Babies: 9 - 12 Months

scared to give food...anyone else?

Myla is 9 months right now and we are behind 1 month on appts. because the pedi wasn't able to make her appt one month so we had to wait to get in. Well anyways when we go in for her "9 month" appt she will be 10 months and I noticed a lot of you were saying that you got the okay to give finger foods such as cherrios ect. at your 9 month appt.

Well she only has 2 bottom teeth and her top 2 are finally poking through. I haven't attempted to give finger foods like these because she has no teeth! Is there anyone else holding off because of this issue? I'm scared she will choke if I try any foods like this. Are you waiting then? Please help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: scared to give food...anyone else?

• try mum mums or puffs first.  They seriously melt in your mouth... no teeth needed.  You can also give banana, baked apples, peas, soft green beans and broccoli.  No teeth needed, just strong gums.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We started with easily dissolved puffs when he only had two bottom teeth. We moved up to cheerios and soft foods once he was doing fine with that. It really was no  problem, his gums did  a great job at mashing up food. Give it a try, if she struggles to swallow something her gag reflex should make her cough and give you time to sweep anything out.

ETA: We started solids at 6 months and practically passed right over purees because of  his ability to mush food with his gums. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • one, stop paying attention to what other lo's eat on this board :)

two, yes i was petrified to give dd real food. she is now 10 1/2 months and only really eats puffs, cheerios, pastas and soft veggies. it took A LOT of effort to get to this point as she gagged to the point of vomiting on anything and everything but now she seems to do pretty well with most new things i give her. i still watch her like a hawk and freak anytime she gags or coughs, but it's part of their learning process and i've had to accept that she will eat real foods when she is good and ready. gl!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was scared to give my son finger foods at first too because of choking. There were a few times when food got stuck on the back of tongue and made him gag, but when that happens they just throw up a little which dislodges the stuck food. It's not actual choking, but can be scary for you. But your little one will get used to it quickly. 

Just start with puffs because they melt in the mouth and once she's used to that you can do cheerios and bits of bread. Bits of fruit are great too -- banana bits were our first success. My son also really likes bits of grape and blueberry (I'd peel the skin off until she's more used to textures). As long as you cut them up pretty small at first (size of a pea or so) even if she swallows them without gumming, they'll go right down. Also ripe avocado bits are great because they are so soft.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • no, you are not the only one! I was going to post something similar until I read yours. My LO has 6 teeth and I still worry. I also worry about the sodium levels in table food, even though I am on WW and the sodium seems to be lower. I guess I just don't know what to start him with and how much. 
  • DD has no teeth and only eats table food. I was scared too, but she refused to take anything from a spoon at 9 months, so I didn't really have a choice. She hasn't had any problems eating anything. She is really good at gumming everything before she swallows it. Start with something soft and work your way up. DD eats everything from puffs, toast, jelly sandwhich, pasta, veggies,taco's, etc- whatever we are having for dinner she does as well, i just cut it up. It will take time but you will eventually get over the fear!

GL :)

dd #1 5/2010 dd #2 5/2012 dd #3 due 11/2013

• No, not scared at all. DS will eat most table foods without issue. He has no teeth and has been offered table foods since 6 months. He can eat whole bananas, whole stone fruit skin and all (obviously I remove the stone!), veggies, crackers, cheerios, soft stewed meat and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm not going to let my concerns get in the way of him developing at the rate he is capable of. Saying that though, I'm not pushing him. He still doesn't crawl so obviously each baby develops their abilities at their own rate. DS is great at growing and eating, not so much at the physical milestones and that's okay. Other babies his age will be crawling up a storm but maybe not so great at eating or they might not have grown as much as him.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • We went straight to table foods at 6 months when we started solids, and DD has had no trouble with them. She only has two bottom teeth but she gums everything.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Thank you for this post. I literally started this same post yesterday but stopped because I didn't want everyone to think I was a bad mom because I'm scared SO scared of finger foods! But I'm taking the advise and I'm going to get my LO started. Thanks.
  • imageRuby_Soho:

No, not scared at all. DS will eat most table foods without issue. He has no teeth and has been offered table foods since 6 months. He can eat whole bananas, whole stone fruit skin and all (obviously I remove the stone!), veggies, crackers, cheerios, soft stewed meat and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm not going to let my concerns get in the way of him developing at the rate he is capable of. Saying that though, I'm not pushing him. He still doesn't crawl so obviously each baby develops their abilities at their own rate. DS is great at growing and eating, not so much at the physical milestones and that's okay. Other babies his age will be crawling up a storm but maybe not so great at eating or they might not have grown as much as him.

This, exactly.  Don't held back...this is probably why many people have such picks eaters as toddlers.

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• They don't get molars for quite a while so if you're waiting for those "chewing" teeth, you'll be waiting a while :-p  But seriously, like other people mentioned, start with things that dissolve easily and then move to easily smooshed food like steamed fruits and veggies.  I was scared too but it's not really that scary once you get going with it :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• i wouldn't risk it right now.  Yobaby yogurt is great to start off with your  baby.
  • I started giving puffs around 6/7 months, he got his first tooth at 7months. Just make sure things are really soft at this point and if LO chokes dig it out and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"