High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Cervix shortened to 1.5cm at 27 weeks?

Has anyone had this experience (or had a cervix of that length at an earlier point) and made it significantly farther? I delivered at 23 weeks with my first pregnancy, and with my second I was on modified bedrest at home from 16 weeks on and never had any cervical shortening/dilation until an appropriate time (34-35 weeks, didn't go into labor before my 38 week induction).

I had some pain last week and a couple contractions, but my cervix was ok on Friday. Today, when my OB checked (manually, not via ultrasound) she said it felt shorter than she is used to for me, and when I asked how short she said maybe 1.5cm. Still closed though. I'm working from home almost full time starting tomorrow (going in on Mondays, the same day I have my OB appts, unless that seems too risky). But now I'm FREAKING out.

Would love some stories of similar measurements with good outcomes.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***

Re: Cervix shortened to 1.5cm at 27 weeks?

• Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

It's me :)

I know we have different situations since you have had a pre-term delivery, but I think it will be okay.

My OB's and MFM's won't even do cervical checks after 28 weeks. I had my last one last week.

At this point (and you are basically at the same point where I am at......) they use the fFN tests and symptoms.

That being said......my cervix has been at 1.9 since a month ago. I'm still hanging in there and honestly, I am not just sitting on the couch/bed all day ;) In fact, I was outside by myself with BOTH boys for over an hour on Sunday. The weather was perfect and DH was at work for 10 hours. There was no way I was making them stay inside again and I couldn't find anyone to come over and help.

I'm assuming they have started fFN's?

My cervix has literally been all over the place since we discovered the shortening at 16.5 weeks.

I know you are super nervous, but your cervix is going to fluctuate from here on out.

It is a very good sign that you are nice and closed and you are already on the p17 shots, so that should be helping as well.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

mine was 1.3-1.5 at 20 weeks. I had the stitch put in.

Since then it's lingered just above 2. I go next week for another check but I'm pretty sure it's got to be below two now (went from 2.3 to 2 last month)...I get the stitch removed in about 4 1/2 weeks and am on strict bedrest right now, have been since 20w. I'm going on 32 weeks after 12 weeks bed rest.

Oh and my checks are done at the MFM via internal u/s. Has your OB sent you to a MFM to be checked for a more accurate measurement?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I measured at 1.0 cm just shy of 27 weeks per vaginal ultrasound, which is the most accurate way to measure cervical length. I also have a cerclage and have been on strict bed rest since 19.5 weeks.

That was the last time I had a measurement because my MFM felt there was no significance to measuring past 28 weeks. Now we just go by how I feel (if I have any contractions or pressure etc) and my FFN test every two weeks. 

Not only have I made it farther than I ever dreamed I would back in January, I am being allowed some small privileges at 32 weeks since my FFNs are still negative and I feel great. 

I also have been on progesterone supps since I got the cerclage. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    lots of T&P!
  • Options
    imageCMM05:

I'm assuming they have started fFN's?

My cervix has literally been all over the place since we discovered the shortening at 16.5 weeks.

I know you are super nervous, but your cervix is going to fluctuate from here on out.

It is a very good sign that you are nice and closed and you are already on the p17 shots, so that should be helping as well.

I asked about cerclage (they said it's too late in pregnancy) and FFN and apparently my hospital, as a rule, does not do FFNs. I asked the nurse if it was because they didn't trust their reliability and she said she didn't know. It's one of the best hospitals in the country though so I guess I will trust them. The nurse said that while 1.5 is shortened, the fact that it's not opened, I'm not contracting, etc. means the doctor isn't TERRIBLY worried yet and if she was she would have sent me to the hospital for meds, steroids, etc. So I guess I will just sit tight for now and if anything feels off I'll call/go in, and we'll see how things are on Monday.

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"