April 2011 Moms

I'm scared to poop!

I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl on Friday (birth story to come!) but now I'm scared to have a bowel movement. I only have one stitch but I'm sore down there and any straining hurts!

So tell me about your first poop after a vaginal delivery. How soon after did you go, did it hurt and how did you get over the psychological barrier?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm scared to poop!

• My first poop story would horrify you. Take many, many stool softners, please, for your stitches sake.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• Mine was 4 days pp, but I just never felt like I had to go before then...  I'm not sure why though because I was eating a lot!  I took one stool softener at the hospital the day after delivery because the nurse told me I should, but nothing after that.  When I did go, it didn't hurt at all.  I was expecting it to because that's what people had told me would happen, but it really wasn't a big deal.  I was pleasantly surprised.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my baby Tuesday and didn't have a BM until Thursday night. I have a couple stitches and was scared to death. It was mostly psychological for me and actually bothered me less than urinating. It still stings like crazy to pee. Make sure you are getting fiber and take a softener.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had awful tearing and a rotten hematoma that put enormous pressure on my rectum.  I think I pooed on day 3 pp and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I took a lot of colace and I continued to take colace for several weeks.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG! Poop Now! If you can, get it out ASAP.  I was scared to go.  The nurse in the hospital said "make sure you eat some fiber."  I was like, ok, whatever.  Didn't think much of it.

I can't remember how many days it was, 3 or 4? But I seriously thought I was going to have to go to the hospital to have it removed, and was bawling on the toilet ready to pack up and go to the hospital and it finally came out, I kid you not it was the size and shape of a baseball. 

I am loading up on colace and eating some major fiber filled food as soon as possible after this one. 

Also did they tell you to take a clean warm washcloth and hold it against your stitches while you poop? That is very helpful.

• I went 3 days after my LO was born. At first I felt the urge and was tense and crying on the toilet but once I called myself down I was able to just let it fall out, My mom told me the key is not to push more than tiny pushes....you don't want to strain at all. Take the stool softener until you feel comfortable going on your own....I'm 10 days out and still taking 2 a day.
  • I went before leaving the hospital. It was hard even taking stool softeners and did pull my stitches but it wasn't unbearable. Get it out now! Take pain meds before if you're super scared!
  • imagesarahbeth827:
    I went 3 days after my LO was born. At first I felt the urge and was tense and crying on the toilet but once I called myself down I was able to just let it fall out, My mom told me the key is not to push more than tiny pushes....you don't want to strain at all. Take the stool softener until you feel comfortable going on your own....I'm 10 days out and still taking 2 a day.

I agree with this. I was also 3 or 4 days PP. I have been on metamucil per OB's orders, which helped I'm sure. I didn't rush the process, made sure LO was fed and DH was available to take care of him for a while. It took a lot longer than normal, and I did have to be careful about not straining, but in the end it wasn't so bad and the relief of finally having an empty bowel was worth it.

• I was TERRIFIED of this!  I had really really bad tearing and LOADS of stitches.  Also, I am prone to constipation anyways.  I finally went on day 4 and it was not near as bad as I was expecting.  I took a lot of stool softeners, DIDN'T take my pain meds that day (they can cause constipation), and did not strain at all.  I just sat on the toilet for like an hour.  It wasn't fun, but it wasn't that painful either.  GOOD LUCK!!! Relax and you will feel so much better afterwards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • I was also very scared about this. I was 2 days pp. I made sure to take my time and tried really hard  not to strain. Maybe TMI, but I also found it really helpful to lean forward while sitting on the toilet with my hands on the ground. I think the change it position shifted where the pressure was and made it a little easier. You are going to have to push at least a little, but try not to strain. I am not going to lie, it hurt, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
  • I was 2 days PP and scared to go. I had some stitches and a hemmoroid the size of baby's fist (at least that's what it felt like!) so I didn't want to strain. I was constipated the entire pregnancy, so I'm used to only going every few days. Take the stool softener and get lots of fiber. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was SO scared!  I have a third degree tear with a LOT of stitches and had a mini panic attack when I knew I couldn't hold it in... it was day three (I was still at the hospital bc my LO was in NICU) and I sat on the toliet crying for 30 minutes, then decided that I needed to get it over with at the hospital in case I needed real help.  I practiced my labor breathing and gentle pushing (LOL).

When I finally relaxed it came out and I was fine.  Literally didn't even really feel it.  I've been taking a stool softener, eating a TON of fruit, and drinking water by the gallon every day and have pooped regularly since that day without problems.

• I pooped a few hours after LO was born, and it was fine. Like normal, no pain. Of course, now I have my first ever hemrrhoid, and I've decided that is worse then delivery. Prune juice is helping me with that though. I just wanted you to know that it maybe won't hurt at all. I really thought it would.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Right with you, and I had a c-section. I've been taking Colace, hoping that will help, but I'm totally freaked at the idea!
  • I must be a weirdo then. I went a couple of hours after the birth of my first daughter. The hospital had loaded me up with colace. I also had stitches, but never had issues in the poop category.
  • I was scared too!  I still take a daily colace (2 weeks post-partum) and it helps!  Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....just take it easy :-)  It gets better after each time though!
  • imageJollyGreenGoat:
    I must be a weirdo then. I went a couple of hours after the birth of my first daughter. The hospital had loaded me up with colace. I also had stitches, but never had issues in the poop category.

Same here!  It took me by suprise so there was no "worrying" about it.  I had some stitches but it wasn't too terrible.  I think what helped was that I didn't "push" at all, I just let it go. 

(USE COTTONELLE WIPES or something similar!  I used those exclusively for a week or so PP!)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
  • The hospital gave me two senokot to take the night after I had DS. The next day I was able to poop without incident, didnt hurt at all, and I have several stitches. I kept taking senokot for a few days post partum out of fear of regular pooping, but it hasnt been bad either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"