2nd Trimester
Options

Has anyone else gained way too much weight?

I'm kind of ashamed to say it but I've gained a ton, and I guess I was in denial about it until today. At my 18 week appointment today I got weighed, and so far have gained about 25-30 lbs. Terrible I know. So I asked my midwife if I could safely lose a little weight while pregnant and she said yes. Obviously I wouldn't go on some crazy crash diet but just regular stuff like eating smaller meals more frequently, more veggies, and limiting refined carbs. Oh and exercising. I'll admit that right now I basically don't exercise at all, so I was thinking of starting to go on short hikes on the weekend with DH and maybe hit up the gym for some light cardio. At first losing weight while pg seemed kind of backwards, but I have to trust my midwife, and if it happens gradually and naturally from just being more healthy in general I can't imagine that would be a bad thing. She basically said that if I continue down this path a c-section is likely in my future and I will NOT let that happen if I can help it :(

And here I thought I was doing an ok job of balancing eating healthy with not depriving myself when I had a craving. I guess I gave into the pizza craving one too many times :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone else gained way too much weight?

• Options
    I have too!! I started out small and now I have gained about 25 and I am only 21 weeks!! My doc told me to go on a diet, but I feel soo terrible a diet is difficult!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am 20 weeks and have gained 19 pounds. I feel bad too because I barely exercise. I honestly need to get on track before it gets out of hand because my mom, and two aunts gained 80 pounds with all their pregnancies.. I really dont want to do that. My cut off is 40 pounds.. I need to stop caving into my cravings (damn girl scout cookies) I have a preg friend at work and I need to tell her to get on me if she sees me eating something i shouldnt. I knows its not her responsibility but it will be good to have a friend to keep me accountable. I was also thinking of keeping a food journal. Good luck girl! Its not always easy.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dont know if this is really bad, but my doctor seems to think so... at 12 weeks I was up 8 lbs... havent looked at the scale since my doctor made a rude comment...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    No, but I gain it all in the second half. With DS I put on a total of 32lbs, 30 of which came after 20 weeks. Anyway, I was underweight and my gain was totally healthy - I don't eat processed food and I exercised 3 days a week until mu due date. I do pig out on carbs and I will never cut those. We come from Italy, the Mediterranean diet is based on carbs. I am eating either pasta or bread at each meal. It's not the carbs that make you gain weight, it's whatever you put on them. Good luck in keeping the gain under control.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did with DD ( gained 100lbs, no joke) Took the "you're young, eat whatever you want/it will come right off" etc. comments to close to heart. ( no c section btw, dd was almost 10lbs tho!)Ended up losing about 75 of that before getting pregnant this time around ( thank you wieghtwatchers!) At my last appointment I was up about 24lbs at 22weeks... which isn't great, Im trying to get exercise in when I can( walking around the block,trips to the zoo with DD) and I let myself indulge, but make an effort to get in those fruits&veggies... basically I don't want to gain anywhere near 100lbs with this pregnancy, but I'm not stressing b.c i took the weight off before & know I can do it again, prob would be at my goal weight had I not got KO again...

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• Options
    I am usually a size 6. I went to target to try on maternity jeans. I said, I'll try a size 8 since I know I'm bigger than usual. They fit but were a little snug. Then I looked at the label: They had been put on the wrong hanger and weren't a size 8 but a 12!!! I've gone up 4 pants sizes already! I put them back immediately and I refuse to try on any more pants even if I have to look like a homeless person in sweatpants for the next five months. I'm hoping it was just a sizing fluke but I don't want to find out it was correct!
  • Options
    My doctor put me on a low carb diet at my last appt in February. I am 24 weeks now and have gained about 27 pounds so far. It's really frustrating too bc I exercise (as in kickboxing, weight lifting, etc) a minimum of 4-5 times a week. With my son I gained all my weight in the last 4 months (but I never exercised due to a heavy school load) so I'm really nervous that it's going to happen again. Some people, even with exercise, are going to gain the same amount of weight as they do without exercise. You have to make smart decisions, but even then too much weight gain seems unavoidable unfortunately.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am up 23 pounds at almost 23 weeks... Way more than I wanted to gain, but as long as I end up around or under 40 pounds total, I'm not going to worry too much.

Married my love 10/18/08 | DS born 07/16/11 | MMC 01/16/13 at 11w6d | DD edd 04/27/14

• Options

imageStefaniePace:
    I am 20 weeks and have gained 19 pounds. I feel bad too because I barely exercise. I honestly need to get on track before it gets out of hand because my mom, and two aunts gained 80 pounds with all their pregnancies.. I really dont want to do that. My cut off is 40 pounds.. I need to stop caving into my cravings (damn girl scout cookies) I have a preg friend at work and I need to tell her to get on me if she sees me eating something i shouldnt. I knows its not her responsibility but it will be good to have a friend to keep me accountable. I was also thinking of keeping a food journal. Good luck girl! Its not always easy.

My OB told me that acceptable weight gain is 1 pound per week, so you'd be right on track by that logic. 

• Options
    I am 14 weeks and have gained 10lbs!  I can finally eat and all I want is carbs and fruit... I am going to up the veggies and increase my walking.  Good luck!
  • Options
    It's never too late to reign it in a bit. What I would suggest is measuring your foods. Many many people feel that they're eating a balanced ok diet but they're not realizing the volume of food they are actually eating and they're making poor guesstimations on the quality or health level of the food itself. If you thought you were doing ok, clearly one of those two things is a bit out of whack. All it should take is a revisit to monitoring calories and measuring items so that you can get a better feel on what you're actually ingesting each day.
  • Options

well #1 i gained 49 lbs total.

#2 i gained 51 lbs total (and that was from 28 wks to 39 wks. i was very sick and actually underweight because of a condition we were unaware that i had. so i was on max amt of steroids and hospitalized)

#3- so far only 2 lbs @ 16 wks :)

• Options

I feel the same way.  I'm pg with twins, so I should be gaining a bit more...but I've gone out of control.  The same way you have.  I was eating balanced meals....but after my meal I would eat a big piece of chocolate cake or ice cream.

I've gained 40 lbs at 22w!!!!  Too much, even for a twin pg.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"