3rd Trimester

xp from April 11 - Elective Induction Poll

Circumstance:
My lovely OB is going on vacation from this Friday and returning Wednesday. My EDD is Monday. I have this fear that I will go into labor while he's gone and he won't be able to deliver my son. I'm also not a fan of the OB that's covering him while he's out. Dr. said we can discuss an elective induction tomorrow at my appointment. I'm mostly against medical induction but I'm torn about having my Dr deliver. What should I do. I have to make a decision first thing tomorrow.

[Poll]
Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: xp from April 11 - Elective Induction Poll

• ah yes, inducing because your OB is going on vacation? Sounds like a great reason...

• I've definitely been back and forth on this a couple ways just like most decisions I've made lately :) My sane brain says I'm crazy - my impatient/anxious brain says to go for it :) See hormones make you do wild things. There is a voice of reason in there somewhere I swear.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was 9 days late, just because you have a 'fear' of going into labor while your OB is out of town does not mean you will. Just let your body do its own thing and deal with it, if it happens to be when your OB is gone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted no. You never know if he will be able to come etc. I had a great birth planned with my MW in a birth center and I ended up almost delivering between triage and some random hospital room with some random dr because everything went so fast.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Keep in mind that you'll deal with the nurses for 90% of the delivery anyway. You've never even met them! By the time I needed to push I couldn't have cared less who was down there to catch the kid. Let your body do it's thing and whatever happens happens.
    imageimageimage
  • imageRachaelandCarl:
    Keep in mind that you'll deal with the nurses for 90% of the delivery anyway. You've never even met them! By the time I needed to push I couldn't have cared less who was down there to catch the kid. Let your body do it's thing and whatever happens happens.

This and in my circumstance 90% of the time the OB doesn't deliver the on call doctor does. Inducing for this reason is absurd. I can't believe that your OB would even consider it. Hence my post yesterday on the insane amount of inductions going on for no medical reason. Guess this proved my point.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • I have 2 friends who were induced for this reason--to birth a little early with their Obs (they had membranes swept). One who was trying for a natural unmedicated birth ended up having a c-section, and the other was progressing so slowly she got pitocin, but continued to have her (very painful) birth w/out pain drugs.

Babies secrete a hormone when they're ready to come out & when it jives with the momma's hormones, labor starts. When you rush this process, your labor may not progress as it normally would have. (so in the case of my two friends, they were induced, progressing slowly and needed interventions they may not have needed otherwise). And this is with the least harsh of the medical ways to be induced. I know there are other risks associated with the more medical means of induction.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just like every pregnancy is different so is every person so do whatever you feel comfortable doing.  I don't belive you should let others bully you into either decision so you know what you can handle and what you cannot.  Good Luck either way!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"