2nd Trimester

hating this in between phase

I feel like I look fat in everything I wear. Maternity tops are too big and regular tops a size up just make me look frumpy. I can't wait to look pregnant and not just fat, my belly is definitely out there but squishy....I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks for that

Anyone else in the saem boat? What are your fashion tips? (Tops seem to be the problem for me, my jeans I can still get away with the hairband trick for a while)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hating this in between phase

• I'm in the same boat, so annoying.  Only tip I have is to wear sweats for the next couple of weeks lol. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I absolutely feel the same way! I haven't come up with a solution yet during this transition period, but I did buy my first pair of maternity jeans (that fit now) so I am pretty happy about that!

ETA-wording

• Loading the player...
  • I figure I have about 2 more weeks until I'm in maternity full time.  I'm 18 weeks, 2nd preg.  I'm completely in maternity pants for comfort's sake.  I've been raiding DH's closet.  He's not a ton bigger than me normally but his shirts are cut boxier.  So I've been wearing his polo shirts and a few button downs, his Adidas gym suits fit me relatively well too. At first he was a little freaked out that I would stretch out the boob area but I told him he either has to share or I go shopping! 

• Yep, but my regular clothes still fit.  You may have a while yet.  People give me a baffled look when they find out just how far along I am.  I've begun to "pop" so I'm wondering just how much longer my regular clothes will fit.  At some point soon I'll have to buy some maternity clothes! 
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • I went to Old Navy and bought a couple shirts in a size larger than I normally would. They are long enough and show off the bump that I have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i've just found that wearing shirts that are more flowy i can still wear in my size and feel ok.  it's the pants that the bad part for me.  But yes i just feel fat and people that know keep saying how cute my baby bump is but it doesn't feel like a bump to me yet.

January 2014 Spreadsheet
  • I've been wearing lots of long shirts with a cardigan over them. I'm still in my pre-preg jeans so that helps. But the layers can be very forgiving and still look cute.

My 17 week shot:

I was in the showing, but not really phase. Now the bump's a little bigger and I've been wearing a belt on top of my belly over the cardigans to accentuate it a bit.

I'd try to avoid sweats and baggy clothes because they just make you look bigger than you are.

Good luck!

• I'm definitely in the same boat! I wish I had better advice...I'm living in stretchy pants and t-shirts
  • I bought a few flowy tops from forever 21 bought a medium instead of small. they look great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I'm plus size anyway so I just went to Avenue and got a shirt in a size I would normally wear and it shows my bigger boobs and bump perfectly. I got a shirt in the next size available to wear when I get furthur along. I'd suggest going up another size and seeing how that works for you.
  • I was thinking the same thing this week. I fit in my jeans and slacks but the tops are the problem. I have this roll that appeared outta nowhere! I went shopping at JcPenney's and bought some maternity tops and like you said they are too big. I went to the Motherhood store and tried on a smaller size (and even one size smaller than that) and they fit like my normal size. The good thing is they are very stretchy (they have a pillow in the dressing room that is supposed to represent 3 month belly) so you put it under the shirt and it stretches really good. I love the feel of the clothes and I can wear them when I have a bigger belly to show. Good luck.
  • I only have one pair of regular pants that are still comfortable with the belly band.  I just bought another pair of maternity jeans tonight and with those pants some of my shirts are still ok.  I have a handful of maternity shirts that are still way to big, but I also have a couple I can wear now.
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • When I was in that phase, I wore longer, flowy tops. Pair your flowy tops with slim jeans & sandals for a super cute look! Another attractive look is a tunic paired with leggings. Also, go for v necks, bold (yet tasteful) necklaces, & earrings to bring attention upward & away from your belly if you're feeling a little self-conscious about that area right now. Other great options for tops are empire waist tops & jersey tops,

Avoid tight/clingy tops. Accentuate your best features, every girl's got them! :-)

Hope this helps!

**Don't be afraid to spend a lot of time shopping if you can make the time. I'm sure that you'll find some things that will look fabulous on you! Trust me.

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • Wifebeaters were my staple with LO #1.  That way it made me look really pregnant instead of just chubbed out.

I haven't had too much of a problem with this pregnancy yet, my old stuff still fits

• SLIM JEANS? LEGGINGS? What happens when all your weight is going into your legs and butt and back? My jeans BARELY (if they do anymore) fit me and I only have about 2 pairs that I really like and now those are super duper tight! They don't button! Don't worry I AM in the same boat! I've gained 9 lbs so far and the Nurse said that only 1/2 lb was the baby and the rest was me. My biggest problem is that I am super petite and curvy. 2 lbs over my normal weight makes me look chubby! My stomach is definitely not all baby and mostly all jiggle...I'm not big enough to shop maternity but not small enough for normal clothes! ALSO I'm 24 and still shop in the juniors section of every store, thats how small I was before I got prego! I am learning to live with it! Maybe I will have to settle for a smaller size of maternity jeans, stretchy pants and t-shirts for a while because I don't look pregnant just chubby...*sigh*
  • I stick to sweatshirts when I can.  Sometimes though, I don't mind trying to wear something that emphasizes my tummy, so that people get the idea that its a baby no just fat.  
  • imageETABOADA:
    SLIM JEANS? LEGGINGS? What happens when all your weight is going into your legs and butt and back? My jeans BARELY (if they do anymore) fit me and I only have about 2 pairs that I really like and now those are super duper tight! They don't button! Don't worry I AM in the same boat! I've gained 9 lbs so far and the Nurse said that only 1/2 lb was the baby and the rest was me. My biggest problem is that I am super petite and curvy. 2 lbs over my normal weight makes me look chubby! My stomach is definitely not all baby and mostly all jiggle...I'm not big enough to shop maternity but not small enough for normal clothes! ALSO I'm 24 and still shop in the juniors section of every store, thats how small I was before I got prego! I am learning to live with it! Maybe I will have to settle for a smaller size of maternity jeans, stretchy pants and t-shirts for a while because I don't look pregnant just chubby...*sigh*

Let me guess, you're pear-shaped, right? If your jeans are so tight & uncomfortable, you may want to switch to maternity jeans for comfort's sake. To balance your hips & thighs, go for boot cut and perhaps straight leg jeans. Darker washes can be very sliming as well. Pair a tunic w/ leggings or slender jeans ( just make sure that the tunic is long enough to cover your butt). Avoid Capri & cropped pants. A-line skirts & dresses are also a great option, especially for spring. For tops, go for boat neck & V necklines, empire waist, loose cardigans (that hit you at the fullest part of your hips) & lightweight, draped tops. Bright colored tops are fabulous on your body type. Play with prints & colors, ruffles & details on top. Trapeze dresses can be very flattering on you.

That being said, I think that you need to work on your self-image & quit being so hard on yourself. 9 lbs gained by 19 weeks pg is not excessive weight gain. Doesn't your doctor tell you that you are right on track? I worry that you say that your biggest problem is that you are petite & curvy. In my opinion, petite & curvy are both positive traits that you can flaunt! I know girls who would kill to have curves & tall women who wish that they were short & dainty. Try to appreciate your unique beauty & accentuate your best features ;-) 

~Best wishes 

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • I just went and bought some maternity clothes yesterday.  I think the pants witht he full belly panel make the bump look a little rounder.  Plus they are way more comfortable.  I was getting red marks on my belly from my old pants.  My boobs have gotten huge, so the maternity tops that fit them have a little too much room in the belly area but they still look okay.  I think we just have to kind of suffer through this stage :(
  • I've been in maternity pants for a couple weeks now - mostly because they are more comfy, I already had them from DS1 and I couldn't stand the belly bands.

For shirts I've been trying to do more empire waist ones with cardigans or ones with fun necklines to bring attention away from my belly.  I also love the flowy shirts that have a tight band around the bottom.  They hide the bump pretty well and are great for after the baby is born too!

• I went through that phase a few weeks ago.  I just wore more baby doll type looser fitting tops and I did buy maternity pants pretty early on.
  • One word: dresses!  I really like maxi dresses with an empire waist - helps accentuate that bump and they're super cute :)  H&M has some fabulous options - and they're non maternity, but they've got room to grow in and will be great postpartum too!  Whenever the weather is nice, dresses are my go-to.  They're easy, fast, and you look put together and cute while still being comfy and not feeling frumpy.
  • Yep, the in btwn phase still sucks... :-/
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still in the in-between phase too. Rather than looking like I'm almost half way through my pregnancy, it just looks like I eat too much ice cream.

I just wear a long vest top under regular shirts to work since most maternity tops are so huge. Target has them for super cheap and they'll still work after R?n?n is born, so I bought lots of them. Cardigans are helpful too if they're worn undone-they make you look slimmer. I usually pair it with a skirt and some tights for work, or just comfy yoga pants the rest of the time. I have a couple of pairs of jeans that still fit normally, but they aren't something I can wear to the office. :(

I'm really, really trying to avoid actual maternity pants as I probably won't ever have another child and I'm going to be at my most enormous in July/August. Somehow, I don't see pants as a practical option then. Instead I'm hoping that I'll be able to get away with just skirts all summer worn below my bump so that I'll be more comfortable and will (hopefully) be able to wear them again. 

• I'm going through the in-between phase too. I've just been wearing a lot of long tops with legging or using the hairband trick with my jeans. I try not to worry about looking fat and not pregnant, I'm more concerned with being comfortable. Everyone I care about knows I'm pregnant.

I wish the weather was better then I'd be wearing sun dresses ALL the time. They're great for hiding those bumps and lumps you don't like and I think they look so cute over a baby bump!

• imageSugarQueen101:

imageETABOADA:
    SLIM JEANS? LEGGINGS? What happens when all your weight is going into your legs and butt and back? My jeans BARELY (if they do anymore) fit me and I only have about 2 pairs that I really like and now those are super duper tight! They don't button! Don't worry I AM in the same boat! I've gained 9 lbs so far and the Nurse said that only 1/2 lb was the baby and the rest was me. My biggest problem is that I am super petite and curvy. 2 lbs over my normal weight makes me look chubby! My stomach is definitely not all baby and mostly all jiggle...I'm not big enough to shop maternity but not small enough for normal clothes! ALSO I'm 24 and still shop in the juniors section of every store, thats how small I was before I got prego! I am learning to live with it! Maybe I will have to settle for a smaller size of maternity jeans, stretchy pants and t-shirts for a while because I don't look pregnant just chubby...*sigh*

Let me guess, you're pear-shaped, right? If your jeans are so tight & uncomfortable, you may want to switch to maternity jeans for comfort's sake. To balance your hips & thighs, go for boot cut and perhaps straight leg jeans. Darker washes can be very sliming as well. Pair a tunic w/ leggings or slender jeans ( just make sure that the tunic is long enough to cover your butt). Avoid Capri & cropped pants. A-line skirts & dresses are also a great option, especially for spring. For tops, go for boat neck & V necklines, empire waist, loose cardigans (that hit you at the fullest part of your hips) & lightweight, draped tops. Bright colored tops are fabulous on your body type. Play with prints & colors, ruffles & details on top. Trapeze dresses can be very flattering on you.

That being said, I think that you need to work on your self-image & quit being so hard on yourself. 9 lbs gained by 19 weeks pg is not excessive weight gain. Doesn't your doctor tell you that you are right on track? I worry that you say that your biggest problem is that you are petite & curvy. In my opinion, petite & curvy are both positive traits that you can flaunt! I know girls who would kill to have curves & tall women who wish that they were short & dainty. Try to appreciate your unique beauty & accentuate your best features ;-) 

~Best wishes 

Yes I am pear shaped! Haha! Thank you so much for that! I appreciate the tips and will most definitely look into all of them! No my nurse told me that I need to watch my weight because only 1/2 a pound was that of the baby and the rest was me. Plus because I have such a short torso, I literally look obese! No one would ever believe that by "dr standards" and "Scale standards" i was overweight before I got pregnant. But I was very slender before I got pregnant and have never felt this type of body change and its taking a little bit of a toll on my energy! I'm trying very hard to stay positive and keep excercising!

• i am in the same boat and find wearing a tank top under the shirt helps defines the belly a little more and looks a little less squishy!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers M/C #1 Jun 2006 8 weeks M/C #2 Apr 2010 7 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"