1st Trimester

20 weeks?!?

i called my doctor to see if they were going to do an ultrasound at my first appointment on monday, so i know whether or not to bring DH. They office receptionist said that they don't do ultrasounds until 20 weeks!!! i can't wait that stinkin long!!! do you think they'll do a doppler or transvaginal ultrasound before then? you don't think they'll make me wait til 20 weeks to hear the heartbeat? Ugh! i hate not knowing!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 20 weeks?!?

• My office starts using the doppler at 12wks.  Some OBs will try sooner but my Dr. said it just makes you worry if you try to soon and don't her the HB.  I did not get a u/s with DD1 until 19.5wks.  But hearing her HB at my monthly appts kept me calm until the u/s.
    imageimage
  • They'll probably start doppler around 10+ weeks and do it at every appointment after that. What does your insurance cover as far as ultrasounds? Many OBs only do the anatomy scan unless there are issues that call for more ultrasounds. 
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm not sure what my insurance covers as far as ultrasounds. i guess we'll find out!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you get the NT scan that has an u/s otherwise there are places you can pay for elective u/s as well!

• Most doctors won't do an u/s until 20 weeks.  We had an earlier one because we were unsure of dating.  If you really want to see the baby before that you will likely be offered the first tri screenings which would include a detailed u/s at about 12 weeks.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They'll use the Doppler between 10-12 weeks with all probability. They obviously wond do a transvaginal ultrasound because they told you they only do one scan.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I guess every OB is different. I just had my 2nd ultrasound (both transvaginal) and I am 9 weeks. The first was very early and it was just because I had a previous m/c so my OB always schedules one right away for high risk pregnancies. Then my second was to see and measure the heartbeat. It was too early to hear it so they didnt even try to hear it so they wouldnt get my hopes up. I am surprised to hear your OB wont do anything until 20 weeks but like I said, I hear different things from everyone so I guess every OB does it his/her own way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most OBs will only do the 20 weeks ultrasound because most insurances only allow one unless medically necessary.  And if I were you I would be happy that you don't need one because of something like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• My office does not do U/S until 20 weeks unless there is some complication (bleeding, cramping, history of miscarriage, or you don't know the date of your LMP).  They do let you hear the heartbeat on the doppler somewhere around 11-12 weeks.  I went in on Friday, 11 weeks and 2 days, and heard the heartbeat on the doppler right away.  My first appointment at 6 weeks just was to pee in a cup and confirm I was pregnant and have a quick vaginal exam. 

• My OB office does a "freebie" transvaginal ultrasound at the first appointment.  However, once she discovered it was twins I had to go in for a second one to confirm.  Other than that, I don't have another one until 20-ish weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There's no real reason to do an u/s for you right now. You're really early along and there's not much to see (trust me, I went at 5.5 weeks and it was just a sac-- mine was for dating purposes).

They should, however, give you the option to do the NT screening around 12 weeks.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• my first and only u/s is at 20 weeks.

Thats a good thing.  My OB only does them sooner if they can't find a HB. 

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • imagepeanutboogie:
    My office starts using the doppler at 12wks.  Some OBs will try sooner but my Dr. said it just makes you worry if you try to soon and don't her the HB.  I did not get a u/s with DD1 until 19.5wks.  But hearing her HB at my monthly appts kept me calm until the u/s.

This.

www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"