Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Posted on 9-12 but thought you might be able to help

DS will be one in a week.  I am kind of worried about him.  For the past two weeks he doesn't drink much formula during the day.  I try to offer it at different times, but for example...today he had 12 oz total.  He used to eat his three solid meals a day so good.  I couldn't get the food on the tray fast enough.  But now, he eats a little and then just sits and plays with it.  And he has started sleeping awful!!  Last night he was up from 2-4 am!!  He would not go to sleep in his bed.  I would have let him CIO a little but we had company sleeping over and I was really worried about him waking them.  So I sat with him.  He has been up each night for the past 4 nights.  So not only am I worried that he isn't eating well and I am also worried he is not getting enough sleep.  I'm sure they are related.

He isn't teething and has no fever.  Would you be worried.  I also tried whole milk last week and he drank it and spit it out and looked at me like what in the he## is this stuff.

DH just left with DS to go to our lake house for the weekend with his parents because my best friend is in town for the weekend and I don't get to see her much and he wanted me to spend some good time with her without having to worry about DS schedule.  So I am going to actually get some sleep tonight, but I just can't stop worrying about him.  Would you be concerned? 

Re: Posted on 9-12 but thought you might be able to help

• How long has it been going on in general?  DD went through different phases sort of like this, kids are all a little different, when she was having either growth or developmental spurts.  If it's not been a going on a whole two weeks I would just watch and let it be.  If he was to quit eating altogether then that's a different story of course.  Ophelia's phases usually lasted anywhere from 4 days to 1 1/2 weeks.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Not saying this is what it is but my kids often have ear infections when they act like that...

It could totally be a phase although the combo of not eating & being up more than usual at night seems to me that he isn't feeling well or something. GL! 

• Loading the player...
  • To have those symptoms together ie not eating/sleeping, my DS is usually teething or has an ear infection.  Hope you get it figured out, it can be frustrating and exhausting when you don't know what's wrong.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the ear infection but that would certainly fit as well.  Eating can hurt from the pressure, so can sucking a bottle, and it hurts more when they lay down, again from the pressure.  Has your LO been messing with their ears or the sides of their head?  If you think he doesn't feel well, or feels pain, I'd take him in.  Something like 85% of ear infections clear up on their own but not all of them for sure.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'd have to say an ear infection is the best guess.  My DD never tugged at her ears but had similar behavior as yours.  It could also be a growth spurt or just a phase.  If it goes on for more than a week I'd take him to the Dr. to rule out or confirm an ear infection.  You could also try putting some Sweet Oil in his ears to see if it helps (it won't hurt).  If that calms him down than he definitely has an ear infection.  Enjoy your rest and Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"