Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Anyone waiting on solids?

So, is anyone waiting past 6 months for solids? I went to a First Foods Nutrition class this evening and the nutritionist that taught the class said it is totally fine to wait until 7-8 months because that's when they really start to digest properly. I had never heard this, I always heard between 4-6. Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone waiting on solids?

• My pedi suggestion between 6 to 6.5 months to start. So we are going to start between 6 to 6.5 months! I have never heard 7-8 months but on the other hand it is not like they need the food for the nutrition that comes from the BM or formula so I can see where 7 -8 months would be ok. My pedi said that eating at this stage is just for human interaction so I once again not sure it could really hurt the baby!  
  • KT05KT05 member
    I am waiting til at least 6 months. Babies only really need BM or formula the first year and like pp said everything else is just practice. I also never heard of the 7-8 month thing but IMO people get a little excited to feed their babies solids and start too early.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm definitely waiting unless DS shows strong interest in starting earlier.  So, so many adults I used to work with (customer-wise) before I became a SAHM had chronic digestive issues.  So much of your immune system is in your intestine, as well.

Check these sites out, I found them to be really informative:

https://www.earthyfamily.com/A-babyFoods.htm

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD shows no interest in food so I'm waiting until 6 months.  I had to have the pedi write a note to daycare so they wouldn't start solids because it is on the state-mandated food plan for all licensed daycares to start infants on solids at 4 months.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • Took a baby food nutrition class.  She was in line with the AAP and WHO in waiting at least 6mos to ensure digestive track etc is mature..  We have chosen to start at 6mos.  Till then, I am happy to EBF.
  • Our pedi told us not to start solids until 6 months due to LO's milk protein and possible soy protein intolerance.  Also LO shows no interest in food at this point.
  • We started introducing some at 4 months (pedi's recommendation) but LO wasn't very interested so we're waiting til 6 months & seeing howit goes then.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were planning on waiting until 6 months, but my DS was NOT into waiting!  He watched us eat all the time.  A week after his 4 month birthday, the pedi said it was okay to try the rice cereal and if he took to it then good, if not then wait a while to try again.  He absolutely loved it!!  He's still getting majority of his calories from breastfeeding and we haven't started any purees yet.  We are going to wait until 6 months to start those.  If he wasn't so interested in food then we were definitely going to wait...It's all up to the baby though.  Some want it sooner than others.
  • Yup, pedi suggested  waiting until 6 months (we EBF) and because I am also lazy - I was all for it.

Re: a PP, I find it rather surprising that a daycare would automatically start solids and need a 'release' from the parent and doctor to do otherwise because the state says a kid needs solids. Who's in charge here- the daycare or the parent? Our daycare does not do anything until we tell them to.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• We'll probably wait.  I don't see any reason to push her so we'll evaluate her readiness as we go. Right now she still has a tongue thrust, so no doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"