2nd Trimester

It's a boy....we think....

It?s been confusing last week Monday when I got in the car accident the lady at the hospital was doing the u/s told me if I wanted to find out the sex I told her nope because DH had to leave and wasn?t present. So I told her that I had an appt on Thursday to find out the sex. Well she said let me see if I see anything. And she showed me between the legs and said nothing is showing yet. That it might be to soon. She also mentioned people mistake the umbilical cord with the penis. So I had that in mind.

Well Thursday came and we went to this school that the people are training for u/s and there?s a Dr supervising. Well the lady that was doing my u/s seems like she had no clue what she was doing. So she asked if she can see the sex if we want to know we said yes. Well the baby had the umbilical cord between the legs and said we might not be able to tell, so she called the Dr over and the Dr said it?s a boy. I was like uuummmm are you sure she said yes. When I got the u/s picture the babys penis looked to big to have grown from Mon to Thurs. lol So we are not 100% sure. I?m sure it?s a boy but at that moment I don?t think they could have tell. So it stuck to me what the lady at the hosp said a lot of people mistaken the umbilical cord for a penis. Lol So confirmation will be when I get my anatomy scan the first week of May. So DH and I are excited but we wating to comfirm the sex and I'll be 17 weeks instead of 14 weeks when they did the last u/s. Going to try to post the picture on my siggy. Boy or Girl we will still be super excited. I just want to start thinking of the babys room and buy a few stuff. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: It's a boy....we think....

• In your case it is wayyy to early for them to even be offering to tell you the sex. You can read in any pregnancy book that genitals aren't developed enough until atleast 18 weeks, and even so Dr's prefer to wait til you are 20 to 22 weeks to tell you the sex just so there is not a false reading. It happens all too often that you may not even be able to get a good view because of the position of the baby. A couple of my friends were told they were having girls and found out in their 3rd trimester that it was a mistake and they were actually having boys! I'd say to definitely wait until atleast 20 weeks. It is strange that your Dr is letting you have so many ultrasounds! I had one at 12 weeks and my second is tomorrow at 22 weeks, and that's when I'm founding out if it's a boy or girl!

I'm not trying to scare you but having more ultrasounds than what's necessary isn't good for a growing fetus so I'd say take it easy on those and get as few as you can. I believe it's even on this site, if not then it's on Parents.com or FitPregnancy.com but it says ultrasounds should only be done to measure the baby and gestational age, etc, not solely to find out the gender. It says too many can be dangerous, even though an ultrasound just uses soundwaves it is a form of radiation. You should only get about 3 or 4 total during your pregnancy- unless there are complications with your baby. Again, I'm not trying to scare you! Most Dr's schedule them far apart so I found it odd when you mentioned they scheduled you 2 ultrasounds only a couple weeks apart. I want to see my baby all the time so I'd love more ultrasounds and I was even tempted to seek a separate clinic at 20 weeks to get an ultrasound  for the gender (behind my Dr's back lol) until I read about the dangers of having too many.

Either way, wait until your farther along for sure. It's definitely hard to wait because us pregnant women are just so excited and curious, but just to be on the safe side you should wait. Good luck!!!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not trying to scare you but having more ultrasounds than what's necessary isn't good for a growing fetus so I'd say take it easy on those and get as few as you can.

Sorry, but this is not true. U/S are safe. Some people have to get them as often as every 2 weeks or more. U/S are done with sound waves so it's totally safe.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I wouldn't go out buying blue just yet. 15 weeks is a little early to be sure. Just wait until your anatomy scan and then you can feel more confident. Good luck!

• imageMGauthier:

I'm not trying to scare you but having more ultrasounds than what's necessary isn't good for a growing fetus so I'd say take it easy on those and get as few as you can.

Sorry, but this is not true. U/S are safe. Some people have to get them as often as every 2 weeks or more. U/S are done with sound waves so it's totally safe.

ditto. totally false.  I had about 20 u/s during my high risk pregnancy. i guess my kid should have 3 arms right? 

imageimage

• I also have had plenty of ultrasounds, especially between my doctor and perinatologist. I trust them not to uneccesarily put my baby at risk.

My perinatologist told us we were having a girl at 15 weeks. He did say he was only 95% sure, so don't paint any rooms and keep your receipts! I felt very confident in his observation, since he is basically a doctor who does almost nothing but look at sonograms all day. My OB confirmed it is in fact a girl at 23 weeks.

Congrats on your baby boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • thanks ladies. I was aslo told u/s are safe for your baby. Those that are high risk have more u/s then others or some offices give more u/s then others. The only reason I had 2 u/s back to back was one was at the ER after my accident they had to check that the baby was okay at the other u/s was a scheduled u/s. But at my OB office I have only had 3 u/s so far.

Definitly kept the receipts of the few things we bought. Guess I'll know for sure soon enough. ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Well Congrats on your possible BOY! lol
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • honestly it's really early for them to tell, and mistakes can be made.  Typically between 18-20 weeks is when it's more accurate.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was told at 15 weeks we were having a boy....then last week it was confirmed a girl.  What they were seeing on me was cord I think.  We were so convinced that we ordered furniture and bedding....just wait before you buy anything!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"