2nd Trimester

Elective c-section anyone?

Hey ladies. Just wondering if any of you are pondering the idea of having an elective c-section? Any thoughts about it?
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Elective c-section anyone?

• No. 

And I think doctors who offer them for no medical reason what so ever should lose their licenses.

It's major surgery. The recovery tends to be significantly worse than a vaginal birth, and outcomes for mom and baby aren't as good.

I'd do some research if I were you.  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • nope. and any ethical doctor won't do one without a medical reason. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Before I got pregnant I always said I would have a c-section.. mainly because I thought I wouldn't have to deal with labor. Now that I'm actually pg, I realized that it might not actually be better. (I'm not by any means one of the ladies who wants an all natural birth, I just mean in terms of down time/recovery, etc.) Just seems like vaginal delivery might be the best way.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I would take the recovery from a vaginal delivery over a recovery from a c-section any day of the week. I honestly do not understand the appeal of a voluntary c-section... I don't want a doctor cutting me open unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Mommy to our sweet girls: Avery Terese 4/11/08 Lucy Elizabeth 9/10/09 BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I had a c-section with my DD, and this time around i am hoping for a VBAC. One thing i remember from the recovery was everytime my DD would do something really cute and i would want to laugh it hurt to the point that i was bawling. It felt like my stitches were going to rip open. It was like that for over a week. If a c-section is medically necessary, only then should it be performed. 
  • imageJason'swife:

No. 

And I think doctors who offer them for no medical reason what so ever should lose their licenses.

It's major surgery. The recovery tends to be significantly worse than a vaginal birth, and outcomes for mom and baby aren't as good.

Yes

I would never have a C-section "just because". I would if it was absolutely and completely necessary to save my baby's life or my own but thats it.

• Unless it is medically necessary, don't do a c-section. This will be my third & none of them have been (will be) my choice. It's a major surgery. I have to agree with prior posts: if a doctor is willing to an elective c-section, then they should have their license taken away. 

Just a question, something to think about: Are you willing to put yourself and your child at risk just to save yourself a little time in the delivery room?

Yes, contractions are painful...extremely painful, but so is recovering from a c-section.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I didn't even know that people could have elective c-sections until I heard some lady say "Oh, I want to schedule the day of my baby's birth so that I can take a cruise before the good deals are over". Really?

Seems risky to just have it done out of convenience!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Research to see what's best for you, but c-sections are major surgery, more expensive and you have a longer recovery time.
  • imagemandyhall2882:

I didn't even know that people could have elective c-sections until I heard some lady say "Oh, I want to schedule the day of my baby's birth so that I can take a cruise before the good deals are over". Really?

It is so dangerous to take a baby out before it is ready for no real reason. I am not a fan of "picking" due dates.

• imagemandyhall2882:

That's exactly right. You might want to read "Pushed" by Jennifer Block. It's extremely well researched and provides some great info for anyone who is pregnant.  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • I had a 4th degree tear with DS, so I have been given the option of having a c-section this time.   We've (I've) decided to take my chances with another vaginal delivery - beside the fact that it's major surgery, you can't lift anything heavier than a newborn after a c-section.  I'll have a 16mo old at home that's still in a crib.  There's no way I could go without picking him up. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hell yeah, I like the idea of being able to plan the due date and know when it's going to happen, etc. I probably won't be permitted to do it, but it sounds good on paper!
  • I wouldn't want to plan a major surgery unless it was medically necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Would never consider it. Do your research.

Personal experience (sorta :P) my bff had a c-section Oct. 21, 2009. I had a natural, vaginal delivery Feb. 14, 2010. I was "back to normal" before she was. Stitches were not the only place she experience extended pain. And if you plan on having more than one child- 1st c-sections are considered quite safe. They become more dangerous everytime. And not every hospital/dr will do a VBAC. If nothing else you should at least find out if your Dr will do a VBAC. Then if you do decide to have a c-sec, you will at least know if you have other options later.

• Definitely not, and my OB won't allow it either.

If I found out she did offer elective c-sections, I would likely change doctors. I have an issue with trusting my health to someone who is (in my opinion), lacking ethics.

A friend of mine is planning on being induced (with a c-section if she feels her baby is too big), and how her OB allows it is beyond me. 

• I have no choice, I will C-Sect again with this little one. I had to as well with my daughter. I remember hearing "Oh, you had her the easy way" WTF seriously?  I got a 6-8 inch slice hip to hip. Most have a 6 week recovery, I wasn't allowed to even DRIVE until I was at least 8 weeks post partum. Recovery from the C-Sect was HARD.  Can't hold your baby after she is born because your arms are strapped with an IV, I didn't see her for SIX hours because they had to medicate me after they took her and I was in recovery (it IS a surgey). I did not HOLD her for SIX hours.  Walking down the hall clinging to your IV pole for dear life and balance while bent over trying to hold your guts in because it feel like they are about to fall out.  Breastfeeding from the SIDE because I could not HOLD her against my abdomen, the pain was too intense from the stitches which were actually STAPLES. 

Yeah.  I had her the "easy" way. 

Anyone who chooses a C-Sect because it is "convenient" should be bi*ch slapped and the doc who performs it should have their license revoked.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A repeat c-section, yes. I did my homework on a vbac and I don't think it's for me. It this was my first, I wouldn't schedule an elective c-section. My recovery wasn't bad at all and no problems whatsoever with me or DD, but a vaginal birth would have been preferred for so many reasons.
  • imagenorvelln:

I have no choice, I will C-Sect again with this little one. I had to as well with my daughter. I remember hearing "Oh, you had her the easy way" WTF seriously?  I got a 6-8 inch slice hip to hip. Most have a 6 week recovery, I wasn't allowed to even DRIVE until I was at least 8 weeks post partum. Recovery from the C-Sect was HARD.  Can't hold your baby after she is born because your arms are strapped with an IV, I didn't see her for SIX hours because they had to medicate me after they took her and I was in recovery (it IS a surgey). I did not HOLD her for SIX hours.  Walking down the hall clinging to your IV pole for dear life and balance while bent over trying to hold your guts in because it feel like they are about to fall out.  Breastfeeding from the SIDE because I could not HOLD her against my abdomen, the pain was too intense from the stitches which were actually STAPLES. 

Anyone who chooses a C-Sect because it is "convenient" should be bi*ch slapped and the doc who performs it should have their license revoked.

Wow, if this was my experience I would have never gotten pregnant again. I held/fed DD a half hour after she was born, had stiches not staples, and was given a couple binders in the hospital to wear while I recovered to make movement easier. I was also cleared to drive at my 2 week post-pardom appointment. Like I said, I would never have chosen a section as a first option, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I just had an abnormally easy recovery.
  • imagemandyhall2882:
    Hey ladies. Just wondering if any of you are pondering the idea of having an elective c-section? Any thoughts about it?

I'm not pondering it, I have to for medical reasons. Having had a c-section before, I would do anything not to have to repeat that. However, everyones' situation is different and it's good to have the option if needed. 

• I'm not sure why anyone would choose major abdominal surgery. Pushing a baby out seems waaaaay more easier....LOL. Not to mention healing is much easier so I can actually enjoy my newborn in those first moments and days. Nothing sounds appealing about a C-section unless it's medically necessary for me or the baby. Call me crazy!
  • No, I wouldn't elect to have one.

That being said, I had to have a c-section with DD and it was a great experience. I healed quickly and didn't have much pain at all. I wouldn't suggest opting to have one "just because", but mine wasn't bad at all. I'll be having a c/s again this time. VBAC wasn't an option for me- and I don't mind one bit.

• I've actually had a couple of dreams the last few nights where my doctor told me that I HAD to have a c-section because LOs head was too big (FI has a GIANT head *cry*). I'd wake up in the middle of the night and consider it for all of three seconds, then come to the conclusion I was crazy and went back to bed lol. I don't really have anything against them, but I'd like to prove to myself I can actually do it.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLJR 84:

No, I wouldn't elect to have one.

That being said, I had to have a c-section with DD and it was a great experience. I healed quickly and didn't have much pain at all. I wouldn't suggest opting to have one "just because", but mine wasn't bad at all. I'll be having a c/s again this time. VBAC wasn't an option for me- and I don't mind one bit.

This. Exactly. All of it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • I had an easy c-section too, but I still wouldn't just opt for one as a 1st time Mom without some trial labor. 

The main reason I'd try vaginal birth is for the baby's benefit.  C-section babies can have fluid in their lungs because they didn't experience the compression of the birth canal.

I feel the need to add after reading the rest of the post that although my c-section recovery was pretty easy, I still bled heavily for 6 weeks and post partum sex was still EXTREMELY painful for awhile.  I think some of the pain issues are hormonaly related and not just the result of vaginal trauma.

• I will be having a c/s this time due to issues with my two prior vag deliveries.  It's not something I would choose without a reason, but to each their own.  I've talked to many friends who have had c/ss about their experiences and to me it doesn't seem that bad.  It's usually people who haven't experienced one who are so against it.  I have two friends who had elective c/ss with their firsts and they are both happy with their decisions.  

I'd do some research and decide what's best for you.  

• imageStructenggal:
    I had a 4th degree tear with DS, so I have been given the option of having a c-section this time.   We've (I've) decided to take my chances with another vaginal delivery - beside the fact that it's major surgery, you can't lift anything heavier than a newborn after a c-section.  I'll have a 16mo old at home that's still in a crib.  There's no way I could go without picking him up. 

FTR, you're still on a lift restriction with a vag delivery--at least I was. 10lbs I think...for 2-3 wks.

• imageJason'swife:

No. 

this, 100000%

• You are fortunate.  Then again, maybe things have changed since 1995 when I delivered my daughter.  Despite that experience, I find myself fortunate to have finally concieved again.  It only took 10 years since we had started trying. 

My ding was to those who are moronic enough to elect a c-section when they have the opportunity to have a normal delivery and those who make the dumb "easy way" comments. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ummm nooo...? Why would you want to go through surgery if you don't have to??? It is major surgery, I would never put my body through that unless I absolutely had to for my health or the health of my baby... Women are made to give birth vaginally... Been doing it for thousands and thousand of years..
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same thing with me laughing hurt so much.  And I was always afraid my stitches were tearing open.  I know they told me that could not happen but it sure felt that way.  The recovery from this was really crappy not to mention that you really do not even get to recover because you have a new baby to take care of.  All I wanted to do was sleep and stay in bed when I got home but of course that was not an option.  It has been almost 5 months since my C-section and I still feel numb and get sharp pains every once in awhile.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As someone who HAS to have c-sections I would not recommend an elective one. The recovery is awful plus there is a greater risk of infection to you. Plus it interrupts your bonding time with your baby, they take him/her to recovery while you're still getting stitched up (that is how they did it at my hospital) and every time they take the baby for the first 24 hours you can't go with your LO because you HAVE to stay in bed. They put you on a liquid diet for at least 24 hours. All around it is not a desirable expierence. I suggest anyone considering one to think twice. 
  • imageJason'swife:

No. 

Yes.  All of this.

• If this is your first, no way.  I wouldn't elect for a c-section.  I had one with my son because I wasn't progressing.  The recovery was terrible, it took me 6 weeks to feel normal again and I couldn't sneeze, laugh, get out of bed.... without crying.  I hope for a VBAC this time if possible.  Not only was the recovery horrible, I didn't get to see my son for SIX hours after delivery, it was terrible. 

• Whoever chooses to have an elective c-section with no medical reason is simply an idiot, and extremely uneducated. Why people would want to undergo major surgery without it being a necessity is beyond me. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebuckeyeki:
    imagenorvelln:

I have no choice, I will C-Sect again with this little one. I had to as well with my daughter. I remember hearing "Oh, you had her the easy way" WTF seriously?  I got a 6-8 inch slice hip to hip. Most have a 6 week recovery, I wasn't allowed to even DRIVE until I was at least 8 weeks post partum. Recovery from the C-Sect was HARD.  Can't hold your baby after she is born because your arms are strapped with an IV, I didn't see her for SIX hours because they had to medicate me after they took her and I was in recovery (it IS a surgey). I did not HOLD her for SIX hours.  Walking down the hall clinging to your IV pole for dear life and balance while bent over trying to hold your guts in because it feel like they are about to fall out.  Breastfeeding from the SIDE because I could not HOLD her against my abdomen, the pain was too intense from the stitches which were actually STAPLES. 

Wow, if this was my experience I would have never gotten pregnant again. I held/fed DD a half hour after she was born, had stiches not staples, and was given a couple binders in the hospital to wear while I recovered to make movement easier. I was also cleared to drive at my 2 week post-pardom appointment. Like I said, I would never have chosen a section as a first option, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I just had an abnormally easy recovery.

I highlighted the previous responder's first sentence,  because it is actually very profound.  There are a large number of women who are voluntarily infertile after c sections because they just can't go through the surgery and recovery again.  Not a physical infertility, but a conscious decision to not have any more children because of the previous experience. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is that even legal? Who the hell would do this? This is odd.........I am having a c-section however it is NOT elective. There is a medical neccessity.
    Live,Laugh and love image"image"image"imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Heck no! I do not want to recover from that. I am avoiding a c-section at all costs as I did with my son.
  • I had an emergency c/s with my first pregnancy and even though i had a super easy recovery I am hoping for  VBAC this time and my OB really want me to try it because its so much better recovery-wise.
  • imagenorvelln:

I highlighted the previous responder's first sentence,  because it is actually very profound.  There are a large number of women who are voluntarily infertile after c sections because they just can't go through the surgery and recovery again.  Not a physical infertility, but a conscious decision to not have any more children because of the previous experience. 

No, no that just sounds like they chose not to have any more children.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"