Babies: 6 - 9 Months

BFing: sudden milk supply drop at 6-7 months?

My Lo will be 7 months tomorrow and for the past 3 days I have been pumping 4-5 ounces less than normal.  I am a bit panicked because my freezer supply won't last very long if I have to supplement with it every day.  Any advice?

Re: BFing: sudden milk supply drop at 6-7 months?

• Mine dropped drastically at 6 months. I think it is because she didn't nurse as much because she became distracted, starting pulling away, and became uninterested. She also started sleeping longer stretches at night. I then got sick and super dehydrated so I think that added to it.

We introduced formula, and continued to nurse twice a day until about a week ago when she decided she no longer wanted to nurse, she just wanted to teeth..ouch!

Are you nursing at all? That is the best way to boost supply. If not, I would just say eat more, and take in more fluids and start power pumping. That helped my supply in the beginning.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersPhotobucket
  • As they always say - more demand, more supply.  I would nurse LO more often (if you are nursing), get enough rest, and try not to stress about it because that just makes it worse (sooo hard not to!).   I started to feed DS every 2-2 1/2 hours, even if he didn't act very hungry, just to keep my supply going.  I was also told when my supply dipped to hold off on giving him solids for a while until my supply established again (don't know if you're starting solids or not).  HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you.  Yes, I nurse exclusively at home and only pump at work.  My LO has been distracted for a couple of months--I haven't noticed any drastic change recently.  Her sleep has even gotten worse in the past couple of months and she wants to eat MORE during the night! 

Hey, I can always eat more.  Stick out tongue

• My supply dips drastically right around ovulation and AF. 

Just keep nursing and if you are really worried, add in a pump session.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• imagemegan&john2007:

As they always say - more demand, more supply.  I would nurse LO more often (if you are nursing), get enough rest, and try not to stress about it because that just makes it worse (sooo hard not to!).   I started to feed DS every 2-2 1/2 hours, even if he didn't act very hungry, just to keep my supply going.  I was also told when my supply dipped to hold off on giving him solids for a while until my supply established again (don't know if you're starting solids or not).  HTH!

Thanks!  I'll try more frequent nursing this weekend and lay off of the solids (she LOVES them!) for a couple of days.

• imagekofmkg:

My supply dips drastically right around ovulation and AF. 

Thank you--haven't had a visit from AF since before I got pregnant.  Maybe my first cycle is coming soon?

• imagekofmkg:

My supply dips drastically right around ovulation and AF. 

This exactly.  I could not figure out WTH was wrong a few weeks ago.  After getting AF (SURPRISE!) I realized my supply dropped for a couple days.  Literally the next day, nursing resumed peacefully (besides the distraction) and pumping went back to normal.  I thought she was mad because I wasn't letting down fast enough.  It seriously didn't cross my mind my supply dipped for a few days.  I had been sick so I thought that was why I pumped a little less.  I feel really bad, but now I know.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"