Natural Birth

Feeling so relieved! (kind of long)

I am usually just a lurker on this board, but I had to share this!

I had my bi-weekly c/u yesterday with my OB (there is 1 OB and 2 MW in my practice that you rotate seeing). I brought in my birthplan for him to check over. Since this is a completely new town and state and Dr. this time around I have been really nervous that they wouldn't be open to my requests. It's a really small town (20,000 pop) and I was afraid they would have their way of doing things and that's it. I gave him the birthplan and he actually read the whole thing right there ( I figured he'd take it and put it in my chart and that's it) and said he didn't have a problem with any of it. He just said that I would probably have to go with the continual fetal monitoring but that they have improved since DD was born and you can walk around etc with them, and that if LO stays breach they will have to do a c/s but that most likely she will flip well before time. Anyhow, I have been very worried about how all that would go over and figured I'd have to fight for my rights, I am so relieved now!! I feel like now I can finally just relax and enjoy the last few weeks.

Here's my only question: Should I take the birth plan along on my tour this weekend so I can talk it over with the hospital personnel or is that overkill?

A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~Victor Hugo Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeling so relieved! (kind of long)

• Yay! My first birth was in a small town, and I understand your concerns because that's how mine went. I am so happy for you that your experience is better! I would take my birth plan with me, but also take into consideration whether they had time at that point to look over it, particularly if there's a good-sized group touring together. Although, any questions you have might be on their minds, too. You might be able to schedule a small, private tour where you would have time to discuss your preferences with the head nurse, etc., otherwise.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Belmack~ It will just be us at the tour. Advantages of a small town...lol. They just told me to call the morning we wanted to tour and they would be waiting for us!
    A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~Victor Hugo Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thats awesome! I love hearing things like that!

I was seeing a midwife for this whole pregnancy and then (suddenly out of the blue) she moved to another state. I was pretty shocked to hear this and a little peeved. I had to be switched to the OB in the office. My midwife had cleared my birth plan, he however....  laughed at me for wanting to go natural and tried a "scare tactic", told me routine pitocin WOULD be administered for the placenta and that I would NOT be allowed to move around after my water broke.

I wish there were more OB's like yours! Time to put on my big girl pants and fight for what I want I guess...

• I would absolutely take my birth plan with me, then. That's so awesome!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • imagebea0422:

Thats awesome! I love hearing things like that!

I was seeing a midwife for this whole pregnancy and then (suddenly out of the blue) she moved to another state. I was pretty shocked to hear this and a little peeved. I had to be switched to the OB in the office. My midwife had cleared my birth plan, he however....  laughed at me for wanting to go natural and tried a "scare tactic", told me routine pitocin WOULD be administered for the placenta and that I would NOT be allowed to move around after my water broke.

I wish there were more OB's like yours! Time to put on my big girl pants and fight for what I want I guess...

What?? I would be absolutely fuming!

OP- I would definitely take your birth plan with you! 

But just be aware- with that kind of tour they will probably just send whichever nurse is not busy at the time. Which is nice, since you'll get to meet someone "on the inside" but if you don't a super pro-natural vibe from her, it could be that it's just her opinion, not the hospital norm. Don't let that discourage you =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"