Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

One short nap

My son is almost 14 months old and he is only taking one 1-hour nap a day.  It is so frustrating.  He is tired all evening.  I try to get him to take a second nap in the late afternoon, but he won't have it.  He fights it with every ounce of his being.  Any tips?
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: One short nap

• Yep. My 14 month old is taking one nap for 1hr. to 1.5 hrs. a day. It doesn't seem like enough to me, either. Curious about others.
  • Yeah, my 14 month old has been on one nap for 6 months now, but usually seems rested enough. I think she just gets most of the sleep she needs at night (12-13 hrs). We don't put her down for her nap til 1, and she can usually manage from 2-2:30 until bedtime (7pm) reasonably well. At the most, she sleeps for 2 hours, once in a GREAT while more, but usually it's 1-2:30. We do usually leave her in her crib until 3, because from watching her on the video monitor, she's still "resting", although she's moving a lot and sometimes her eyes are open.
  • Loading the player...
  • ch3lsch3ls member
    When is he taking his nap? Have you tired later in the day? We're down to one nap too with DS and we're finding the later in the day that he has his one and only nap and easier it is for him to go to bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He was taking two naps a day but started fighting the afternoon one horribly so I have been trying for one nap a day.  I put him off as much as I can in the morning and he usually goes down at 12.  I don't know why he is taking such a short nap; maybe the transition?  He normally sleeps from 8 PM to 7:15 or so.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ch3lsch3ls member

imageSophiebelle84:
    He was taking two naps a day but started fighting the afternoon one horribly so I have been trying for one nap a day.  I put him off as much as I can in the morning and he usually goes down at 12.  I don't know why he is taking such a short nap; maybe the transition?  He normally sleeps from 8 PM to 7:15 or so.

It cold work, I started DS on just one nap a day when I was noticing that he was cranky with the two naps, now he naps after his lunch. Sometimes, he'll sleep for 2 to 3 hours. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • During the transition you will generally have to put down earlier at night to compensate for the lost day sleep. Actually anything over an hour is considered a good nap. A good rule of thumb is to put him down about 4.5 hrs after he wakes for the day and then slowly increase the time till you hit your stride (around noon or 1pm nap). Once the one nap is established it will slowly lengthen. I would suggest shooting for about 13.5 hrs of total sleep for the day....
  • That's tough.  DD is 14 months and takes one nap for about 2hrs.  Sometimes it's shorter like 1-1/2 hrs and sometimes it's as long as 3 hours.  I have no tips on making them nap if they won't :-/ Sorry
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"