Preemies

New preemie mommy

Hi everyone

I've been lurking for a while and wanted to introduce myself. ?My daughter was born 2 1/2 weeks ago at 27w 1d. ?She was severely growth restricted due to placental insufficiency (of unknown origin). ?When she was born she weighed 1 lb 1 oz, and she's now up to 1 lb 4 oz. ?So far she hasn't had any major problems (no brain bleeds, no PDA), but she's had some problems with breathing and eliminating CO2 so she's been on the vent since birth. ?

It's been very hard for my husband and me - the whole one-day-at-a-time thing. ?I'm just looking for some other moms who have had similar experiences to talk to.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New preemie mommy

• I am currently going through this as well. Well not totally the same. My son was born 10/25 due to PROM. He was born 4lb and 3 oz. It has also been very hard on my husband and I. No one t really knows what it is like unless they have been through it or are going through it.  have found this board to be extemely helpful as I am navigating raising my preemie. I am here if you want to talk and I am in NJ. You can e-mail me if you want sabloja@vzw.blackberry.net

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Welcome to the board and congrats on the birth of your daughter.  The NICU is quite a rollercoaster ride and we have all been there so feel free to vent, ask questions, whatever you need to do.  Everyone here is very nice and helpful.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Loading the player...
  • congrats on your daughter. ask any question you want. no questions is crazy. :)
  • Welcome and congratulations!

My little one wasn't quite as little (1 lb 11 oz) and she was a 28 weeker ... but I'm now proud to say she is 2 weeks shy of her 1st birthday and doing really great!  Our NICU stay was 88 days.  Anyway ... I've been down a similar road and will be happy to answer questions if/when you have them!

• Hello and welcome.

My son was a 26weeker born at 1lb 7oz. He spent 5 weeks on the vent and another 3 on CPAP.. The lung issues were rough, I won't lie.

But much to EVERYONE'S surprise, he was off oxygen before he came home and doesn't seem to have any signs of lung disease now.

You'll hear it a thousand times- they really are fighters. They put up with way more than we ever would.. way more than they ever should have to.

NICU life is one of those experiences that defies description. Everyone will tell you it's a roller coaster. I keep telling everyone it's more like bungee jumping. Sometimes the ups and downs are so drastic that you feel like you can't catch your breath.

Good luck to you guys. Let us know if you have any questions!

• Congrats and welcome to the board!  Sounds like your DD is a little fighter!  This board is very nice and helpful.  Good luck!
  • Hi,

I am also a new mother to a little girl that was born at 29 weeks 6 days, she was born at 2 lbs 11 oz.  I have a bicornate uterus and she literally had no more room to grow. She is a little over two weeks old now and I am trying to really take it one day at a time but noone could have prepared me for how hard it is to do that!!!! Would love to talk to other mothers who have been through the same experiences.....

• Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! My baby was born at 26 weeks and weighed 1 pound 14 ounces. He spent 12 weeks in the hospital and came home 5 weeks ago. He was on the vent, CPAP, and nasal cannula in the hospital and did not wind up coming home on oxygen. The NICU definitely has its ups and downs. Ask the nurses and doctors as many questions as you want. Please feel free to ask me any questions too.
    Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Congrats on the birth of your daughter!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats... Before you know it your baby will be home in your arms. There are so many success stories here and it is very encouraging reading everyones tales.

My cousin had a 24 weeker. She weighed 1lb 2oz. She was on a vernt for 4 months, cpap for a month and in the nicu for 6 months total. She did have a cat4 brain bleed and a severe blood infection and her parents were told she would not survive....she is 5 years old now, in kindergarten with no setbacks or deficits. Other than being small, she is just like any other 5 year old....cept she is a major tuffy. Nothing phases her. She got her hand caught in a mousetrap and didn't even cry!!! I guess that is what happens when you go through what these babies go through.

• Congrats and welcome! My guys were born at 28wks 6days fir the same IUGR problem in Baby B (that's Evan) umbilical/placenta.  They turned 7mos actual yesterday and are doing great.  My IUGR baby had few problems and came off vent very quickly but my other twin had much more problems and came home on O2 for 4 months.

Let me know if you have any questions, you can also read our story in my blog.  NICU is rough and you will be there a long time but it is an amazing place that helps do wonderous things.  So does this board.  The ladies here are wonderful and really know their stuff.  We're here to help you!!

• Congrats to you and your family.  This board has been so helpful to me... I only wish I had known about it when DS was in the hospital!  He was born at 29 and 6, weight 3lbs9oz, and they are still unsure of why he came so early (a questionable abruption).  The pp's are right- these babies are so strong and are so so resilient... they really are miracles.  Good luck to you and please use this board as a source of support for you... we have all been there.
  • My DS was born at 36 weeks and had RDS and a neumothorax, all he's finally out of the NICU and home after two weeks.

I know its really hard seeing your baby in the NICU with all those tubes and wires. My thoughts are with you. Its great that she has no major problems! Good luck and Congrats!

• I am a new preemie mommy too.  Congrats on your little bundle of joy!

My DD was born at 26 wks and 1 day.  She was 1Ib. and 10 oz. She is still on the ventilator and having lung issues as well, but she's a feisty little girl.

• Welcome and congrats on your little fighter.  I had my DD at 27 weeks, 6 days and she was 2 lbs, 1 oz.  Our favorite neonatalogist told us that age is more important than size, so your little one is proving that right!  Please feel free to ask us any questions or vent if you need to.  We've all been there.  We have a blog, too, that we started when I got sick with pre-e.  You can look back and see pics and read our story if you want.  robbieandmartha dot blogspot dot com.

Keep us posted!

• sorry i'm welcoming you so late. ?this board is amazingly supportive. ?she sounds like she's doing really well so far. ?it's torture to go through an experience like this...but i promise you, someday it'll be in your past. ?take things one day at a time and know that this board is here to help when things are rough and celebrate the every day miracles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"