Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Do you tip the pizza delivery guy?

If your pizza place charges a "service charge" of $2.50, do you tip the driver? Is that his tip? Do delivery drivers make less than minimum wage?

What gives? I need to know!!!

EDIT: I fixed some spelling. Thanks ladies for the responses! We DO tip our guy, but I was unsure if the service charge went to the driver directly. DH tips very well, but I was stingy according to you guys ($2 on top of service charge). I will do better!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you tip the pizza delivery guy?

• J+MSJ+MS member

I do.

The delivery charge pays for gas and mileage. 

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I doubt the 2.50 goes to him, but I could be wrong. I would still tip. But then again, I work in the service industry so I always tip.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i do
  • Definately. The tip is all they get to help compensate for gas. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • J+MSJ+MS member
    imagehappyhoopla:
    Definately. The tip is all they get to help compensate for gas. 
    Not true, at least at all the pizza places here. Most places pay for gas and they get their tips.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I  am cheap so we always get carryout. But yes you should tip the driver at least 20%. You also should tip carryout people. But I only give them 10%, in my experience they get min wage because they are usually hostesses.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Jap09Jap09 member

The domino's box says something like this. "Delivery charge is not a tip paid to your driver. Please reward your driver for awesomeness."

Anyways we tip, no matter where its coming from. Also, we frequent the pizza places enough that they would start to remember if we didn't and then I don't know what could happen to my pizza.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep, we always tip him/her 20%.
  • I tip the driver in addition to the fuel charge.
  • imageJ+MS:

I do.

The delivery charge pays for gas and mileage. 

This.  I tip good too.  Service employees in Texas only make $2.13 an hour..  When I was a bartender, my paycheck was always $0.00 after taxes and SS.

I think most pizza delivery guys get paid closer to minimum wage, but that's still pretty meager.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageJ+MS:
    imagehappyhoopla:
    Definately. The tip is all they get to help compensate for gas. 
    Not true, at least at all the pizza places here. Most places pay for gas and they get their tips.

That's not how it was when I delivered pizzas. Tips=gas money. I made just over minimum wage plus tips.  I got no gas compensation.

I always tip.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• DH is a delivery driver for Dominoes for one of his jobs so...

He says that they charge $2.00 for delivery. Drivers get $1 of that and the rest is plainly a charge for delivery. He makes minimum wage.

So that $1 per delivery pays for gas, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on tires, and all other more frequent upkeep on their cars because of all the extra time on the roads.

So to say the least, I always tip pizza delivery drivers.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagejlhinkley:

DH is a delivery driver for Dominoes for one of his jobs so...

He says that they charge $2.00 for delivery. Drivers get $1 of that and the rest is plainly a charge for delivery. He makes minimum wage.

So that $1 per delivery pays for gas, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on tires, and all other more frequent upkeep on their cars because of all the extra time on the roads.

I'm not sure $1 is worth that! How many pizzas does he deliver a night?  Even if he delivers 20 pizzas, that probably barely covers gas.

• imagejlhinkley:

DH is a delivery driver for Dominoes for one of his jobs so...

I KNEW someone would have first hand knowledge! Very enlightening. DH and I have this debate every time we order pizza. I wish they would just tell us how much goes to the driver. I would probably tip much more!

• Yes. We always tip. Actually funny story... on New Years we ordered pizza & forgot to tip! We felt so bad that a week later we reordered hoping to get the same guy and double tip! No such luck :/ we really feel bad!
  • We do not tip just for the pure fact I make minimum wage too so why would I pay someone more than I make. Furthermore drivers can get partial tax write offs for car and gas.
  • Having worked at Dominos, here's the drill. Every franchise is different in how much of an hourly wage the driver gets. Technically they only need to be paid the same as a waiter or waitress. My franchisee paid minimum wage. The delivery charge covers the mileage (usually about $1), and the rest goes to the store. Tips are, of course, optional, but very much appreciated.  

I always tip the driver that comes to my house, partly because I usually know the person, and also because I used to2 be a driver. And I know how frustrating it is to try to get to the person's house on time, be pleasant, and get stiffed. 

I still remember the time that someone's order came to $18.99. Her response as I was giving her the change: "I'm not worried about the penny." That is rude, in my book. I would rather have just not gotten any tip. 

Sorry for any random letters or numbers, I think I got them all. Caleb was attempting to help Mommy write this.

• imageJap09:

The domino's box says something like this. "Delivery charge is not a tip paid to your driver. Please reward your driver for awesomeness."

Anyways we tip, no matter where its coming from. Also, we frequent the pizza places enough that they would start to remember if we didn't and then I don't know what could happen to my pizza.... 

This. DH used to deliver pizza for Domino's back in the day. Gas came out of his own pocket. Not to mention all the things you have to pay for, for using your own car. Tires wear down faster, car needs extra attention because it is used so much. So ya a tip goes along way.

Ever since DH worked there, any time we order pizza now he makes sure we give them a big tip. He has walked a mile in their shoes.

imageimage    
    imageimage
  • I always tip the driver. They usually are using their own car to run all over town in crazy traffic and weather. I tip them great for saving me the headache.

I worked in a pizzeria throughout high school (my little brother still delivers pizza's there) and those drivers deserve a tip IMO. Especially when it's raining and snowy : )

• Pretty sure our's makes min. wage, but I always tip them anyhow.  I mean, they got in a car to bring my food to me.  I feel that deserves even more of a tip than the waitress who walked a few feet.  They DROVE, found my house, then dealt with my barking dogs...yeah, he gets a tip.  I don't usually tip anyone more than 15% because we are broke, but I always try to tip a little.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I tip delivery but not carryout or at places like Dunkin Donuts unless I just throw my change into the cup. Sometimes I think tipping gets carried away.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamp2312:
    We do not tip just for the pure fact I make minimum wage too so why would I pay someone more than I make. Furthermore drivers can get partial tax write offs for car and gas.

I'm a firm believer in "if you can't afford the tip, don't go out to eat". I think this applies in this situation. From now on maybe you should just go pick up your pizza.

• imageamp2312:
    We do not tip just for the pure fact I make minimum wage too so why would I pay someone more than I make. Furthermore drivers can get partial tax write offs for car and gas.

As a former delivery driver, this makes me cringe. If you can't afford a tip for someone who has most likely risked their life (depending on weather conditions, traffic, and the area you live in), then you should either pick up your food or not order. Especially if you live a huge distance from the store (like opposite end of town). Knowing what happens when the driver gets back to the store, they likely groan about having to bring your order to you, since they will have to drive over there and know that delivering to your address always means no tip. It's frustrating when you basically live off of your tips, have bills to pay, provide adequate (if not awesome) service, and don't get a tip, because a customer has this mindset. 

Trust me, not tipping because the service was crappy or took WAY longer than they told you is one thing, but not tipping because you feel that you shouldn't give someone more than what you make an hour is just not a very good reason. 

Please note that not every delivery driver makes minimum wage. At the store I worked at, they did, but they were expected to do more work at the store (cleaning, helping pull pizzas out of the oven, answering phones, etc.). A lot of stores only pay drivers $2.50 (or whatever the minimum waiter/waitress pay is) an hour. And the drivers really do live off of their tips in these cases. 

On an additional note, tips on a credit card, while easier for the customer, suck, because the driver is forced to claim those on their taxes. Technically they are supposed to claim everything they make, but most pull their cash tips out ahead of time, so that all they have to claim is the mileage and whatever came in on a credit card. I always feel bad that because I don't have cash on hand 99.9% of the time, I have to tip on the card. 

• imagewhenyouseesparks:
    imageRobinSparkles214:

imageamp2312:

I'm a firm believer in "if you can't afford the tip, don't go out to eat". I think this applies in this situation. From now on maybe you should just go pick up your pizza.

Seriously.

My thoughts exactly.  You're basically saying you don't tip out of jealousy.  If you want tips, get a different job.  As I said above, many tipped employees make well under minimum wage as an hourly rate because they consider tips part of their income.  Some slow/bad days as a server, even with tips, I made only $4 an hour or so because cheap skates didn't believe in tipping.  Like it or not, it's very ingrained in our culture. 

• I tipped our driver $6 the other day and his eyes went all big and he was shocked to see that much money. People don't tip those in the service industry enough these days.
    BFP:11/1/11 EDD: 7/3/12 M/C:11/22/11 8w1d
    BFP: 5/23/12 EDD: 2/2/13
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBrian'sWifey:
    I tipped our driver $6 the other day and his eyes went all big and he was shocked to see that much money. People don't tip those in the service industry enough these days.

I can tell you, $6 would probably make my eyes go wide, too. :)

Average around my area is about $3. Best time for tips is usually Christmas Eve. I worked and open to close shift one year as a driver (we were open 11-8). I made at least $100 in tips as the only driver between 11 and 4, with probably another $20 between 4 and 8 when I had to share my deliveries. It was a busy day. 

• yes we always tip $ 5.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamp2312:

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  Actually, it defies logic.  Just stop talking.

TTC since Jan. 07
    6 IUIs,IVF #1 w/ICSI = BFP!
    Betas, 332 & 856 = twins!

Our baby girl is here!
  • imageRobinSparkles214:

imageamp2312:

Um ya. If tipping someone once in a while for providing you a service is going to be that hard on your wallet, then maybe you should rethink your finances. And what your spending your money on.

imageimage    
    imageimage
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I delivered pizza in college. We got paid less than minimum wage so yeah I counted on tips to make up the difference. We got a bit of money at the end of shift to "help" with gas but it was basically fvck all. Tip your delivery guy/girl. Don't be a cheap-ass. Anything less than $2 was lame.
  • imageblondek8:
    I delivered pizza in college. We got paid less than minimum wage so yeah I counted on tips to make up the difference. We got a bit of money at the end of shift to "help" with gas but it was basically fvck all. Tip your delivery guy/girl. Don't be a cheap-ass. Anything less than $2 was lame.

Not related to this topic at all but I HAD to say, I LOVE your display photo!

imageimage    
    imageimage
  • I worked at Papa Gino's for 4 years and there was a $1.75 delivery charge, and only $.65 went to the driver for mileage. The rest goes to the corporation. On top of that, the drivers cannot make more than minimum wage because they make tips. Not every place has a delivery charge, but I always tip $5 and $7 if it's raining or snowing. Given that I've seen first hand how much hard work and sometimes bullsh*t delivery drivers have to go through, I think they absolutely deserve to be tipped.
  • imageamp2312:

I'm laughing that you think your reasoning makes sense.  I agree with PP that I think delivery workers deserve even MORE of a tip, driving all over town in whatever weather, etc. etc.  And I'm also cringing at the PP who said that tipping gets carried away.  Oh dear.  And I have never worked in the food/service industry. 

• imageharleyjo:

imageamp2312:

I'm laughing that you think your reasoning makes sense.  I agree with PP that I think delivery workers deserve even MORE of a tip, driving all over town in whatever weather, etc. etc.  And I'm also cringing at the PP who said that tipping gets carried away.  Oh dear.  And I have never worked in the food/service industry. 

This..... when DH gets stiffed on a delivery, it sucks. He starts hating his job and hopes to God that those people dont order ever again!! There is an area in our town that is considered the lowest of the low, and DH delivered a $50 order there once and they stiffed him because of this very reason. They actually told him that they werent giving him a tip. That is such crap!

And here's another thing, most people get food delivered BECAUSE the weather is bad and they don't want to go out in that weather for whatever reason.... but you expect your delivery person to go out in it and you dont tip them????? wow..... thats really bullshiit!!

Moral of the story... tip your delivery person!

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageRobinSparkles214:

imageamp2312:

Or how about not. I take care of people for a living, I'm a PCA and get paid minimum wage, my job is a little bit more important than delivering pizza. And I didn't say I could afford it BTW.

• imageSookieFrackhouse68:

imageamp2312:

If you can't tip, don't get pizza delivered. This is just rude.

And no, they can't.

Look for Maine laws darlin.

• imageamp2312:
    imageRobinSparkles214:

imageamp2312:

Or how about not. I take care of people for a living, I'm a PCA and get paid minimum wage, my job is a little bit more important than delivering pizza. And I didn't say I could afford it BTW.

Indifferent You're quite a gem.

• MSC03MSC03 member
    imageamp2312:
    imageRobinSparkles214:

imageamp2312:

Your job heirarchy pissing contest is fascinating. Tell us more, oh Couth-less Wonder!

If pizza delivery is so unimportant, how about you NOT ORDER PIZZA? Foreign concept, I know.

If it's important enough for you to have it delivered to you, then they deserve to be paid for it.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"