Success after IF

High calorie foods and ideas to fatten up my baby?

Daniel is on the small side (so are his Dad and I) and our ped is watching his weight.  He hasn't lost, but he is slow to gain.  She feels that he is fine, but if he's still low next month she is going to order some bloodwork just to be sure.  Naturally, I don't want them to have to draw blood.  I BF and asked outright if I should supplement with formula - happily she doesn't want that.  Instead she thinks it's best if we try to get his weight up with solids.

He's loving purees - lots of different fruits and many vegetables.  I usually make his food but I also bought some jars to try him with meat.  Last night he loved a turkey/potatoe puree.  So I think the meat will help.  And we can start yogurt so I can mix that with fruit puree.  I'm going to get some pastina too.  Any other ideas that might plump him up just a bit?  He is getting 3 meals a day now.  I'm going to start him on bits of regular food but right now he doesn't really like the texture.  I just gave him some ground beef and he seemed to really like the taste but gagged swallowing it.  So I will stick with pureeing things and slowly introduce table foods.

Thanks for any help.  I'm not worried, but I am if you know what I mean. :(

ETA: I also give him cereal in the morning with his fruit.  I am going to up the amounts slowly to be sure he's getting all he can.

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: High calorie foods and ideas to fatten up my baby?

• Can you try cheeses? Maybe things like cream or cottage cheese? I tried pintos and cheese (like refried beans) with DD this weekend and she seemed to like that. She ate about 1-2 oz.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CBLCBL member
    Cheese, avacado, butter on toast or in food, high fat yogurts.  DS was on 6% yogurt for a long time.  We could only get it plain, but would mix it with fruit puree. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in the same spot a few months ago. How many meals are you doing a day now? D was slow on solids, but we increased the solids from 2 feedings to 3 and that did the trick, he went back on track to normal weight gain. I also stuck to meals I knew he liked rather then experimenting. ( my pedi ran the bloodwork any way, but maybe your pedi will be better)
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • imagesliz:
    Can you try cheeses? Maybe things like cream or cottage cheese? I tried pintos and cheese (like refried beans) with DD this weekend and she seemed to like that. She ate about 1-2 oz.

That could be good.  He might not like the texture of the cottage cheese but I could make it smoother or mix it with something.  Beans are a great idea, too.  Do you mash them up?

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCBL:
    Cheese, avacado, butter on toast or in food, high fat yogurts.  DS was on 6% yogurt for a long time.  We could only get it plain, but would mix it with fruit puree. 

What is 6% yogurt?  I'm so used to buying lowfat I didn't know that existed!  Is it greek yogurt?  Avocado is the one thing he hasn't like so far but I'll try mix it with something else.  And I will add some butter too.  He didn't like white potatoes so now that I can use butter and milk I will try again. He took a little bite of my toast the other day but spit it out. lol.  I wish I had this problem.

• imagekrissyh21:
    I was in the same spot a few months ago. How many meals are you doing a day now? D was slow on solids, but we increased the solids from 2 feedings to 3 and that did the trick, he went back on track to normal weight gain. I also stuck to meals I knew he liked rather then experimenting. ( my pedi ran the bloodwork any way, but maybe your pedi will be better)

We were doing 2 and last month she said to try and get him to do 3.  In the last few days he's really been "into" the 3 meals!  Until then he really didn't want more than 2.  He's also been looking for a little more when he finishes (thank heaven for bananas - a real "fastfood" lol). So maybe we'll be turning the corner now.  Was everything ok with D's bloodwork?  The ped's been watching this for a couple of months now so I think we can avoid it totally if he gains a little better.  We're only going next month for a weight/height check so I think if she was going to do it no matter what she would have ordered it this month.  

• I mashed the beans with a fork, heated them in the microwave with moterrey jack cheese and a few drops of taco sauce for flavor. I added a little water to thin them but your might like them thicker.
  • imagesliz:
    I mashed the beans with a fork, heated them in the microwave with moterrey jack cheese and a few drops of taco sauce for flavor. I added a little water to thin them but your might like them thicker.

I think we'll be splitting this meal!

• imageDochas:

imagesliz:
    I mashed the beans with a fork, heated them in the microwave with moterrey jack cheese and a few drops of taco sauce for flavor. I added a little water to thin them but your might like them thicker.

I think we'll be splitting this meal!

LOL. We did too - I portioned hers out, then doped ours up with more spicy taco sauce and cheese. We eat it with tortilla chips (like a dip), tomatoes, mild jalepenos, sour cream and cheese quesadillas. It's like a 10 minute dinner and not too unhealthy.

• I think you should post this on kellymom too to get other breastfeeding moms' opinions.

Fruits and veggies aren't going to up his weight BUT - they are TOTALLY FINE to be all you are feeding him now.  A lot of people don't even start solids at all until 6 months old - you're only a little bit beyond that.  But more than any solids you give him - your breastmilk is the fattiest thing he's going to get - way fattier and more important than upping his solids right now. 

I think everything you are doing is fine.  I don't think you need to do any more or try to rush him into foods he's not ready for.  If anything - I'd say see if you can get him to nurse one extra time each day - or nurse a bit longer at each session throughout the day.  The longer he nurses - the fattier the milk he's getting.

In general though, trying to trick a baby into eating more is never a good idea.  They are perfect at regulating their own food intake - and letting them lead the way is always the best idea.  So while it's great to offer more food or bigger portions - when he's done - let him be done.  Unless his weight really falls off (and I'm not getting a sense that's the case) - I think you guys are fine.  

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• imageLucyPevensie:

I think you should post this on kellymom too to get other breastfeeding moms' opinions.

Fruits and veggies aren't going to up his weight BUT - they are TOTALLY FINE to be all you are feeding him now.  A lot of people don't even start solids at all until 6 months old - you're only a little bit beyond that.  But more than any solids you give him - your breastmilk is the fattiest thing he's going to get - way fattier and more important than upping his solids right now. 

I think everything you are doing is fine.  I don't think you need to do any more or try to rush him into foods he's not ready for.  If anything - I'd say see if you can get him to nurse one extra time each day - or nurse a bit longer at each session throughout the day.  The longer he nurses - the fattier the milk he's getting.

In general though, trying to trick a baby into eating more is never a good idea.  They are perfect at regulating their own food intake - and letting them lead the way is always the best idea.  So while it's great to offer more food or bigger portions - when he's done - let him be done.  Unless his weight really falls off (and I'm not getting a sense that's the case) - I think you guys are fine.  

Thanks!  We've done all we can as far as the breastfeeding goes.  There's no way to make him stay on there when he's "finished"!  We're definitely not forcing him into anything.  Just looking to add higher calorie foods to the good fruits and veggies he's getting. He loves eating "real" food.  I want to prevent a blood draw and if yogurt and cheese can help, then he'll be sampling those often.

• I browned some ground beef and onions to make our dinner last night and let Daniel try some.  He loved the taste but couldn't stand the texture.  He'd suck on the little bits and then let them fall out of his mouth.  It was funny.  So he's definitely not ready for finger food yet. lol.  The ped said to try him with little bits here and there.  I pureed some of the beef with carrots and he LOVED it. So we have a little meat eater now!
  • Nice!!  Go Daniel!! :)  He'll be stealing food off your plate in no time!  Stick out tongue
  • I just got back from the Doctor today, and as usual, next month we go back for a weight check.  He is 15lbs 8oz at 11 months.  We (Mom and Dad) were both tiny kids.  I know what you mean about the quote, unquote worry.  You look at your healthy, healthy eating small child and can't seem to understand. 

I breastfed until he was 6 months, but could no longer bear the mental anguish and the urging of my pediatrician to put him on formula.  I wish I hadn't stopped, but what's done is done.

Tomorrow, we are going to hit the grocery store and I am going to try pediasure, avocados, whole milk yogurt and any carbs he may eat.  I don't want to give him pure junk, as some suggest for low weight infants and toddlers.  My doctor did tell me to cut way back on the foods.  She only wants me to give him foods twice a day and really push the concentrated formula until he's drinking between 24-30oz a day.  Her point being that this is where he will get the most calories.  Good Luck to you and me too, I know it's rough. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"