Baby Names

SSA Twins Ranking

So I was scrolling through the SSA's list of names for twins born in 2009.  If I'm reading it right, there were 25 sets of g/g twins named Heaven and Nevaeh in 2009.  Reading that made me want to cry just a little bit.  Someone tell me I'm reading it wrong, please.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/twins.html 

photo bazingif2_zps814467e5.gif

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: SSA Twins Ranking

• Sadly, looks like you're reading it right!

ETA: And 15 twin-sets named Paris and London! 

• And 15 sets named London and Paris! Yikes. 

ETA: and including spelling variations...a whopping 34 B/G twins named Jada and Jayden! those are like...the exact same name.  

• Loading the player...
  • aww drag.

Also, there are 13 Jayda and Jayden twin sets out there :x

ooh ooh, and 11 Aidan and Nadia sets.  Same stupid idea, but infinitely better names. 

• imageHannahO28:

And 15 sets named London and Paris! Yikes. 

ETA: and including spelling variations...a whopping 34 B/G twins named Jada and Jayden! those are like...the exact same name.  

Doesn't it just make you cringe?  Also the Ella/Emma twins kill me, I just can't imagine how many times the parents will mix them up.   

• There are SIXTY SEVEN that include two of the following three names: Faith, Hope, Grace. 

Come ON twins' momma's. You're killing me! 

• I cannot believe how many matchy sets there are. Seriously - yuck! (Obviously our twins will not have matchy names!) 
  • imageMrsB*7*21:
    I cannot believe how many matchy sets there are. Seriously - yuck! (Obviously our twins will not have matchy names!) 

your kids will thanks you. I know a pair of twins (in their twenties) named Heather and Heidi. They do EVERYTHING together. They still dress alike and they're roommates...it's totally creepy! 

• Haylee and Kaylee...smh!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHannahO28:

imageMrsB*7*21:
    I cannot believe how many matchy sets there are. Seriously - yuck! (Obviously our twins will not have matchy names!) 

your kids will thanks you. I know a pair of twins (in their twenties) named Heather and Heidi. They do EVERYTHING together. They still dress alike and they're roommates...it's totally creepy! 

I second this!  Matchy twin names drive me crazy.  It's not like they're two sides of one person, each child deserves a name and identity of their own.   

• Can I proudly say that while they are NMS at all, my friend's g/g twins are Berkeley and Parker.  So NOT any part of the terrible twin trend.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • B/G Landon and London...really?

• imageoverture:

aww drag.

ooh ooh, and 11 Aidan and Nadia sets.  Same stupid idea, but infinitely better names. 

At least Aidan and Nadia aren't readily apparent because they're both legit names that aren't created by spelling anything backwards. 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imagemsmerymac:
    imageoverture:

aww drag.

At least Aidan and Nadia aren't readily apparent because they're both legit names that aren't created by spelling anything backwards. 

I have to admit that I have a shameful weakness for non-obvious anagram names.

Alice and Celia

Diana and Nadia

Alida and Dalia

Tanisha and Ashanti

Lorina and Elinor

Hallie and Leilah

Melanie and Emelina (ok, that's a stretch)

Guilty pleasure. I wouldn't do it IRL. Probably.

• Most of the pairs on the list were cringeworthy, mostly because so many are basically the same name... Why would you want your children to have almost identical names?! I don't get that at all. 
  • Names don't neccessarily have to be similar to get mixed up. I get called Kait-Lauryn alot, and my sister gets Laur-Kaitlyn.

Not only that, but a family friend once called her son by her dog's name. Zachary and Chelsea.

But I would never name my kids matchy names

• The majority of those combos are gag worthy
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • That list makes me want to bang my head against a wall.  No wonder people look surprised when my kids' names don't match.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Whats wrong with people? Poor kids
  • imageLoveToTeach25:
    Most of the pairs on the list were cringeworthy, mostly because so many are basically the same name... Why would you want your children to have almost identical names?! I don't get that at all. 

I firmly believe that you shouldn't name twins any differently than you would name a regular sibset. Some people are cool with alliterative names (my brother and I are Matthew and Meredith), which is fine for sibsets or for twins. If you don't like matchy names at all, though, don't do it. And FFS, don't give your kids almost the same name. 

It's kind of like that thread where we were talking about deceptively similar names like Michaela and Michelle or Kathryn and Karen, which are basically the same name.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imageplunderb:

I have to admit that I have a shameful weakness for non-obvious anagram names.

Alice and Celia

Diana and Nadia

Alida and Dalia

Tanisha and Ashanti

Lorina and Elinor

Hallie and Leilah

Melanie and Emelina (ok, that's a stretch)

Guilty pleasure. I wouldn't do it IRL. Probably.

I don't think I would mind something like this as much, because it's not necessarily obvious.  In fact I quite like Alice and Celia.  I don't know that I would use something like it, but I wouldn't side eye someone who did as long as it wasn't smack you in the face obvious.  

• Jayden, Jaylen 38

OMGWTF.

Adriana, Andrea <- it's like the same name. Also Emma/ Emily. Same name. Maybe because my SIL is an Emily who goes by Emmy a lot. 

I also think Jennifer and Jessica were probably the number one g/g twin names in 1982. 

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I feel bad for Jaylen and Jayden and Haylee and Kaylee.

Some of the list wasn't that bad, though.

• yeah a lot of those are awful.  I actually considered Natalie/Nicole if we have girls, but I realized I don't love Nicole and it sounds a little too matchy which I don't really want. 
  • I didn't know there was such a list! The Heaven/Nevaeh combo makes me a little nauseous...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Lol, I was going to name DD2 Hailey, but decided to go with Emily. I would have had a Hannah and a Hailey sibset combo...I still think it's cute.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageHannahO28:

imageMrsB*7*21:

Speaking as half of an identical twin pair, I agree. The first good parenting decision (of many) that my parents made was to give us lovely, stand-alone names. NO matching!!! We are plenty close in our relationship; we don't need matchy names to point out the glaring obviousness of our identical features or to further confuse people when they are trying to get to know us. SHEESH! :) Sorry, rant over! :) Just wanted to cheer you on for not falling into the temptation of matchy twin naming.

Edited: Grammar

• uggh that is awful!!!!
  • Sigh.  A coworker just named her twins Chris and Christine.  The dad's name is Chris.  Double sigh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"