3rd Trimester

What birth control are you planning on after delivery?

I'm seriously leaning toward the copper implant.  I'm curious what everyone else is considering.  Have you even thought about it yet?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What birth control are you planning on after delivery?

• Condoms. I'm freaked out by the pill. Just personal preference.
  • ehhh. I got off the pill because I was worried that after nine years on it could have screwed me up on getting pregnant for a long while. Four months later I was KO.

So, back to the pill. Worked great for 9 years.

• Loading the player...
  • I got pregnant with this little one due in May on the copper IUD. My body rejected and I didn't have a clue. It was sitting on my cervix with the strings tucked up underneath it. Thank goodness it didn't harm the baby.  
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Condoms while I'm breastfeeding, back to the pill after that.
  • Right now I'm thinking only condoms.  I'm not a big fan of the idea of implants, and I don't want to be on the pill again if I'm BFing...I just don't know.  We also will want to TTC again in probably a year or so, so I'm thinking condoms would be easier to do away with when the time comes.

I was also on the pill for almost 8 years before we TTC'd this LO, and I'm kind of done with hormones I think.

• Depends on what my insurance will pay for. Before DH and  I got married and   I was on my own ins, I was on the Ortho Evra patch and was very happy with it. When DH and   I got married and I got put on his ins (still am) they did not pay for it because it was not a preferrred drug at the time. Got on the pill and I hated it. Hoping since it's been 3 yrs since it was not a preferred drug, it will be now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm really not sure yet. This is my last pregnancy, so we're debating permanent birth control options. I've always used the pill, but I really don't want a birth control method anymore that changes things around for me physically. I feel like I've done that for long enough. So we'll use condoms after delivery until we make a decision. Although based on how I felt after having DS, I won't really have to worry about birth control for a few months Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh, I am dreading this decision.  I was on various brands of the pill for 7ish years, and they just eff'ed me up.  After I got off them to TTC, I swore I would never go back.  IUD's creep me out.  I'm honestly thinking about just going back to charting and using condoms. 
  • I was on the pill before, so my initial instinct was to go back on it again. But after talking to my midwife, it sounds like a good option for me (I'm planning to breastfeed) would be an IUD. She didn't specifically recommend the copper one (which I guess contains zero hormones), but she did indicate that the typical IUD has less hormones than the pill.

I hadn't heard of the body rejecting it, though. This is definitely something I'll want to look into before I decide to go this route! Thanks for the heads up!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
  • If my dh doesn't get a vasectomy, the mini pill.
  • imageAprilLynn09:

ehhh. I got off the pill because I was worried that after nine years on it could have screwed me up on getting pregnant for a long while. Four months later I was KO.

So, back to the pill. Worked great for 9 years.

I was on the pill for 12 years and got pregnant while on it and antibiotics (it was a happy surprise-we knew it was a possibility but figured I was 'safe' again faster than I was), so I know first hand it really didn't screw me up on getting pregnant :P We're going to just let #2 happen whenever it wants but after that I'm thinking about the Mirena IUD because I HATE getting my period (very painful cramping etc).

• This is our last child, and DH is getting a vasectomy (once he gets the courage), so in the meantime, I am going to go back on the NuvaRing... I used it before I we decided to quit preventing and I loved it. It didn't make me crazy like the pill did - and I was on a low dose pill, too. Good luck!
    Check out my blog about parenting, weight loss, and achieving goals with family - all through karate!
  • I went on the mini-pill after DD#1 so I could continue to bf, so i think I will do the same this time around.

• We are going to do the IUD until we decide if we want more kiddos.  If we decide we are "one and done" DH is getting snipped.
  • What is the mini pill?

I've been on pills since I was 17.  I left my job and lost my insurance about six months before our wedding.  So I used up what we had and then we just said, well, if it happens it happens.  Eight weeks before the wedding... it happened!  I had been on the pill all those years partially to make my periods easier and help with moodswings.  But the roughly four months I spent off it were not that different from when I was on it.  So I guess my body has changed and my periods aren't as rough now that I'm older.

With that as a factor, I'm looking into non-hormonal options since I'd prefer not to put more stuff in my body.  Especially since I will be breastfeeding.  I'm super obsessed with research on it right now, as I want to bring it up with the midwife at my appointment tomorrow.

• Condoms while i BF but then after that implanon. Unless DH and I change our minds about when we want our next one.

• I'm going to talk to my doctor about having an IUD. After reading on the copper implant and Mirena, I'm leaning towards Mirena. I'll see what my doctor thinks. 
  • Not entirely sure, this is a question I have been all over the place. I am against an IUD... too many friends of mine had one and hated it for many reasons, though all individual to each other. I have been on the pill since I was 17/18 years old and I am tired of it (11 to 12 years! Thats a LONG time!). I got pregnant while on the pill too, thanks to antibiotics! :p 

Husband hates condoms, and so do I really. Always chafes me, no matter what lube we use. So I will either break down and go back on the pill, or break down and we use condoms.  

** I may need to go back on the pill though, I do have PCOS. Which is a shocker that I became pregnant as a surprise antibiotic baby. Have been told since I was 17 yrs old or so that I could not have kids without help. Who knew antibiotics were my help! 

• I will EBF (98% effective for first 6 months pp) and DH will use the withdrawl method.  Worked for us after DS.  I am not comfortable with any implant/device and DH is not comfortable with me going on hormonal BC (mini-pill).
  • This is it, so MH will be getting snipped.  I'll be 31 and am done with hormonal BC if we're done with kids.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• I had the Mirena IUD before we decided to TTC and loved it. My periods have always been quite heavy and it completely changed them. I never actually stopped getting a period like a lot of women do, but my period was only about 4 days long, with one day being heavy-ish. After DS is born, we'll just chart and use condoms because we're planning to try for number 2 within a year so an IUD wouldn't be cost effective.
    BabyName Ticker

• I'll be getting my tubes tied.  We are done.  After #1, I went back on BCP.  After #2, I got the Mirena.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Either condoms or the copper IUD (Paraguard). I think I'm leaning toward the Paraguard right now but it changes all the time. 
  • Condoms, then maybe the IUD when I'm finished breastfeeding, or the shot.
    Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • Condoms until DH gets snipped in October.
  • I am thinking mirena.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got pregnant while EBF and using condoms.  This time he isn't TOUCHING me until I have an IUD in and the doctor says it is working.  I swear I would put a freaking titanium plate up there to keep his sperm from getting me pregnant 15 weeks after I just gave birth!
    image Momma to Ms. C age 16 months and Mr. C age 3 months!
  • My doctor and I have talked and I am getting the copper implant 2 months pp!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Im leaning towards Mirena, I am horrible at taking the pill, and I user errored my dumb ass into KUdom on Nuva Ring. I need something I can just forget about, and have little chance of pregnancy.
  • imagemcginnie86:
    Condoms. I'm freaked out by the pill. Just personal preference.

This.  Tried the pill once and I was so freaking sick for days.  I wouldn't mind going back on the NuvaRing again, but it has the same hormones as the pill and idk if it will affect BF - I'll check w/my doc this week.

• Vasectomy cause I am D-U-N! Big Smile
  • imageToBeMrsC6907:
    I will EBF (98% effective for first 6 months pp) and DH will use the withdrawl method.  Worked for us after DS.  I am not comfortable with any implant/device and DH is not comfortable with me going on hormonal BC (mini-pill).

lol- we did that too and got pregnant at almost exactly 6 months :) 

{r 6.22.08}{m 3.5.10}{s 6.17.11}
  • imageamanda1680:
    Ugh, I am dreading this decision.  I was on various brands of the pill for 7ish years, and they just eff'ed me up.  After I got off them to TTC, I swore I would never go back.  IUD's creep me out.  I'm honestly thinking about just going back to charting and using condoms. 

This, for the most part. Hormone BC really messed me up the whole time I was on it- my doctor just wanted it all out of my system to get me healthy again, and then surprise, we're pregnant! lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• imagemcginnie86:
    Condoms. I'm freaked out by the pill. Just personal preference.

There are other options other than the pill and condoms...Just saying.......you sort of made it sound like those were the only two choices but im sure its just the way you wrote it.

Live,Laugh and love image"image"image"imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nfp and extended breastfeeding (LAM). I want more kids so it's more to space children than to prevent them :)
  • imageHeather1230:
    Condoms while I'm breastfeeding, back to the pill after that.

You can take the "mini-pill" while nursing and it doesnt get in your milk supply. (if you wanted to..in case you didnt know)

• imageaerotigergirl:

I was on the pill before, so my initial instinct was to go back on it again. But after talking to my midwife, it sounds like a good option for me (I'm planning to breastfeed) would be an IUD. She didn't specifically recommend the copper one (which I guess contains zero hormones), but she did indicate that the typical IUD has less hormones than the pill.

I hadn't heard of the body rejecting it, though. This is definitely something I'll want to look into before I decide to go this route! Thanks for the heads up!

IUD doesnt contain hormones?? It just blocks the cervix so sperm cant pass.

• imageToBeMrsC6907:
    I will EBF (98% effective for first 6 months pp) and DH will use the withdrawl method.  Worked for us after DS.  I am not comfortable with any implant/device and DH is not comfortable with me going on hormonal BC (mini-pill).

BF does not prevent pregnancy and neither does "pull out" method..in fact "pull out" method is not even a BC method......

• imageg00dg0llymsm0lly:
    Condoms, then maybe the IUD when I'm finished breastfeeding, or the shot.

I don't know if you've been on the shot before, but I was when I was younger and it TOTALLY eff'd me up big time with excessive bleeding. My body still hasn't bounced back from the hormonal issues it caused :-( So be careful with long term use if you've never used it before. GL!

• imagellcoolay:
    imageaerotigergirl:

I was on the pill before, so my initial instinct was to go back on it again. But after talking to my midwife, it sounds like a good option for me (I'm planning to breastfeed) would be an IUD. She didn't specifically recommend the copper one (which I guess contains zero hormones), but she did indicate that the typical IUD has less hormones than the pill.

IUD doesnt contain hormones?? It just blocks the cervix so sperm cant pass.

Some IUDs, like the copper one the PP mentioned, do not contain hormones.  Other popular ones, like Mirena, do.  And FYI, your explanation is not really how an IUD works, but thanks for the giggle.  

Also, the mini pill is kind of a joke amongst my circle of friends since 5 of us got pregnant on it while still breastfeeding.

To answer the original question, my husband has kindly offered to get himself snipped.

My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"