Breastfeeding

Sudden Stop in Nursing

Help!  My son is 9.5 months old and has suddenly stopped nursing.  Up until now, he's refused to take a bottle but all of a sudden, that's all he'll take.  He acts like he wants to nurse, but then he bites me.  This just started last night.

Has anyone had this happen to them?  Why might this have happened?  How can I get him to nurse again?

Re: Sudden Stop in Nursing

• Sounds like a nursing strike. We've been through 3. Kellymlm has some good info. Pump to keep supply and keep trying to get him to latch - sleepy is your best bet.
  • Yes!  Lena is much younger but is in the midst of a nursing strike.  The irony is that she HATED the bottle in the beginning.  It took us 7 weeks to get her to take it.  Now, she hates to nurse and gets frustrated because my let downs are slow.  Sleepy is INDEED best.  I have the best luck with her if she is sleepy or just woken up.  Also, I find that she's easily distracted and she flails and flaps her arms too much.  I wrap her up in a blanket and that calms her down enough to nurse.  Also, I switch sides a lot.  When one side is slow to let down and she starts crying, I switch and that keeps the milk flowing more continuously for her.  Definitely keep pumping in the interim because your supply will crash otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"