1st Trimester

Dr said no to spray tan?

I had my first dr appt tuesday and my dr asked me if i "fake tan" and I said yeah, its a spray tan. Well, she didnt like that very much and told me not to do it anymore. Does this seem a little odd to anyone? I didn't think it was such a big deal.....
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Dr said no to spray tan?

• If your dr. says no, then i definitely wouldn't do it..........
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Eh, better safe than sorry, you don't want any strange chemicals abosrbed/inhaled into your body!

• Loading the player...
  • Makes since to me.  You're spraying chemicals for your skin to absorb.  Doesn't sound healthy for you or your baby.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ditto the chemicals.  Especially during the first trimester.  You probably end up inhaling a lot of that stuff too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageQmommy:
    Makes since to me.  You're spraying chemicals for your skin to absorb.  Doesn't sound healthy for you or your baby.

Agreed.

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Makes sense to me....you ARE spraying a bunch of un-natural chemicals on your skin, which seeps into your system. I would follow your MD's instructions. Opt for putting on some spf and spending time in the natural sun.
  • mushEmushE member
    I got a few around the time of my wedding last year, and each time the tech asked if I was pg, and said you should not do it if you are. 
    DS: 11/11
    TTC #2 since March 2014. BFP in April 2014; MMC @8w. CP December 2014 @5w
  • Crap, I was totally about to make an appointment for next week. i have never had one. Glad I saw this.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • mushEmushE member

imagewishywashy123:
    Crap, I was totally about to make an appointment for next week. i have never had one. Glad I saw this.

Glad you saw it, too!  I went to a different place later that summer, and they never mentioned it, only the first place, so it doesn't appear consistent that places give a warning.  

DS: 11/11
    TTC #2 since March 2014. BFP in April 2014; MMC @8w. CP December 2014 @5w
  • Well did you ask abt lotion?  If you go online there are many sites of completely organic lotions for tanning ;)  pasty sux but yea a machine spraying chemicals at you is the problem w/spray tan....it's like an aerosol almost which is dangerous and includes you in a lil booth.

Theres very lil research on tanning/spray tanning and pregnancy so warnings aren't available. however, better safe than sorry.  Try the chemical free ones, may not be as pretty but it pays to not look pasty to some people :)

• Well, I got one last week (the first one while being pregnant)  I doubt there's going to be any ill-effects from it on the baby but I will stay away from now on....honestly didnt think about it harming her.  Woops! 6 days til due date!
  • Yeah, it's the chemicals.  More from what you may inhale during the spray tan, than what gets absorbed through the skin.  If you must, make sure to put cotton in your nostrils and try not to breathe any in.  Fake baking or regular tanning can deplete your folic acid absorption.  Your best bet is to use tanning lotion.
  • Ack!!!  I got a spray tan a while ago, thinking it was the SAFE alternative to a tanning bed.  Well, baby looked ok at the last checkup, so thank the Lord, but now I know for next time!!  Never again!!
  •      I called a spray tanning salon and of course they said it was safe, but i opted for those gradual tanning "glow" lotions instead. There is a brand called Nature's Gate that has more natural products. Of course, there are still gonna be some chemicals in it but it is the best one comparted to others on the market. I applied the lotion daily for 5 days and I had a great tan for my friend's wedding (i was a bridesmaid). Because of the chemicals, I wouldn't recommend doing it every day, just for special occasions.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"