3rd Trimester
Options

Failed 28-week glucose test

Hi ladies! I just heard back from my OB that I failed the 1-hour glucose test (result was 142 and cutoff at my doc is 140). I have to go back for the dreaded 3-hour test next week and I'm freaking out a bit. I never thought twice about gestational diabetes since I have absolutely no family history and I didn't have any problems with my first pregnancy just 2 years ago. And I am so worried about failing the 3-hour test and having GD. Anyone have any tips/advice/words of wisdom or similar experience?  Thanks!!!

Re: Failed 28-week glucose test

• Options
    From what I've heard a lot of people fail the one-hour and pass the three-hour.
  • Options
    My friend was high risk for GD and eventually in the end of her third tri she tested positive.  She managed it very well by avoiding carbs and other GI high foods.  It was annoying, but very doable.  You may want to proactively start avoiding rice, starches, and carbs and focus more heavily on protein and vegetables (not fruit) in your diet.  All pregnant woman are at an increased risk for GD, regardless of family history.  It's not your fault, but you can take steps to help yourself.  Best of luck!
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I failed the one hour w/ a 142 too. But passed the 3 hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have failed both pregancies and then passed both times for the second one.  i fasted forever both times which just about killed me but it worked.
  • Options

Your family history has no impact on getting GD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The 1 hour test is notoriously inaccurate--very high false positive rate. Some hospitals in Chicago are now changing their recommendations & doing away with the 1 hour test all together--becuase it captures so many people who end up testing negative on the 3 hour test. They are suggesting you start with a 2 or 3 hour test for a more accurate result.

I failed the 1 hour test (I had 140 and my midwife practice's limit is 130). But I passed the 3 hour test just fine. It was sort of a wake up call to remind me to keep eating well & exercising. And your numbers didn't come back super high.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had failed my 1 hour by one point and went on to take the 3-hour which I passed. Their isn't much advice I can give. The only thing I can say is I didn't 10 hoours before I took my 3-hour. But honestly if you are going to have GD you are. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong or anything. And chances are if someone in your family had it you could too. But it isn't always the case. Good luck!!!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i failed mine too. I was at 145 instead of 140. ( doc said that's super low anyways and even if I had failed the 3 hour one, it would most likely only require some diet changes)

took the 3 hours and everything was fine. Most of os who are just a tad bit above the norm usually do really well in the 3 hour one so do not worry, bring some baby books. I took walks in between my 3 hour one.

Just be careful: you have to go in fasting and the drink can make some people feel nauseous and light headed. My nurse made sure I took a full 5 mn to drink it, giving time for my body to adjust a bit instead of chugging it down in 2 seconds.

Good luck 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"