Baby Names
Options

Boy name

DH suggested the name Calvin last night.  I like, but don't love it.  We're having a hard time agreeing (I'm voting Hugh).  My first thought is that it's a little dorky and reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes.  Thoughts?

Re: Boy name

• Options
    I like it. It reminds me of Calvinism and Calvin and Hobbes, but neither are negative references IMHO. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Love Calvin!

Cal Ripken, Jr. is awesome.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Calvin! Unfortunately it can't be on our list because its one of DH's friends, and it would just be a little weird lol. I think of Calvin & Hobbes as well, which is a classic comic... definitely not negative:) 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been trying to convince DH that Calvin with a NN of Cal is a great boys name...but he just isn't feeling it.  Calvin James.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickera>
  • Options
    I love Calvin because Cal Ripken Jr. is one of my all time favorite baseball players (even though I"m a red sox fan) and Calvin and Hobbes was one of my favorite comics growing up. 
  • Options
    Calvin is sooo cute! Love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i personally love the name Calvin, but it's one of our neighbor's kid's name and i'd feel weird naming my kid the same thing as one our neighborhood kids.  which sucks cause there are tons of kids in our neighborhood with great names...we may just have to break down and use an already used name...anyway!  i think Calvin is a great name!
  • Options
    Eh, it's okay.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    dislike.  i don't like hugh either.
  • Options
    I really like the name and that's not really a bad thing, having the name from Calvin and Hobbes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    Calvin is great!
  • Options
    I love the name Cal, with Calvin as a formal name. This was my grandmother's reasoning, actually. She loved the name Cal, but didn't think it was formal enough, so she named my uncle, Calvin. And just called him Cal and hoped the nn would stick. It was 50/50. I'm not a fan of Hugh.
  • Options
    I also think it's funny that everyone is thinking of Calvin & Hobbes and Ripken, Jr., but not Calvin Klein. Haha.
  • Options

imageSarahPLiz:
    I like it. It reminds me of Calvinism and Calvin and Hobbes, but neither are negative references IMHO. 

This, especially the Calvinism part. It is a tad nerdy/heavy of a name but again, for me, that's not necessarily a negative.

• Options

I love the nn Cal.  Calvin is OK, but Cal is awesome.

Hugh is cute too, but I prefer Cal. 

• Options
    I like Calvin and Hugh but I'd be more likely to use Hugh.

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options

I love Calvin and Hugh.  Both of them were on my short list, but DH vetoed both of them.

Calvin because he flat out didn't like it.  And, Hugh because it's his grandfather's MN and he hates his grandfather. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"