Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Super Sad about Mirena Copay

I was planning to go for Mirena and get it all set at my six week appointment but I went in this last week for in infection issue and the doc said that the copay with Kaiser is $500. They just uped it from $300 and she was livid. And I was just sad. I can't afford to shell out that much. Sigh...gotta figure out some sort of new plan now.
imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Super Sad about Mirena Copay

• imageHoolahZinger:
    I was planning to go for Mirena and get it all set at my six week appointment but I went in this last week for in infection issue and the doc said that the copay with Kaiser is $500. They just uped it from $300 and she was livid. And I was just sad. I can't afford to shell out that much. Sigh...gotta figure out some sort of new plan now.
    Im in the same boat as you. Mine went from 150 to 300 all bc our insurance changed. Really sucks. Sorry about that. Hope you are able figure something out.
    Sorry for the crappy layout. I bump from my phone. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm just lurking over here, but check out Planned Parenthood or another family planning clinic in your area. They should know if it might be available to you at a lower cost. 

I'm hoping for an IUD after the baby, so this was a good reminder for me to check with my insurance... hope you get it figured out!

• Loading the player...
  • I so understand where you are at.  I called my insurance a couple of days ago, and was told that if I went the IUD route it was not covered.  We can not afford to shell out of pocket, so the pill it is until that last 30 % that we are holding out of having another child is decided upon.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ahhh boo that was my plan too... on to another plan i guess lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
    Jackson 4-2-11
    BLOG!
    baby blog
    2months
  • my doc told me to check the mirena website. they have a payment plan and if ends up being the same cost as the pill for about 2 years and then you have it for three years without paying anything....it is worth a try...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would really sit down and do the math. My insurance covered mine but they said if they didn't (which i guess happens a lot) it would be 1,000. So my bf and I sat down to do the math because if your thinking of doing mirena over the pill or ring or something you buy monthly it will probably save more money doing a one time larger payment then small month by month
  • Your lucky your insurance covers any of it even at $500 co-pay. My cigna insurance covers $0 of any IUD. So I would have to pay 100% out of pocket which would be $1000 for the mirena plus the cost of the apt/insertion from the dr which is like $350 I believe!? Mirena and Paragard both offer 12 month payment plans for those whose insurance doesnt cover it, the info on their website. But $100 or so a month is still too much for us right now with soon to be nanny costs 4 days a week.

To me it makes zero sense with my insurance, because the plan covers generic oral BC for FREE which comes out to over $1,000 each year cost for them and zero cost for me- but they won't cover any % of an IUD which is $1000 one time and is good for 5 years. Since we want a LO#2 within the next  few years so I will not pay out of pocket for this. If we have the same insurance after the next baby I will consider getting it since it will be more worth the money for the 5 years for mirena or 10 for paragard.

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"