3rd Trimester

Experience with pets acting weird/sensing change?

We have a dog who I think is just recently starting to sense that change is happening because of the baby.  I'm 38w5d and in the last few weeks our pup, who is already a little high-anxiety, has started getting so clingy toward me it's hard to deal with.  I work from home, so this is an all-day ordeal.  

To make matters worse, I've been experiencing some kind of instinct where I feel my priorities shifting to the baby and feel just a little less lovey-dovey toward the dog.  I feel guilty about it, but then as he follows me around literally everywhere, whining at me for attention, trying to slip into the bathroom with me as I'm shutting the door (he can't even stand to be separated while I pee!), I'm growing more frustrated and it's making my own feelings even worse.  I'm still making an effort to give him some attention and take him for walks, but it's never enough now.  And when DH comes home from work, he doesn't even care anymore and still follows me, watching me like he's obsessed. 

Anyone have any experience like this or tips?  It's starting to wear on my nerves a lot. 

Re: Experience with pets acting weird/sensing change?

• AZ123AZ123 member

My dog has done this too. I tell her to go lay down in her bed when she's being too clingy or I put her outside for a bit.

When I actually went into labor my dog really started freaking out.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little dog just got super clingy with me in the last few days.  She has been very attached to my husband for tha last few months and now she has done a flip so it makes me wonder if she senses it is so close.  I have read a tip about having your husband try to spend extra time with them to get used to you having other priorities so I'm glad she is so attached to him right now but like I said the last few days she has been my little shadow!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My cat who is usually stand-offish and independent is more friendly/clingy lately. She has been since very early on. I'm enjoying it since she usually wants nothing to do with me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My youngest cat has started acting all clingy lately. It's driving me nuts. She just sits there an meows at me non-stop. She won't get on my lap though, but she'll sit next to me on the couch. Dh has even told me that when I leave the house my cat freaks out and sits at the door meowing. She even tries to climb into my work bag when I am getting ready in the morning. On the other hand, my older cat could care less, lol. She has never been very clingy with me, but I just think the difference between the two is funny. They are both female btw.
  • imagemypeanut2010:
    My youngest cat has started acting all clingy lately. It's driving me nuts. She just sits there an meows at me non-stop. She won't get on my lap though, but she'll sit next to me on the couch. Dh has even told me that when I leave the house my cat freaks out and sits at the door meowing. She even tries to climb into my work bag when I am getting ready in the morning. On the other hand, my older cat could care less, lol. She has never been very clingy with me, but I just think the difference between the two is funny. They are both female btw.

I had to laugh because that is pretty much what my dog does, too.  Just stares at me and whines.  And DH said the same thing - if I leave the dog just stares and the door and whines until I come back.   

• My cat, who like everyone else's cat wanted nothing to do with me, just started getting super clingy, cries whenever he doesn't see me and started having weird bowels and some tummy issues. Vet thinks it may be from sensing all the changes, new furniture etc....

Also: cat usually sleeps on our bed at our feet and we are planning on letting him do the same once baby's born so he doesn't feel too unloved. Vet also said it was important to get the cat used a little bit to the new stuff coming in the house and make him get used to the smell of baby products -

• My dog has been very clingly as of late. I also work from home, and she's pretty much glued to me at all times. But I feel almost more loving to her, to be honest, because I know she's anxious and not sure what's going on. The only way she can express that anxiety is to stick close to me, I'm the person she looks to for security and reassurance. She's not trying to be annoying or frustrating, she's just confused.

I try to give her lots of praise and lots of love, and if she has to follow me into the bathroom, eh. It doesn't bother me. Her whole world is about to change, and all we can do is let her know that she is still going to be cared for and looked after.

Maybe a new toy or special bone would help your dog? We bought Scout a few new Kongs, and I freeze them w/ pumpkin and treats so that she has something to work on. It helps relieve her stress and keeps her busy. We also have stash of new chew/plush toys for when the baby comes home, that we will dispense as needed.

Distraction helps a lot when a dog is feeling like this. Scout has been happy to lay at my feet on her big pillow and chew her Kong or bone. And it gives me a little break if I need it.

• I have a great dane and she produced milk.. haha and she is definitely more clingy than normal. She growls anytime she thinks people are going to approach me!
  • I could have written this post! My dog will not leave me alone and cries whenever I leave.  He also is super protective of me even when it comes to my DH! It's so weird!
  • My puppy has been overprotective of me.  Whenever we go to my boyfriends house he just sits on my lap and if anyone comes up to me he will growl at them.  He also likes to sniff my belly like he can smell the baby inside me.  I think he is going to be very overprotective of Silas once he gets here.
    Loving life with two boys who are 10 months apart and can't wait for team green baby to join us and thinking daily about our angel who was with us for a very short time. (CP at 4 weeks and 5 days) Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yes! I visited my Dad this weekend and his dog (a big Briard) who is normally the most calm dog in the universe (you could seriously start a lawnmower next to him and he wouldn't flinch) was acting crazy around me the entire time I was there. He was panting heavily, pacing next to me, trying to get up on my lap (which he NEVER does) and wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom by myself. He was starting to freak me out! Confused
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I miscarried twins last year and I noticed that the 8 and 12 weeks that I carried them(I lost them 4 weeks apart) my cat got a little clingy....now that I am expecting again and am 27w2d my cat is so super clingy and lays with in my midrif some where at all times. I go to the bathroom, to the porch, the tub, bed, kitchen...you name it he is always there not to mention he perches his big orange hiney on my books when I read! I wouldn't want it any other way though :) He is 11 and had the mentality of a dog...quite the caracter I might add!!

The further along I get the clinger he is too...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Met 1992 ~ Started Dating 6/1/2006 ~ Married 11/7/2009 ~ OBCP 01/2010 ~ BFP 6/15/2010 ~ MC Twin B 6/29/2010(8wks) ~ MC Twin A 7/28/2010(12wks) ~ D&C&E 8/2/2010 ~ BFP 11/2/2010 ~ EDD 7/12/2011 ~ ARRIVED 7/18/2011 9lbs 10oz 22 inches ~ IUD removed 10/5/2012 ~ BFP 11/1/2012 ~ EDD 7/12/2013 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 19 weeks and my dog (who's usually pretty needy) has gotten more clingy than usual.  He also has developed the habit of having accidents in the house (after being house trained for years).  I took him to the vet, no infection.  I wonder if he knows a new person is coming & is trying to mark his territory.  Whatever the reason, it needs to stop. 

Pets are very perceptive.  Good luck, everyone, with introducing your pets to your new little one! 

• The dog can sense your energy.  If you're feeling anxious the dog knows it.   Try to adjust your own energy and the dog will feel less anxious.   You said you felt guilty becuase the baby is more of a priority.... try not to feel that way.   The dog will pick up on it for sure.   I am an avid watcher of "the dog whiseperer" and Ceasar knows his stuff!!!!   its always the owner who needs to change and the dog will follow suite.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"