Breastfeeding

3 week old breastfed ds sleeps all day- normal?

She sleeps all day. I pretty much have to wake her up every 2 hours to nurse. She will fuss when it is close to the 2 hour mark. She has an alert period around 8am and always after a bath and one around 9pm but that's pretty much it. She is also always awake at 3am. When will she be more awake during the day. I feel like she is only waking up to eat. Anyone else?

Re: 3 week old breastfed ds sleeps all day- normal?

• sounds like my son when he was that age.  he usually only stayed awake for 30 minutes at a time.  if that.  when he was around two months he'd stay up to play for about an hour and by three months we got about 90 minutes out of him.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I stopped setting the alarm. DS fusses when he is hungry, and I feed him then. Overnight, we get 2-4 hour stretches between feedings. If he's not eating, he's usually asleep.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That's pretty normal. Newborns eat, sleep, and poop. :) Like pp said, as LO gets older they'll have longer awake periods. You're doing the right thing by waking her to nurse. Newborns also can have their days and nights mixed up. DD was like that for a while. Just hang in there, her patterns will change a lot over the course of the next several weeks and months. 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"