Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If your LO is in a home daycare.......

I'm curious.  Other than saving money what was your reason for using them over a center?

I'm not bashing here.  I'm curious..... We use a center and my good friend said she uses the in home daycare because she'd never spend as much as I do on daycare!  Indifferent  I thought it was supposed to be about being comfortable with you you're leaving your kid with.  Lol! 

I figure there's just got to be another reason that money?

Re: If your LO is in a home daycare.......

• Germs, number of children, convenience in location and scheduling.  I leave DS with a stay at home mom that is less than a quarter mile down the road from where I work (can see her house from my office window).  She home schools her own children and they all love DS like he was their own.  Plus I only need him at daycare two days one week and three days the next so I only have to pay for the time he's there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had DD in a center for the first 3 months or so that I was back at work but I always had a bad feeling about the place.  Plus, they would call me at least once or twice a month to tell me she had fever, vomit, diarrhea, and I would have to take her home and when we got home she never had anything..so I felt like they were just getting rid of her for 2 days, you know?  So, I found an in home provider who I immediately liked and plus, she is a friend of a friend, so that helped.  Basically, I don't ever feel like I have to worry about her, any throughout the day and that gives me peace at work.  When she was in the center I worried about her constantly and was always wondering if they were paying attention to her, or if she was just sitting in teh crib where I left her, if she was eating, etc.  Now, I don't even have to give it a second thought.  She runs right to D and hugs her and gets her breakfast and then when I pick her up she runs right to me, ready to go home.  It works for us! (Now, I had a bad experience with that center, but I am not by any means saying all centers are bad!) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Around here in home daycare is not much cheaper than daycare centers.  My mom did in home daycare while I was growing up and I liked the atmosphere of less kids in one setting.  It was not necessarily the deciding factor for going to an in-home daycare.  We were having trouble finding any kind of daycare that would take a newborn.  Most daycare centers had a minimum age of 1 year around here or their infants spots were already full.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• For some centers, not all, there is too much teacher turnover.  I like having him in an in home environment, only 6 other kids there and she prepares home cooked meals for them daily.  Next year I plan to put LO in preschool, so things will change, but for now, I like at in home dc.
  • My mom runs an in home...that's the reason we picked it Smile
  • I use a SAHM sitter who watches her 2 kids plus my 1 child. So he gets a lot of attention. And she is less than half what a center would charge for part time daily rate...The centers wanted $70-90/day here for part time.
  • I love our in home daycare.  She has been around a lot longer than the centers near us.  The convenience to home and work helps.  And they have a schedule they follow for learning and playing.  The owner has a staff of about 8 women and the girls love them.  And I feel like they get more personalized attention there than they would at a center.
  • I have nothing against centers and could see us using one in the future.  My biggest reason for sending DD to a liscensed in-home DC was that I wanted her to get a home atmosphere, with the same DCP, be able to build a close and comfortable relationship with one adult (vs the possibility of several at a center) who I trusted.  For us it had to be the RIGHT DCP if we were doing in-home.  I wouldn't just send her to anybody.  But as a baby I wanted her to get one-on-one attention from a DCP and then when she's older I'm okay with centerbased DC b/c she'll be more independent.

I guess more specifically for me, too, I wanted to build a close relationship with ONE adult(DCP) and know her views, rules, and how her kids acted (since I believe the DCP is essentially "raising" DD while I'm not there).  With changing staff at a center I worried about not having time to get to know each of the adults.  It was a comfort level for me.  But having said this, i should also say that I have ZERO experience with centers, so everything I'm saying is a guess of what I would expect from a center. 

Another reason is b/c at DD's age I didn't see an advantage to a center over an in-home.  If there is one, I just don't know it yet.

I love the stuff our in-home DCP does for/with DD.  She really works with the kids, teaches them things, and LOVES doing DC.  If she didn't have such a passion for the kids and teaching then I wouldn't see her as much of an asset as I do. 

But honestly price was an issue, too.  If I saw a big difference in centers vs in-home and wanted a center over an in-home provider then I'd make sacrifices to afford the center.  But at this point, like I said before, I didn't see an advantage to a center so it wouldn't be necessary for us to make financial sacrifices for something we didn't think we needed.

But I think every mom/family needs to find the best fit for their family and their needs.  So what's good for my family is not necesarily what works for everyone else and vice versa.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For  us it had nothing to do with money (if it's cheaper it's not by much), it had to to with our comfort level with who was watching DS. I feel that he is getting much more personalized attention with an in home care provider than he would at a center. I am in no way whatsoever ever concerned about his well being or whether or not he's being played with or given the attention he needs. Plus, for us it was a no brainer b/c 6 our our nieces have gone to her with 2 still attending full time and one part time so for DS to be with his cousins is an added bonus.  I think it all has to do with your situation and what you are most comfortable with.

I do have to add that a co-worker of mine uses a center and while that works best for her she does regret that her DD doesn't feel attached to any of the care providers the way that she would if she were in an in home situation. I like the fact that there is consistency with an in home provider but again, that's what works for me.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • The 1-2 YEAR waiting lists around here were the deal breakers for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • purely financial reasons, we simply CANNOT afford what a center charges.

also, i like the fact that if i wanted to, i can call anytime or stop by anytime to see how dd is doing. most of the centers i contacted did NOT do that as 1- it disrupts THEIR schedule and 2- it upsets other kids.  i'm sorry but my desire to check in on my kid unannounced trumps your schedule.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I have done both. I started at a private (expensive) school b/c I thought that's what would be "the best" for her.

I now have her in a home daycare b/c I work part time and with the type of schedule I have no center's would work with me. I found not only a home daycare that I LOVE but I feel that she is getting more 1 on 1 care than the center. There are only 5 kids there, she has not been sick as much and it's more of a Nanny feel than the big schools where they often have a sub or someone leaving here and there. Then they change classrooms and there is always a transition period that is tough. 

• imageslmcronelaw:
    I had DD in a center for the first 3 months or so that I was back at work but I always had a bad feeling about the place.  Plus, they would call me at least once or twice a month to tell me she had fever, vomit, diarrhea, and I would have to take her home and when we got home she never had anything..so I felt like they were just getting rid of her for 2 days, you know?  So, I found an in home provider who I immediately liked and plus, she is a friend of a friend, so that helped.  Basically, I don't ever feel like I have to worry about her, any throughout the day and that gives me peace at work.  When she was in the center I worried about her constantly and was always wondering if they were paying attention to her, or if she was just sitting in teh crib where I left her, if she was eating, etc.  Now, I don't even have to give it a second thought.  She runs right to D and hugs her and gets her breakfast and then when I pick her up she runs right to me, ready to go home.  It works for us! (Now, I had a bad experience with that center, but I am not by any means saying all centers are bad!) 

THIS THIS THIS! 

I was totally against in-home until all of this same stuff happened to us.  Max will probably go back to a center for preschool but I will never send an infant to a center again.  I have nothing against them in general and certainly don't judge but I had such a sour experience myself that I know they don't work for me and the way I am.

• Money played a factor but my DH knew the lady through a man he works with. She generally has a waiting list but bumped us up b/c she knew my DH. She acme highly reccommended. I thank god everyday he led us to her b/c she is so wonderful and I just could not imagine returning to work and leaving LO in the care of anyone else.

I think there are pros and cons to both. Everyone says germs and getting sick is a con of daycare but my LO still gets germs form the kids at her sitter and still gets sick.

Your friend probably did not solely leave her LO in the care of someone because they were cheap. I am sure if she felt it was not a good place for her LO than she would nto have chosen the place. She was probably just making the comment that she could not imagine paying as much as you.

• We started out with an In home provider because we were very nervous about the germ exposure because of ds's diagnosis. We are switching to a center next week because he is really bored there and they watch TV all day.

I like that he is going to a 'school' where he will learn and have a lot of new activities to stimulate him instead of being bored and watching tv all day. I'm sure that our in home provider was the exception, but there aren't a lot of options around so we are going with a center.

• imagesunandsand:
    I use a SAHM sitter who watches her 2 kids plus my 1 child. So he gets a lot of attention. And she is less than half what a center would charge for part time daily rate...The centers wanted $70-90/day here for part time.

Hey :) I'm originally from OP!  Wow part time must be more expensive.

• imageizziebee:

For  us it had nothing to do with money (if it's cheaper it's not by much), it had to to with our comfort level with who was watching DS. I feel that he is getting much more personalized attention with an in home care provider than he would at a center. I am in no way whatsoever ever concerned about his well being or whether or not he's being played with or given the attention he needs. Plus, for us it was a no brainer b/c 6 our our nieces have gone to her with 2 still attending full time and one part time so for DS to be with his cousins is an added bonus.  I think it all has to do with your situation and what you are most comfortable with.

I do have to add that a co-worker of mine uses a center and while that works best for her she does regret that her DD doesn't feel attached to any of the care providers the way that she would if she were in an in home situation. I like the fact that there is consistency with an in home provider but again, that's what works for me.

My DD is attached to her teacher.  Interesting....... I guess we're REALLY lucky.

• imagepink.dutch.tulips:

purely financial reasons, we simply CANNOT afford what a center charges.

also, i like the fact that if i wanted to, i can call anytime or stop by anytime to see how dd is doing. most of the centers i contacted did NOT do that as 1- it disrupts THEIR schedule and 2- it upsets other kids.  i'm sorry but my desire to check in on my kid unannounced trumps your schedule.

True.  Sorry that they were like that out there.  What jerks!

• Initially the main reason we went with in home vs. center is we only needed daycare 3 days/week and none of the centers around us offered part time care for infants.  Our friend/neighbor is a SAHM and her kids are in school most of the day so she was thrilled when we asked her if she wanted to watch DD.  Leaving DD and going back to work was still incredibly hard but I felt more comfortable leaving her with someone I knew and trusted.  Plus since she is the only child there, I know she gets as much one-on-one attention as she would if I were home with her. 

Had our neighbor situation not worked out, I still would have looked for other in-home providers for the same reasons others mentioned.  I think centers are great for older kids but I prefer the nurturing environment of a home over a school-like setting for an infant.

2nd Birthday picture - Precious Poses Photography

Maren-2

Married 9-25-2004; Momma 12-14-2009

my read shelf:
    Katie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The location was better, fewer kids, and she was very good about holding him to sleep when he was a baby he wouldn't nap unless he was held and she held him everyday, while he slept.  I also found it easier to drop him off early/late and not have a set time sinc emy schedual is goofy.  I save about $10 a month so it's not about the money.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• My in home daycare is as expensive as a center. Money is not the reason we opted for an in home. Both our boys were with the same ladies (2) from the time I went back to work until 15 months. The ladies we use are mother and daughter the mother has been keeping babies for 27 years. They only keep babies to 15 months. DS2 will be moving to a center next month.

I feel like the small home enviorment is quiter more intimate than a center enviorment. DS is with the same ladies all day everyday. It is not as caotic as a center is, less staff turn over, they KNOW my baby and me and it is just different. Both my boys went to a center next so I am not anti center just for those infant months it was my choice.

• Ours was flexibility of hours as well as the individual attention he receives.  DS goes to daycare from 2-5:15pm and most DC centerswould not even consider such a schedule or wanted to charge full time pricing because he is there every day.  There are only 6 kids in her home with an assistant that is her close friend.   She is certified and has a teaching degree, so teaches preschool to the children of preschool age for part of the day.   We also just loved her the minute we met her.  Our son enjoys going and gets some social time with other kids, but not too many kids that he is overwhelmed. 
  • I use in home daycare only because I leave DD with my SIL's mom so I trust her completely.  Otherwise DD would be in a center just because I wouldn't feel comfortable with in home daycare.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I went with where I felt most comfortable and it was an inhome daycare. Now as she gets older though I'm considering a center to get more of a preschool setting.

• Convenience in location ( right down street from work) and also that my cousins son goes there. He also only goes 3 days a week.

• I adore the home cooked meals, less kids and location. Plus it's cheaper than a center.
  • Well my friend of mine is the one with the daycare in her home. Our DD's are 3 days apart and are totally BFF's- so I trust her. It is more affordable and she can only have a limited number of kids she watches. This means she can interact better 1:1 with each child through out the day too. 

Germs are also another big deal. I have friends whose kids are larger centers/churches and their kids are always sick. This girl is nuts about keeping things clean and sterilized and making sure the kids are doing the same- esp since it's her own home and her own DD is in the mix.

• I use a home day care as well. And honestly, it's just personal preference. I wanted my LO to be treated as if he were part of her family and to receive the same amount of attention he would if he were at home. It amazes me how my provider even does it - she has 3 children under 2! And yet, all are happy, well-adjusted and well-cared for each and every day. I am very happy with my decision to use her and JC is very happy there. Day care is costly no matter who you use - it's all about your comfort level and preference. As he gets older, I may switch him to a center but because he's still an infant/toddler (just turned 1), I feel better with him in a home center.
  • I'm not sure if they are any cheaper.. but I chose a home daycare because it feels more homely. THey get home cooked meals, the place is always clean, the ladies are happy (they are at home), there are 9 kids and 2 ladies and the house has its own dedicated area. Once it gets warm outside they will start going outside.
    Mommy to two beautiful girls: Olivia 3yrs and Ava 1 months. I am Blessed!
  • We have an in-home provider (who watches 4 kids ages 5 months to 3 years).  I love knowing who exactly is watching DD every day.  A lot of centers have big turn over rates and they don't notify you if a teacher leaves.  Also, I like the fact that if DD is tired or not feeling great, she can laze around on the couch and have some quiet time if she needs to.  DH or I drop Julia off in the morning in her pj's and she hangs out that way until after breakfast when the sitter dresses her.  

Our DCP loves my daughter and I feel she is in great care when we're at work. I feel she has the best interest of my child and the others there in mind.  Just last week, I picked up DD and a few of the kids she usually watches weren't there.  She had said she asked them to find a new sitter since she had many discipline problems with them and it wasn't good for the other kids (or her).  I also like there isn't much of a "schedule".  I mean DD goes down for nap right after lunch, but there's mostly free play (which I think is totally appropriate for my 21 month old).  On days where there are only 2 kids, DCP takes the kids to the mall or park or McDonalds.  I just feel she gets a lot of individualized attention and love, but she's still getting interaction with other kids.

It's so cute when DD wakes up in the morning super excited to go to "Gigi's house".

• I don't have a kid in DC so take this with a grain of salt but...assuming they are choosing a licensed home daycare where the kids are being well taken care of I don't see why it matters that the deciding factor was price.

I highly doubt anyone walks into a home daycare that is sub-par and sends their kids there anyway just because it's cheaper.

• imageQue_Syrah:

I don't have a kid in DC so take this with a grain of salt but...assuming they are choosing a licensed home daycare where the kids are being well taken care of I don't see why it matters that the deciding factor was price.

I highly doubt anyone walks into a home daycare that is sub-par and sends their kids there anyway just because it's cheaper.

I think we were supposed to be impressed that she laid out the big bucks while her friend didn't love her child enough.

Where I live in home daycares are more expensive so it's a moot point.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"