3rd Trimester

Stripping membranes/massaging cervix when not dilated?

Of course I'll ask my MW when I see her tomorrow, but I'm curious now. I got checked at 39 weeks and was not dilated or effaced at all. At 40 weeks my MW started talking about what we'd do at 41 weeks to help things move along (herbs, massasing the cervix). Plus, friends are telling me to get my membranes stripped. I think that massaging the cervix is different from stripping membranes, but I'll talk to my MW about that. What I'm wondering is whether you can get these things done if you're not dilated at all. How can they get a finger in there if it's closed? (I know I may be dilated now, but still wondering).

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stripping membranes/massaging cervix when not dilated?

• They cannot strip your membranes if you are not dilated. My doctors say you have to be about a 2 to have it done. You're right if it is closed they can't get a finger in there. Trust me, if it is closed or even a "fingertip" you DO N OT want them to try to get their finger up there.

ETA: I say "trust me" because with dd#1 my doctor wanted to try to change my finger tip status to more than that by jamming his finger up there. Sent my normally low blood pressure through the roof and then I had to go sit around for an NST for a couple hours because of his efforts at 40 weeks.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Ditto.. my doc stuck a finger into my closed cervix a little too hard and it hurt BAD.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

breastfeeding, cloth diapering, farming mama.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah they can't strip them if you arent dilated... or stretch your cervix out if your not dialted. My dr. wanted to at my last apt but couldnt because I was closed up. He told me I have to be at least 2cm dilated.

• My OB said the same thing as the PPs. She said she wont even do it if you aren't dilated. She said it not only hurts, but that it wont work without some dilation on your own.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Have you tried anything to help soften the cervix up? I have been using epo which completely thinned me and made my cervix very strechy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewendylaine:
    Have you tried anything to help soften the cervix up? I have been using epo which completely thinned me and made my cervix very strechy.

What is EPO?

Last pregnancy my doctor said my cervix was really stretchy too, but I only took my prenatals and my DHA. I started pushing when I was at a 9 and not a 10 because of how stretchy it was. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:

imagewendylaine:
    Have you tried anything to help soften the cervix up? I have been using epo which completely thinned me and made my cervix very strechy.

What is EPO?

Last pregnancy my doctor said my cervix was really stretchy too, but I only took my prenatals and my DHA. I started pushing when I was at a 9 and not a 10 because of how stretchy it was. 

EPO is evening primrose oil. It is a precursor (term?) to prostaglandins. I have been taking it and my cervix is soft, but the baby is high so there isn't much pressure on it to open it up. I have been walking and doing lunges and squats and all that jazz. Hopefully there has been some progress and she can do something tomorrow!

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imageRayRay007:
    EPO is evening primrose oil. It is a precursor (term?) to prostaglandins. I have been taking it and my cervix is soft, but the baby is high so there isn't much pressure on it to open it up. I have been walking and doing lunges and squats and all that jazz. Hopefully there has been some progress and she can do something tomorrow!

Duh. I have a feeling it would be too late for me to start that now and hope it does anything. I know that LO is low at least. My doctor said she's locked and loaded down there. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"