1st Trimester

pregnant bridesmaid

I'm supposed to be in my cousin's wedding at the end of August.  At that point, I'll be at the end of my 6th month of pregnancy.  So I'm not really sure what to do about my bridesmaid dress.  David's Bridal has "maternity appropriate" dresses, but I have no idea how to estimate what size I will be at that time.  I could wait and see, but, of course, I don't want to cut it too close because then there might not be enough time for the dress to come in, etc.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or idea how long I can wait until I really need to order the dress?  This is the first time that I've gotten a dress from David's Bridal, so I don't know what their lead times are.

TTC since 5/10
Dx: PCOS 12/10
IUI #1 (2/11/11): Metformin + Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
IUI #2 (3/13/11): Metformin + Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFP
Beta #1 (15dpo) 460, Beta #2 (17dpo) 829, Beta #3 (19dpo) 1550 u/s #1 (4/12/11): Twins!

image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: pregnant bridesmaid

• I would order a few sizes bigger and then alter it down to size when the time comes.. keeping in mind that you get a dress that will be easy to alter/take in.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just ordered my bridesmaid dress for July when I will be 6 months. I got it at David's bc they had a bigger selection than anyone else I could find and they have a little bump pillow which is so much fun! I ordered the dress one size bigger than what I was trying on with the bump just to be on the safe side. They have several styles that are perfect for a little more or a little less room than you anticipated. Have fun and happy shopping!

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i would talk to the people at the store. they should have bellies that you can strap on to approximate how you'll look. the real x-factor comes in how much weight you'll gain in non-belly areas.

DB can move things pretty quickly. that's one advantage to using a big store like that. if the particular sales person you end up with hasn't handled a pregnant customer before, don't hesitate to ask for someone who has, so that they're more comfortable doing the fittings and understanding how the dresses fit and such.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Me too, I'm in my friends wedding in Sept and I also will almost be 7 months.. I'm a pretty small girl anyways 110lbs and I think I'm going to go up 2 sizes?? I really think ill most likely be a lot of belly, but who knows!! 
  • Wait as long as possible to order and order 2 sizes up.  Or, ask the salesperson, I am sure that they have a policy for pregnant bellies fitting into a dress. Good luck!  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is so funny! I never knew that there were so many others who were going to be pregnant bridesmaids! 

I have to attend a wedding in August and I will be a little over 30 weeks.

I have the exact same problem, because I have no idea what size I should order!

Though I don't have the money to buy a larger size and alter it down.

Let me know what works out for you ladies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 2 Things:

You'll need to order at the same time as the other bridesmaids so that the fabric they use for all the dresses is from the same "lot" otherwise, the dye could be a shade or two different if the fabric is from the same bolt.

I'd be careful ordering too many sizes up or down. In my first pregnancy, I didn't change size wise at all except in my tummy.  You don't want a dress that has to be severely altered on the top half of your body. I had dresses that fit all through my pregnancy because of their cut. GL

• imagePhoebeJones3:

you might talk to the bride and see how picky she's feeling. a lot of brides are allowing their maids to pick out any dress as long as it's the same color and length, or from the same collection. that gives you a lot more wiggle room. and any decent sized store, like DB, should be well versed in pregnant maids. usually, basic alterations aren't very much and they do them at the store, so they can turn them around pretty quickly.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• either way a beautiful expecting bridesmaid is a wonderful addition to any wedding because it is nice look at what 'hopefully' is to come for the happy couple:)

• My bridesmaid dresses were from David's Bridal and one girl was 7.5 months pregnant for my wedding.  This is my experience:

1 - Dye lots are a thing of the past.  The technology is much better and the difference in color (from ordering at different times) is negligible.

2 - They have "bellies" you can try on that simulate 3 - 5 months pregnant, but they are not always accurate because every woman is different

3 - Dresses can be altered about 2 sizes in either direction without losing the integrity of the dress style.

4 - Keep the tags on, David's Bridal will exchange dresses so long as it is not worn and the tags are still on.  My pregnant bridesmaid ordered a dress with the rest of the girls (determining size by wearing the belly & ordering larger than that to begin with) about a month before the wedding she tried it on and it didn't fit, so DB exchanged her dress for a larger size and all was fine.

• I'm in the same boat. My brother is getting married at the end of July and I'll be 4 months pregnant. I'm waiting unitl the last possible minute to order the dress and just hope for the best!
  • I got married last June and one of my bridesmaids was 6 months pregnant as well.  The store where we got the dresses had a fake pregnant belly that she was able to try on with the dress.  She just ordered the dress in the size that fit the belly and had it taken in to her actual size a week before the wedding.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just ordered from DB and it took about 1 month for the dress to come in, so they're pretty fast.  (Not that you should wait until July, of course!).  I would order a forgiving style, maybe with a tie-back, and 2 sizes above your current size.
  • imageInfamousQBert:
    imagePhoebeJones3:

you might talk to the bride and see how picky she's feeling. a lot of brides are allowing their maids to pick out any dress as long as it's the same color and length, or from the same collection. that gives you a lot more wiggle room. and any decent sized store, like DB, should be well versed in pregnant maids. usually, basic alterations aren't very much and they do them at the store, so they can turn them around pretty quickly.

I would say if push comes to shove, she would ultimately either cut me out of the party, or maybe let me have a different colored dress all together.

She did send me a color swatch in the mail, so I know she is wanting me to get as close as humanly possible. 

I'm thinking of going to David's Bridal to get the same dress as the others. The dress that the other bridesmaids bought is cut right under the boobs, so I think it may work with a pregnant belly, but I have yet to try it on.

Thank you for the advice!

(Sorry, didn't mean to steal your post!) 

• David's gets thing in really quick, so I wouldn't worry too much.  Order the dress a month or two before the big day.  The maternity dresses are sized to accommodate nearly any belly size with extra fabric and cut/fit.  The bust line will be the trickiest, I imagine.  Alterations before the wedding will be key.
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • I ordered my friend's bridesmaid's dress in November... before I knew I was pregnant.  I had ordered a size up and it was still no where near going to fit me when the time came...  So I found that buying off the rack was going to be easier for me, and I actually found a dress at Target that was remarkably similar to the actual dress and only $30 :)  I was lucky because we're wearing black dresses... but maybe you can find something off the rack that would work for you?

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/192-0246780-0925664?asin=B0049293SA&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0049293SA&CPNG=women&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0049293SA&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageguppysown@yahoo.com:

2 Things:

You'll need to order at the same time as the other bridesmaids so that the fabric they use for all the dresses is from the same "lot" otherwise, the dye could be a shade or two different if the fabric is from the same bolt.

I'd be careful ordering too many sizes up or down. In my first pregnancy, I didn't change size wise at all except in my tummy.  You don't want a dress that has to be severely altered on the top half of your body. I had dresses that fit all through my pregnancy because of their cut. GL

I work for David's Bridal and I can tell that they do not have dye lot issues. When you go to the store ask them for the belly pillow. If you are in between sizes go for the larger size. The dresses can be taken in but not let out. I can also tell you that now is bridesmaid season so if your dress is a color besides black, apple, or watermelon you may have to wait up to 12 weeks before you get your dress.

Hope this helps!

• I am in a wedding in October and I will be almost 38 weeks.  The bride insisted we order the dresses in Jan, so I did.  We were't going to start trying untill May/June so I ordered the dress one size larger then I measured thinking that I would be at max 5 months and prob just showing b/c this is my first PR.  I got my suprise bfp in Feb.  It will be a miracle if I fit into the dress I ordered and I have zero desire to buy another $225 dress.  The dress is empire waist so there is some wiggle room as long as I don't gain to much non-belly weight.  I found another Bridesmaid who ordered a dress that is 3 sizes larger.  She is trying to loose weight so I'm praying that she will loose enough to fit into my dress and we can trade.  The only downside is that I am 5'10" so I ordered extra length and the other dress wasn't ordered with extra length so it may be an inch or so short.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try on the dress with the bump pillow.  Davids is also really good about getting the dress in another more appropriate size with little time.  We wanted to conceive right after our wedding (Oct) and I am in a wedding next weekend.  So we ordered a dress 1 size larger (it fit with the pregant pillow) Since we didnt get pregnant, and in face micarried, I called them in Feb and had them exchange it for the size smaller.  A week after the smaller size came in we found out I was again pregnant and no way on Gods green earth was that thing fitting me.  Davids found a store close enough to me that had it in the larger (orginal) size in time for the wedding.... they need about a month to get a dress in but can alter within a few weeks of the event, and they work with pregnant women often so are experts!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a bridesmaid just a couple weeks ago and I was just about 5 months pregnant. We had to order the dresses back in December (before I found out I was pregnant). Luckily in our case, the bride chose dresses that had laced up corset backs. Being 5 months pregnant I still fit into the size 0 because of the corset. I had to make it super loose around the belly area, but honestly if I were any bigger it would not have worked. The bride should understand, but as long as you go in a few weeks before the wedding and get alterations you should be okay. Good luck and congratulations!!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"