philosophy than their gender. I have an amazing male OB who is very low-intervention, which is what I want. The female OB in his practice is much more in favor of interventions in pregnancy and labor. I much prefer seeing him.
  • Personally I stick to female ob/midwives. I started this pregnancy with an Ob group of all women docs and have since switched to a midwifery practice of all women.  Fortunately, we are in a big city with lots of female doc/midwife options. I did see one female gyne a while ago who I didn't like so after one annual visit, I just switched.

I swore off male ob/gyns after a couple bad experiences. When I wasn't pregnant, I had an episode of horiffic, debilitating pain--which I suspect was an ovarian cyst bursting, but there's no way to confirm that after it bursts. The male dr did an exam the next day and said, "well, you are gassy--are you sure it wasn't gas pain?" I realized he would NEVER understand. Another time w/this doc, I had a UTI that cleared up but I was still having pain & rather than help with a referral or pain med or anything, he basically said there's nothing he can do. I was his gyne patient & I think he was totally focused on his ob patients.  I'd been with him 10 yrs prior to this for annuals and I trusted him, so I was so disappointed that the two times I really needed him, he was clueless.

I had another male gyne when I was in college & I felt like he tortured me at my one & only visit (for a pap).  I had never felt so violated & was physically/emotionally pained for a few days (I was new to paps & didn't realize they didn't have to be that way).

Anyway, as long as I can find a female who I like/trust, I'm sticking with the gals.

• i definitely prefer female, but that's only because having a woman 'down there' is slightly less stressful than (i think) having a male would be. i have serious anxiety about anyone seeing me like that, even FI. it's just something i'm not comfortable with - medical or personal. that being said, you bet your @ss i'm dreading labor. :|
  • With DS I went to a practice that had 6 OBs, 3 men and 3 women.  I thought at that time that I preferred the male docs- not sure why, maybe because my whole life I've had male doctors and I have just become accustomed?  Anyway, one of the female OB's ended up delivering me (with the assistance of a female resident, and female nurse) and she was WONDERFUL.  So- no preference this time around really, but I will say it was nice having the perspective of someone who had actually been through labor and childbirth themself.
  • I've had both and I prefer male. They're far more sympathetic!

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have had both and my current OB has been the best by far and he is a male.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There are 4 doctors in my practice (2 male and 2 female). Both female dr.s, DH and I like enough. One male dr. I can't stand since he was really short with me when I called the emergency line a few Sundays ago while I was in tears. The other male dr. we love. He listens, is thorough, has a good sense of humor, and takes the time to answer all of our questions. Needless to say, the dr. we love has cut back on his on-call hours. I've had a good experience with both male and female and like pp said, it matters more that they're good at what they do and you feel comfortable with them, not that they are a man or woman.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I prefer Female OBs who have had children.  They are just more patient and understanding because they know what its like to be pregnant and deliver babies.  
  • I went to an OB office with 3 males and 1 female doc. I rotated through each and when I went into labor I saw whichever of the four were on call that night. Thankfully, my favorite male doc was oncall and he did a great job. However, next time I will go with a midwife. I just feel like when it comes to female health I am more comfortable with a female doctor. Men will never experience childbirth.
  • My preference is for a competent and compassionate medical professional. Their sex is inconsequential.

As it happens, my OB is a man. He is wonderful, and made this high-risk pregnancy so much easier; he offered me peace of mind doppler checks and u/s when needed, and was always supportive and understanding as we went through the process. Before that, he did everything he could to find us the best RE in the area, and a grief counselor who specialized in pregnancy loss. I switched to him from a female OB who was the exact opposite and made our third loss even harder than it already would have been.

I am so glad he was the one to deliver our baby, and be with us when we finally welcomed our daughter into the world.

• My OB is female, and I love that she understands everything I tell her, because she has experienced it!  She has a baby that is about 16 months old, so it wasn't too long ago that she was pregnant.
  • I've always insisted Female but got referred to a male MFM. I was apprehensive that I'd feel uncomfortable and I LOVE him even more than the female.

DH always wanted me to go to women and now he really likes the male MFM too...

• imageg00dg0llymsm0lly:

I see a group, so my doctors are both male and female.

I definitely prefer the smaller female hands

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I prefer females because I like the "been there, done that" sort of feel.  I'd find it difficult to take advice from a man on natural childbirth... Have they experienced it? The simple answer is no.  I think male doctors are great, but when push came to shove I chose a midwife who had four kids and I have to say I like hearing, "Such and such might suck, trust me I've been there."

But that's just my two cents. Big Smile

after a successful induction Yuri-Anne was born 5/30/11!
  • My doctor is a guy .

He seemed to be much more intelligent when I met him compared to some of the female doctors I met.

• I prefer females.  My regular ob/gyn is female and I have had her since I was about 19.  There is only one other woman in the practice and the other 7 drs are male so I am not happy about that.  i am hoping one of the 2 women are on call when I deliver and hopefully when I have internals, I can get them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I prefer a female, but mine is a male. I love him so much I don't care what his sex is
  • I think it really depends on the DR.  I have had midwives deliver both my children, but after my second I had an emergency.  A male OB attended that and he was wonderful!  The midwives were preparing us to be "unimpressed" b/c I guess a lot of people find him short or unpersonable, but both my DH and I liked his professional manner.  He seemed sympathetic and kind, but he certainly took control and did what needed to be done.  Both have been a good experience for us!
  • Midwife, they are so encouraging. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"