Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Pumping mamas

I am mainly EBP my LO is now eating every 4hours and so I am pumping every four hours. During the day it is going fine. But at night when I wait 4hrs and get up to pump I seem to have knots and, especially my left side, seems to be clogged and it takes a couple more pumping sessions before its back to normal. I was reading on some and they said that they dont even have to pump at night anymore, or only once. Any suggestions on how to now get "clogged" I dont know the technical term for it lol

Re: Pumping mamas

• You probably don't actually have a blocked duct or anything, but when you go longer than normal without feeding or pumping you do get little knots in your breasts..I'm assuming those are the milk ducts - it might be harder to get milk out because they are so full and tight. What I do to make sure the most milk comes out as possible...I massage my breasts before pumping and then even massage them while I am pumping. Also - heat packs help to get things flowing...

I am at a point where I don't pump at night either, I just feed the baby as needed and he's almost STTN.

An LC told me when pumping to be sure to empty your breasts every three hours to ensure that your production doesn't go down - baby's can get out much more milk than a pump can...

Good luck! :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
  • Because of hormone levels between 1:00-5:00 AM, you likely have more milk. Also, do you notice more clogged ducts on the side that you're sleeping on? (do you sleep on your left side?) Or if you sleep in a sleeping bra, check to make sure it's not too tight.

If you just recently changed up your pumping schedule, your body may still be adjusting to the new demand.

I guess the only real advice I have is to use your hands when you pump (if you're not already). That really helps relieve a duct and get the milk flowing better to relieve everything more quickly. Here's a link to Stanford's breastfeeding website where they have tips on hand expression/using your hands while pumping:

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • No I sleep on my right side. It is just weird. I have always had trouble with that side. LO really did a number on that side, which is why I had to pump in the first place.I massage and use heating pads but I only get a one or two ounces and I usually pump around 3 from each side, its like the milk just wont come out, until after a couple of pumping sessions and my nipple gets very big.
  • I am also taking a supplement ...Lecithin.  It is supposed to help keep you from getting clogged too.  Its and herbal supplement.  I bought mine at Whole Foods. This in addition to the above
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejolynn326:

Because of hormone levels between 1:00-5:00 AM, you likely have more milk. Also, do you notice more clogged ducts on the side that you're sleeping on? (do you sleep on your left side?) Or if you sleep in a sleeping bra, check to make sure it's not too tight.

If you just recently changed up your pumping schedule, your body may still be adjusting to the new demand.

I guess the only real advice I have is to use your hands when you pump (if you're not already). That really helps relieve a duct and get the milk flowing better to relieve everything more quickly. Here's a link to Stanford's breastfeeding website where they have tips on hand expression/using your hands while pumping:

I wish I had seen this before Charlotte was born. I've been EP w/ hands since 3weeks and want my supply to be better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageramzgurl:
    imagejolynn326:

Because of hormone levels between 1:00-5:00 AM, you likely have more milk. Also, do you notice more clogged ducts on the side that you're sleeping on? (do you sleep on your left side?) Or if you sleep in a sleeping bra, check to make sure it's not too tight.

I wish I had seen this before Charlotte was born. I've been EP w/ hands since 3weeks and want my supply to be better.

Awesome! Hope it helps. My breastfeeding class instructor shared this link with us.

BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
  • imagejolynn326:

Also,  Here's a link to Stanford's breastfeeding website where they have tips on hand expression/using your hands while pumping:

That is a great video, thanks!  I think I'm going to print out a copy of that list at the end and keep it at my desk at work, lol!

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • imageAutumnBride929:
    imagejolynn326:

Also,  Here's a link to Stanford's breastfeeding website where they have tips on hand expression/using your hands while pumping:

That is a great video, thanks!  I think I'm going to print out a copy of that list at the end and keep it at my desk at work, lol!

Great! Maybe I should do the same lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"