September 2011 Moms
Options

And this is why I have trouble trusting Ob/ Gyns...

Don't get me wrong. If I have a medical problem, there is nobody else I want in the room other than my OB, but there is a lot of shady sh!t that docs do.

I will lay this one more on the mom though, who wouldn't get a second opinion?

Brief summary: woman on 3rd tri is 37 weeks pregnant and her doc want to change her due date to April 20th and induce her on April 18th. Um, hello baby's lung function? First he changes the due date by two weeks and then he doesn't want to let her wait until the new due date/

I think someone has vacation plans.

Oh, and he is not basing this off of an u/s, he is basing this off of a measuring tape measurement of her ute. Now, my girlfriend that is a proctologist and I were just having a coversation 3 days ago about how measureing with a tape can have a margin of error by a few pounds.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/52037880.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: And this is why I have trouble trusting Ob/ Gyns...

• Options
    I agree with you! Someone has vacation plans! And I've heard so many stories like "The doctor says this baby's going to be 9 pounds" and then the baby is 7. And I agree with some of the responses--that's really late in the game to be changing the due date! If I was that woman, I think I would risk dealing with the OB on call/on duty than to be induced so this guy can leave on time for MIami . . .
  • Options

He cant force her to do anything. I'd deny him if that were the case..

That being said my OB said theyd never change my due date.. I make large babies. DD was born one day shy of 37 weeks and was almost 8lbs and could breathe fine.. 8 and 9 on apgar she was 100% healthy...yet there are some born 40 weeks and cant breathe on their own..depends on baby.

My OB did however say since I measure ahead they will talk induction in week 39..but they wont be pushing up the date to make it seem like I am there..

ALSO.. She is 37 weeks which is full term..unless they changed her date to make her 37 weeks..So I dont see that big of a problem really, but thats me..

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAzrayla:

ALSO.. She is 37 weeks which is full term..unless they changed her date to make her 37 weeks..So I dont see that big of a problem really, but thats me.. 

This. She is 37 weeks and that is considered full term. The baby should be fine to come now if that is the case.  It isn't the same as being 27 weeks. Maybe the doctor does have ulterior motives for her to deliver earlier, but either way she goes she should be in good shape. After all, in the end it is her decision and she can tell him if she is not comfortable with that. 

• Options

I sometimes want to scream when I read about the potential size of the baby. People get so nervous that they are going to have an enormous baby, and end up having a normal sized one. That particular situation seems so off to me and there have been a bunch of studies proving that you need to have the babies bake until 39 weeks if possible.

I think the issue is that there are a few not so great doctors out there, who make the rest of the industry look poor. But there are some terrific doctors out there, just seems like that woman on the 3rd tri isn't seeingone of those.

BTW my OB/GYN for my doctor in NYC (well known guy) said that those measurements can be off, both just using the measuring tape and the ultrasounds. From what i remember they measure the baby's head size, and femur i think (I could be off). My doctor did an estimate by poking around a bit saying 7.5-8.5 lbs (she was 7.9). However, if he used an ultrasound, they would have put her around 9+ pounds becuase she had a big head, and was really long...but was just a skinny beanpole.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAzrayla:

He cant force her to do anything. I'd deny him if that were the case..

That being said my OB said theyd never change my due date.. I make large babies. DD was born one day shy of 37 weeks and was almost 8lbs and could breathe fine.. 8 and 9 on apgar she was 100% healthy...yet there are some born 40 weeks and cant breathe on their own..depends on baby.

My OB did however say since I measure ahead they will talk induction in week 39..but they wont be pushing up the date to make it seem like I am there..

I don't know if I make big babies. I do know that from my mom's side there has not been a baby smaller than 9 lbs since my little brother and he was born a preemie. Also, my husband was like a toddler when he was born, so I feel like it is going to be a big baby for me too.

I just think it is really silly of her to not question this. Even when everyone was pointing it out to her that changing her due date from early May to April 20th and then not even letting her get to April 20th was not a good idea without a second opinion, she said that she did not have enough time for a second opinion.

• Options
    imagemollybloom:

I just think it is really silly of her to not question this. Even when everyone was pointing it out to her that changing her due date from early May to April 20th and then not even letting her get to April 20th was not a good idea without a second opinion, she said that she did not have enough time for a second opinion.

She might not think she has a choice. Some dr's dont let you think you have a choice. My first OB with DD my manager at work used..she had a scheduled c/s because her son was breech and the OB didnt deliver breech babies vaginally when its been known for many babies to turn last minute before delivery but her OB didnt even let her go into labor on her own. I agree with a PP there are some awesome drs out there and some just wanting to deal with their own thing. Pregnancy is not as magical and amazing to them as it s for the mother unfortunately.

Also for the baby thing, my moms side delivered large babies..Supposedly my mom was preemie and still 7lbs..my aunt was 10..I was 9, brother two weeks early was 8 etc..so I fully expected it too. :) 

• Options
    When I was pregnant with dd, I measuring 4wks advanced. OB ordered u/s just to make sure it wasnt extra fluid (not sure why they wouldnt go that route first for her).  Anyways, it turns out I was carrying a big baby. I remember asking does this mean I will have to have her early. And he said "Absolutely Not, just because the apple looks ripe doesnt mean its ready to fall off the tree". Haha. I did go 2 wks early and she weighed 8.12. Of course for me growth u/s are right on target.  She was measured at 8.6 a week before delivery. Then my son was measured at 7.6lb 4 weeks before edd. When he arrived he weighed 9.2lb (right on time). So for me the u/s are pretty accurate. For this baby I will be scheduled for a growth u/s around 35wks again, just to see. My OB and I are pretty sure this one will also be around 9lbs. And they do not like to induce before 39wks if at all. They prefer me to just go with my body.
  • Options
    This is why I'm educating myself as much as possible. It's sad that there are women who will blindly trust what their doctor says (after all, shouldn't we be ABLE to trust an experienced professional?!) and possibly end up in worse shape than before. The high rate of induction in this country is a contributing factor to our ridiculous c-section rate and it's dangerous and irresponsible for doctors to even suggest things like that under the pretense of "wrong due dates" or "too big babies."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagebackinpgh:
    This is why I'm educating myself as much as possible. It's sad that there are women who will blindly trust what their doctor says (after all, shouldn't we be ABLE to trust an experienced professional?!) and possibly end up in worse shape than before. The high rate of induction in this country is a contributing factor to our ridiculous c-section rate and it's dangerous and irresponsible for doctors to even suggest things like that under the pretense of "wrong due dates" or "too big babies."

I agree. I have nothing against needed medical interventions, but it has gotten out of control. People just blindly trust what they are told. One of my local hospitals has a section rate of 49.1%. Really? Half of the women that come into that hospital need to have major surgery to have a baby?

• Options
    Holy crap balls--even if the new due date is correct, there's absolutely no reason to induce 2 days before the due date.  Sure, *maybe* the baby is full term and mature, but maybe it's not.  And even if it is, why go through an induction, which a) costs more, b) is way more painful, and c) is statistically known to lead to a c-section?  It just makes zero sense.
  • Options
    At 39 weeks 3 days  they estimated DS at 11 pounds. He was born 39 weeks 6 days at 8lbs 11oz. Clearly, someone miscalculated. There's a reason that a baby cooks for 40 weeks. If the baby comes earlier on its own, fine, but I'd be leary of someone who wanted to deliver early for reasons of size only. My OB said that DS would be pretty big, but she wasn't going to deliver him until he was fully cooked. Some OB are just idiots I guess.
  • Options
    OUKapOUKap member

You really thinks he says that because he has a vacation? Wow.

And then you generalize that to all ob/gyns?

My doctor is pretty awesome. I know people who have used him and medical professionals who have all said he is great. Not all doctors are.

What was the purpose of your post? To slam doctors and people with doctors? Because that's how it comes off.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options
    I don't know why you say he isn't basing this off an ultrasound. She clearly says that she had an ultrasound on Monday because she was measuring ahead. The outrage and insinuation that this has something to do with the doctor's vacation plans is laughable. Unless any of you have seen her ultrasound results, how in the world can you make that determination? There are many things the ultrasound could have shown that would suggest the baby needs to come out sooner rather than later. All you amateur medical professionals need to stop making rash judgements based on your obviously limited amount of medical knowledge.
  • Options

When I read this yesterday, it sounded to me as if the mom didn't know all of the information. I have a hard time thinking that this is all the dr said to her for their reasoning on dd and induction. IMO, not saying it's much, but it sounds more like mama doesn't have all of the facts right...either she is leaving them out or she doesn't understand.

• Options
    OUKapOUKap member

It seemed like he had already mentioned she might be further along in the past. 

My doctor's due date for me based on the u/s is Oct 7, which is 9 days off of what I had thought. Your due date is not precise.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

imagewomancake:
    Holy crap balls--even if the new due date is correct, there's absolutely no reason to induce 2 days before the due date.  Sure, *maybe* the baby is full term and mature, but maybe it's not.  And even if it is, why go through an induction, which a) costs more, b) is way more painful, and c) is statistically known to lead to a c-section?  It just makes zero sense.

Baby is already full term because even if she isn't really 39 weeks, she is 37. So full term isn't a problem. 

I wouldn't induce just because of the doctor wants to all of a sudden. There could be a lot more to her situation than she is letting on. She may have a chronic condition that leads them to want to be more cautious about her going beyond full term. 

I really am against people jumping to conclusions about inductions if they haven't had one. I have heard of more successful inductions than I have ones that have lead to c-sections.

I had an induction due to my lung function plummeting for no apparent reason. I only ended up with a c-section because DS could not get his giant head through the birth canal and I had weeks of recovery from pelvic bruising to prove it. It wasn't until after the c-section we all realized he couldn't drop and it was what was making my asthma worse. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagemollybloom:

Don't get me wrong. If I have a medical problem, there is nobody else I want in the room other than my OB, but there is a lot of shady sh!t that docs do.

Brief summary: woman on 3rd tri is 37 weeks pregnant and her doc want to change her due date to April 20th and induce her on April 18th. Um, hello baby's lung function? First he changes the due date by two weeks and then he doesn't want to let her wait until the new due date/

Oh, and he is not basing this off of an u/s, he is basing this off of a measuring tape measurement of her ute. Now, my girlfriend that is a proctologist and I were just having a coversation 3 days ago about how measureing with a tape can have a margin of error by a few pounds.

This information is wrong. If you read the whole thread, he is basing it off her fundal height and what baby is measuring.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Really now, really? Does this woman have cotton balls for brains?
  • Options
    imagemollybloom:

imagebackinpgh:

I agree. I have nothing against needed medical interventions, but it has gotten out of control. People just blindly trust what they are told. One of my local hospitals has a section rate of 49.1%. Really? Half of the women that come into that hospital need to have major surgery to have a baby?

This kinda stuff makes me glad I'm having one u/s and only having one appt with an OB.  And when i go in this week if he even thinks about chaniging my EDD he has another thing coming.  Even if I go over I'll just have U/S and nonstress test.  IMO unless there are signs of potential problems or distress I don't see a point in inducing.  If baby looks good after tests I'll let them keep cooking a little

• Options
    imagelaurasuzanne2006:
    imagemollybloom:

imagebackinpgh:

This kinda stuff makes me glad I'm having one u/s and only having one appt with an OB.  And when i go in this week if he even thinks about chaniging my EDD he has another thing coming.  Even if I go over I'll just have U/S and nonstress test.  IMO unless there are signs of potential problems or distress I don't see a point in inducing.  If baby looks good after tests I'll let them keep cooking a little

I don't think every woman should go out blaming OBs for this. It is fear mongering based on one poor experience where we probably don't have all the facts.

I have two amazing OBs, a regular and a high risk. There is nothing they would ever do to put my baby at jeopardy and have gone out of the way to help me keep my gestational diabetes under control. I am followed very closely and feel extremely comfortable.

I have had several negative experiences with midwives during my last pregnancy and during the early part of this pregnancy. However, I don't go around talking sh!t and making other women feel bad for trusting them.

It boils down to a woman not being her own advocate for her care. If she wants the induction, fine. She shouldn't have made it out to look like the doctor was forcing her hand then. If not, then she needed to speak up and tell him that they would evaluate the situation at the next appointment. No one can force you to do an induction unless it is medically necessary. 

I really wish you ladies would quit giving OBs the bad rap for an unmotivated patient.

• Options
    imagelovelyophelia:
    imagemollybloom:

This information is wrong. If you read the whole thread, he is basing it off her fundal height and what baby is measuring.

Um, pretty sure that fundal height is measured with a measuring tape. I think the OP meant her stomach not her uterus because who would agree to a measuring tape up there? :p

• Options
    imagetrulil:
    imagelovelyophelia:
    imagemollybloom:

Um, pretty sure that fundal height is measured with a measuring tape. I think the OP meant her stomach not her uterus because who would agree to a measuring tape up there? :p

I know this thread is practically dead now but the fundus is the top of the uterus not the stomach.  The OP stated that they made the decision based solely on fundal height which is not accurate.  The OB in the thread is basing the change in EDC on estimated fetal weight from an US and fundal height.

For all of you speculating and hating on OBs, do you tell your family pracitioner, dermatologist, cardiologist etc how to practice medicine?  Would you bring them an extensive plan about how to preform your appendectomy? I didnt think so.  I want to know where all of you got your medical degrees or certifications in midwifery.  Are there less than great practitioners out there?  Of course!  But that goes for midwives too.  Get off your high horse.  You are not superior or a better mom/women for choosing to use a midwife.  Im just sick of people treating OBs and hospital staff in L&D as the enemy.  

In my experience, it's the women that come in with rigid plans that end up disappointed in their birth experience.  The birth of a baby cannot be planned in ANY way.  They have a mind of their own.  Some babies tolerate labor beautifully, some don't.  Some babies fit through the birth canal, some don't.  The reason OBs do estimated fetal weights is to prevent fetal distress and injury to infant during delivery.  If the kid is big, maybe the head will fit but what about the shoulders?  No big deal that the baby's clavicle or arm is broken with nerve damage!  At least I didn't have a c-section!!  Sounds rational, right? Sounds pretty selfish to me.  The reason OBs and L&D nurses practice like the do now is a product of our sue happy culture by the way.  Ok, Im done now.

Love,

Your neighborhood L&D RN 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"