February 2011 Moms

If baby doesn't keep the pacifier...

...are there any tricks out there to make the baby like it?

We bought three different kinds and none is really winning. My baby boy (5 weeks old) likes to suck (a lot!!) but I can't turn into his human pacifier!! He cries a lot when he's awake, don't think he's colicky as the moment I put him on my breast he sucks (not necessarily eating) and is fine. 

Would appreciate some replies of other mommies went through this. Please tell me it's just a stage... 

Feli, 

Re: If baby doesn't keep the pacifier...

• My LO isn't huge into the paci either, which I think is a blessing in the long run.  He only like the Soothie ones, like the kind from the hospital.  We often have to hold it in his mouth for a bit and/or tickle the roof of his mouth with it to get him to start sucking, then he'll attack it and usually calms down for a bit.  Thankfully he always spits it out before he falls asleep so we mostly use it as we're getting a bottle ready or to settle him if he's really gassy.

You could always just try letting him suck on a clean finger tip if he won't take the paci and you don't want him on your boob all the time.  You can also try giving him some mylicon gas drops to see if that's the reason he's fussy.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • I would love to have him take a pacifier.  I've probably spent $25 on different pacis and he hasn't taken any.  Soothie, GumDrop, Nuk, Avent...I'm done buying new options.  Sometimes if he's really fussy I try it again, but it's never worked...he makes a horrible gagging face and pushes it out with his tongue.  I don't know what to say. DS1 took his Soothie from Day 1 and gave it up at 2.  I guess I don't have to figured out the best way for DS2 to give his up...in the meantime, I sure nurse him a lot more than I nursed DS1!!
    A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
    CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • MAM...totally recommend this brand. I tried them all and this was by far her favorite and she was able to keep it in her mouth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• DD didn't really like the pacifier until I bought her a Wubbanub that helps keep it in her mouth.  Now she loves it.  https://www.wubbanub.com/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRileyGrace:

My LO isn't huge into the paci either, which I think is a blessing in the long run.  He only like the Soothie ones, like the kind from the hospital.  We often have to hold it in his mouth for a bit and/or tickle the roof of his mouth with it to get him to start sucking, then he'll attack it and usually calms down for a bit.  Thankfully he always spits it out before he falls asleep so we mostly use it as we're getting a bottle ready or to settle him if he's really gassy.

This is exactly how DD is. Sometimes we'll hold it there and she'll just kind of chew on it for a minute before she realizes she's supposed to suck on it.

I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • I second the Wubbanub...it really helps her keep it on/near her mouth because she'll suck for a few minutes and kinda spit it out then want it again, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamyk927:
    I second the Wubbanub...it really helps her keep it on/near her mouth because she'll suck for a few minutes and kinda spit it out then want it again, etc.

What am I doing wrong with the Wubbanub?!?! My LO doesn't keep his paci in any longer with the Wubbanub, if anything he keeps it in less. HELP!!! I am sick of picking up a spit out paci.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    photo 5eaaf87b-ad37-4eed-9526-ebc7b28aed0d.jpg photo d035cb36-2bee-4dc9-8bf7-15d34ec258be.jpg
  • I just maneuver it so that it's sitting on her chest or on the side of her body and move the legs to get a little leverage.  Usually put the tip of the pacifier right at her mouth if she's not taking it at that moment and she usually figures it out.  Maybe she doesn't spit it out as aggressively or really wants it...I'm not sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecgr8979:
    MAM...totally recommend this brand. I tried them all and this was by far her favorite and she was able to keep it in her mouth.

ditto! Smile  She loves these! She'll take any kind but this is her favorite. Highly recommended.

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"