Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Feeding Schedule for a 5 month old

I was just wondering what some of your feeding schedule's are. Are daughter turns 5 months in 3 days and we have been given the O.K. to start solids. We get so many different answers from our doctor and websites I thought it would be best just to ask some other mom's.  For example, our doctor said to start her on fruits first, but I read that doing that gets them use to sweets and they may reject veg.  I also heard that rice cereal has no real nutritional value and can be skipped (true or false).  Thanks in advance for you help. 

Re: Feeding Schedule for a 5 month old

• I started DD on rice cereal mainly to transition her to solids and get her used to the spoon and different texture. I mixed it with EBM and slowly thickened it before I started purees. The first puree I tried was bananas and she didn't care for them but she loves squash and peas. On the rejecting the veggies part it can take up to 15 tries before some babies get used to and begin to like some foods. DD hated squash at first but after 5 days of it she couldn't get enough Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started with rice cereal flavored with formula, then transitioned to fruits and veges.  During the first few bites she has a wierd face, then she figures it out and gets excited.  We give fruit for breakfast and a vege for dinner. I never had a baby "refuse veges" if you started with fruit. No big deal.  I do have to try some foods more than once to get her to like it though.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are starting DD on rice cereal this week. It is basically to teach her how to eat with a spoon; it doesn't really fill them up, add to their nutritional intake. or drastically change their eating habits. At least, not that I have noticed. Most doctors recommend starting with rice cereal because it is extremely rare for a baby to have a reaction to it.

I also think we (as a country? as first time moms?) over think the first foods. We were always told not to feed DS fruits in the beginning, because then he would be hooked on eating sweet foods. So we waited and did veggies first. Well, DS hates fruit. Refuses to eat it. I don't think he hates it because he had it second, and I don't think he would have liked it more if he ate it first. After talking to other parents, I don't think the order that you introduce food really matters.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Celticwife, I think your right, we do overthink things (at least I know I do).  I hate to keep asking questions, but how many times a day do you feed your baby the solids...and do you continue the same amt of formula through stage 1?
  • imagecloverhrt:
    Celticwife, I think your right, we do overthink things (at least I know I do).  I hate to keep asking questions, but how many times a day do you feed your baby the solids...and do you continue the same amt of formula through stage 1?

With DS, we did one meal a day for the first month and we did it at lunchtime. (We did rice cereal, then oatmeal, and then peas.) Once we started veggies, we started adding a second meal; breakfast and lunch. A month later we added a third.

DS (and DD) are BF, but the amount that they started drinking actually increases around 6 months. They go from the 4oz bottles to the 8oz. :) As they grow their stomach gets bigger. Just let LO take the lead, and feed him when he is hungry. It will be easier then you think. Wink

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"