3rd Trimester

MD or Midwife? Weigh In

So I had an MD for my first baby and I now have a midwife for my second. What a difference. I actually believe I am getting better care with the midwife and she takes my concerns and wishes more seriously than my MD did. My MD was quick to induce and had an attitude about c-sections that they were no big deal. My midwife takes nothing lightly but has such a calming presence. What are your experiences?

Re: MD or Midwife? Weigh In

• I have an MD and I like him a lot so far but it's my first so I guess we'll see! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a physician. After experiencing medical student OB/GYN rotations, I am using a midwife. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an MD for both pregnancies, but they were completely different. I LOVE my new OB. She's great. 
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an MD and I love her. I would not be comfortable with someone who is not a physician, but that's just me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a MD. I am high risk and it is a necessity. Even before being high risk I was with a MD though...I just prefer it.
  • I am extremely fortunate to have an MD who takes the time to listen to me and never makes me feel rushed.  He also has left a lot of decisions up to me that typically OBs try to force on patients.  Because of my history of prodromal labor resulting in a c-section with DD I wouldn't be comfortable with a midwife, but am so glad that option is out there for others.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAprilLynn09:
    I have a MD. I am high risk and it is a necessity. Even before being high risk I was with a MD though...I just prefer it.

Ditto this - and FWIW, every doctor is different, my OB is recognizes that c-sections are major surgery and only done out of true medical necessity, as do many others, so your experience with an MD on that point isn't illustrative of all doctors.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • I have a wonderful OB.  I would not be comfortable with a Midwife.  I am a hospital executive, so I know what I want in an MD and have been very happy with my choice. 

I'm sorry for people who feel their OB's don't listen to them.  Mine is totally open about everything and really takes my concerns to heart. 

• I have had 2 OBs this pregnancy due to moving when I was 14 weeks. My first OB I wasnt with him that long this time, but he handled my first pregnancy (had a miscarrige) and did my DNC. I had a good relationship with him. With my OB now I have no complaints except he doesnt like to be in the office on time Friday mornings, but I dont mind waiting b/c Im the first he sees. He takes all my concerns seriously and doesnt rush through even if he late to the office that morning. I wouldnt mind having a midwife, but I also feel safer delievering in a hospital, just incase something was to happen during labor.

• Watch The Business of Being Born and you'll see the major differences between MDs and Midwives....

I agree with you- Midwives trust in the woman and her body, and it's ability to birth a baby without medical interventions (unless medically necessary).

MD's see birth as a medical event, and are trained to use medical interventions as a routine.

My midwives let us go until 42 weeks before talking about inductions, which I like. I've heard of dozens of MDs that plan C-sections at the drop of a hat! EEK!!! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageKrissi0931:

I have had 2 OBs this pregnancy due to moving when I was 14 weeks. My first OB I wasnt with him that long this time, but he handled my first pregnancy (had a miscarrige) and did my DNC. I had a good relationship with him. With my OB now I have no complaints except he doesnt like to be in the office on time Friday mornings, but I dont mind waiting b/c Im the first he sees. He takes all my concerns seriously and doesnt rush through even if he late to the office that morning. I wouldnt mind having a midwife, but I also feel safer delievering in a hospital, just incase something was to happen during labor.

Sigh. This proves that people don't understand Midwifery. I delivered both my kids with a midwife, in a hospital. Midwives do not automatically equal home birth. They are trained to do everything an OB is, short of surgery, and use less intervention.
  • I had an OB with my first and I'm seeing another OB this time (we moved from Kansas to South Dakota so I had to switch doctors)...both have been FABULOUS!
  • I had an OB my first time and have an OB this time.  I feel more comfortable with an OB.  My first I had preterm labor and issues.  My OB (I was in a group practice, so really all of them!) were so helpful and informative and also really listened to me. 

When I went in to active labor after two weeks of 4-5 minute PAINFUL contractions even though I was only 3cm they admitted me because I told her I was really having a hard time dealing anymore on my own.  She let me get an epidural, and did no other interventions because she felt like once I relaxed my cervix would open- AND IT DID.  She said I just needed a break for a bit to let me body do it's thing!  I delivered less than 6 hours later!

I am with a new OB group because we moved but thus far I like them.  There is a big difference between a CNM and a CM. Personally I would only use a CNM... but that is me.

image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
  • imageagent79@me.com:

Watch The Business of Being Born and you'll see the major differences between MDs and Midwives....

I agree with you- Midwives trust in the woman and her body, and it's ability to birth a baby without medical interventions (unless medically necessary).

MD's see birth as a medical event, and are trained to use medical interventions as a routine.

My midwives let us go until 42 weeks before talking about inductions, which I like. I've heard of dozens of MDs that plan C-sections at the drop of a hat! EEK!!! 

Sigh.

Not every MD is like the ones they show on this one-sided, biased documentary.  There are lots of doctors out there who care about their patients and don't automatically jump to medical interventions at the drop of a hat.  I am on my second pregnancy with my doctor and she is very good about listening to my concerns, but always makes decisions based on what is best for me and baby.  During my last delivery, I begged for a c-section because my son was so big and I was having trouble pushing him out.  She basically told me that I didn't really want a c-section and to keep pushing.  I had a healthy baby an hour later and I'm so glad she forced my birth plan on me when I wasn't in my right mind.  Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Midwife if I could. Since I am a VBAC patient I have to go with an OB to deliver at my hospital.

And yes, those of you for/against Business of Being Born, it is biased. It is a documentary. That is the point of a documentary. I would have loved a homebirth, but it is not in the cards for me.  

• imageagent79@me.com:

Watch The Business of Being Born and you'll see the major differences between MDs and Midwives....

This is such a generalizationa and not true for all OBs, and I assume not true for all midwives either.

My OBs also will not induce until 42 weeks unless medically necessary, and my OBs never pushed me to schedule a c-section- in fact, they were quite the opposite- mine actually told me his wife delivered their first (10 lbs 11 oz) vaginally and "you never know what you can do unless you try".

Also I found that movie to be SO one-sided, and a lot of the claims made in it were not founded or backed up by actual research or standards of care.

Find a provider- OB or midwife- that's right for you.  Period.  You can't throw blanket statements over "all OB's do this, think this, etc" or "all midwives are this way" etc.

• imageToBeMrsC6907:
    imageagent79@me.com:

This is such a generalizationa and not true for all OBs, and I assume not true for all midwives either.

My OBs also will not induce until 42 weeks unless medically necessary, and my OBs never pushed me to schedule a c-section- in fact, they were quite the opposite- mine actually told me his wife delivered their first (10 lbs 11 oz) vaginally and "you never know what you can do unless you try".

Also I found that movie to be SO one-sided, and a lot of the claims made in it were not founded or backed up by actual research or standards of care.

Find a provider- OB or midwife- that's right for you.  Period.  You can't throw blanket statements over "all OB's do this, think this, etc" or "all midwives are this way" etc.

All of this.  "The Business of Being Born" was the most one-sided documentary ever.  Ditto the bolded.  It's not that I don't think midwives are educated, but they are nurses.  They are not doctors.  I would prefer a doctor, who could be there with me through any/everything I might need for my baby, including higher medical intervention if necessary. 

• I also had an OB with my first and have now switched to a MW for DS2. DH and I absolutely agree that we're receiving better care with our MW than we experienced with our OB.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I see an MD who's been my OB/GYN for over 5 years (wayyy before I was thinking of having babies). But I will likely be delivering with a midwife from his practice. Since I am low-risk, I'm hoping for a low-intervention birth in the birthing suite at the hospital. There's a very slim chance he would be the on-call doctor when I go into labor, so I'd rather have a midwife who will (hopefully) support my plan, as opposed to a "laborist" which is the term the hospital uses for the on-call MD's.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • I see an MD only. If something is wrong, I want to know about it. I like the reassurance.
    Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • We started this pregnancy (1st pregnancy) with an Ob at "the best" hospital in Chicago. I switched to another hospital with a highly recommended Midwifery practice and could not be happier.

Personally, I see birth as a natural process so the midwifery model is much more suited for me than the "active management of labor" model that many Ob's follow.

• This is my first baby so I'm not sure how the later stages and delivery will go, but I actually have a midwife and an OB. I live in London where everything is midwife-led, but I'm delivering the baby in Ireland (where my husband is from) so we travel over there for some prenatal appointments with an OB. I actually feel like the OB listens to me and gives a lot better care and attention than the midwife. I feel like she rushes through appointments and spends more time writing things in my maternity record than listening to my questions. She seems to brush off everything I say as no big deal, but the OB is very attentive. Maybe I am biased being from New York where I have always seen doctors and everyone I know had their babies with an OB, not a midwife. We'll see how it turns out in a few months I guess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagelauralovesbob:
    I'm a physician. After experiencing medical student OB/GYN rotations, I am using a midwife. 

I'm a 3rd year med student on my OB rotation right now! :)   I know what you mean - you can see and hear some scary things at the hospital. However, knowing the major complications that can occur is what keeps me from choosing a midwife. I really like my doctor, but it's a little scary not to know who could end up delivering our baby if my doc can't make it in time or isn't on call. I've gotten to know the OB residents pretty well, and I trust them. They promised to make sure someone takes really good care of me, regardless of who the attending physician is at the time. :)

I go to a DO.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • I started with an OB (who I loved) but a couple of months ago transferred to the nurse-midwife practice that works with the OBs at our hospital (and I love the midwives too!).  I feel it's the best of both worlds.  I get the non-interventionist approach assuming all goes well, but if there are any complications the nurse-midwives will get the OBs involved and I'll already be at the hospital so they can swiftly take care of anything.

I do think that since midwives CAN'T do a c-section but are very well-trained in other ways to deal with issues in labor that typically lead to a c-section (baby in the wrong position, labor stalling, fetal distress, etc.), I have the best chance of avoiding a c-section or other unnecessary interventions if they are my primary caregivers.  But certainly if I ultimately NEED one I will be very grateful for the presence of the skilled OBs in the practice.

BabyFruit Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"