February 2011 Moms

Have you nursed in public?

I nursed DD at Target yesterday and you'd think I had leprosy. No joke, people were avoiding me as much as possible. DS started screaming while we were in the baby section so instead of packing up and leaving or going into the dressing room I took DD to the toy section and let her look around while I nursed DS under my nursing cover. This one lady looked at me and backed out of the aisle. It's not like I had a boob whipped out, I was completely covered. I didn't realize it made others so uncomfortable. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have you nursed in public?

• I get that BFing is natural, blah blah blah.  But at what other time in our lives is it appropriate to do anything with our boobs in public?  I think that's what makes it uncomfortable for people.

I've only NIPed once, at a baby shower, and I had my cover on.  But one friend who was sitting near me turned the other way to talk to someone else.  My feelings weren't hurt, I understand it can be awkward for people. 

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Knave nursed e erywhere and never had ant issues. If you are uncomfortable it seems like a bigger deal than it is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have NIP twice and I felt super awkward. But the way I think of it now is you gotta do what you gotta do. Being a first time mom that is nursing..I won't ever think twice about somebody else doing it out in public because of the fact I know how it is. I usually try to get home to nurse that way I don't get so nervous and accidentally flash someone! I haven't mastered the technique of trying to get him to latch properly, switching if needed and trying to get myself put back together without possibly showing my goods off! As long as you aren't exposing your girls to everybody and their mom while you're doing it then more power to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've done it several times, and no longer care if I offend people. It's not like my boob is exposed for everyone to see so I myself do not feel ashamed. I'm just feeding my baby.

The first time I did it was not planned though - I had packed a bottle and it leaked. So, I had no other choice. 

Now, I just don't bother with the bottle - can't stand the thought of wasting milk!

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i have...i hate the stares but whatever its natural... people dont think its a problem at mardi gras when people flash eachother so why should nursing be a problem?!

imageimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with PP....the way many women in public dress shows off more than we do if we nurse in public. I haven't had to BF my DD yet in public, but if I have to I will. We're just feeding our babies! But I remember last year when I was working as a server, a lady came in and BF her baby while sitting with her friends, and a lot of my co-workers were shocked (and a few offended) she did that in public. To me, it was surprising b/c you just don't see it very often, but it was not offensive. And if anyone said anything to me if I was, I would definitely tell them off.
    Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've lost count of how many restaurants I've nursed DS in, much less parks, stores, airplane & airport, other people's homes, etc.  I use my nursing cover, continue whatever conversation I was holding with those around me and get the screaming baby to be quiet.  I still don't like it when I feel strangers around me looking at us (unless they're smiling approvingly, which happens), but I am much less anxious about NIP this time, and it's great.
    A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
    CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I haven't. DD HATES being under the nursing cover...truly hates it. So, that leaves me running to the van and nursing her there. Does that count as NIP? haha.
  • I NIP and have only gotten one dirty look. I use a cover, so not sure why the lady looked so offended? I think there is a complete lack of maturity when people get bent out of shape about it. They're boobs. Designed to feed a baby. Get over it.
  • I've gotten a few ugly stares in public and I notice men will tend to be more uncomfortable with NIP than women would be, but I do it anyway. I got things to do and a hungry baby, and I'm not going to waste valuable time by sitting down in some cold dark cave(aka bathroom) when I just need to get in, get my goods, and get out. If I were to find a place to sit and nurse, then continue, that'd be a waste of 15 min or more- by which time I could be done shopping and be on my way home already!
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I NIP. He's gotta eat and the more women who NIP the less awkward it will become. I mean we don't go to a food court and give nasty looks to people eating.lol
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I thought I would be anxious about it but have found that I'm surprisingly relaxed about NIP. First off, I've found nursing bothers far fewer people than does a screaming baby. Secondly, with my cover on most people really don't even notice I'm doing it. I've nursed everyplace from restaurants to parks to taxi cabs and fancy shopping centers. If I'm getting dirty looks than I have yet to pick up on them.
  • I have nursed in restaurants, church, parking lot at church, grocery store parking lots etc.  I was really nervous about it at first, but decided I was not going to apologize for using my body the way it was intended to be used.  I do use the nursing cover, as a courtesy to others, but if they have a problem because they have conceptualized breast as sexual objects -- that is their problem. 

And I figure European women are comfortable being topless for the sake of being topless. I am feeding a baby -- which happens to be the most important thing to me right now, but I am not going to miss a year of my life, by hiding in the bathroom to do it! 

(side note I did move to a private room to feed DS at the funeral home since DS can be a noisy eater and I didn?t want to take away from the ceremony and would probably do the same for a wedding or similar situation)

• imagestaryeyes:
    I've lost count of how many restaurants I've nursed DS in, much less parks, stores, airplane & airport, other people's homes, etc.  I use my nursing cover, continue whatever conversation I was holding with those around me and get the screaming baby to be quiet.  I still don't like it when I feel strangers around me looking at us (unless they're smiling approvingly, which happens), but I am much less anxious about NIP this time, and it's great.

This except I am a first time momma. 

• I have NIP pretty much everywhere to include while walking through the store... Most of the time I will use a cover up, but there are a few times depending on the shirt I am wearing that I dont... Nothing can be seen because the shirt is loose enough to cover all the way up to DD's face.  I haven't gotten any glares, but I did have one old man once that came up to talk to me about how great it was that I nursed yada yada yada while I was trying to get DD latched on once when she was about 3 weeks old and we were still working on her latch... Akward..Tongue Tied
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"