Working Moms

need advice: I am quitting

I'm going to quit my (god-awful, horrible, $hitty) job.  The thing is, I'm not sure when to do it.  I announced that I was pregnant when I was ~14 weeks or so.  My boss just said "tell your husband thanks a lot".  seriously.  thanks a-hole.  He can be a real prick most of the time.  However, sometimes he's not. It's like Jekyll and Hyde.  Anyway, I was going to stick it out til the end of july  (due date is 8-18) but things have gotten way worse overall for me at work so we decided that i could quit in May instead so I could enjoy the summer.  (My eventual plan is to look for a new job 6 mos post partum).  My boss seems to already anticipate that I'll be quitting and has said to me TWICE that he'd appreicate it if I gave him advanced notice that I'd be quitting so he'd have time to find a replacement.  Ok fine.  Here's the kicker.  Our busiest time is in June.  We have a huge tradeshow that I'm in charge of in mid June.  It requires me to leave on a Friday, work all weekend and come back on Wed.  No comp time.  This tradeshow means that I'm on my feet all day (7 hrs) with no breaks besides bathroom.  For food, I usually just bring protein bars and gobble them up when I go to the bathroom.  I hate it and I'd love to miss it.  But admittedly, I feel guilt- mainly for my coworkers- for bailing so close to theshow.

My question is two-fold:

a) how much time should I/ would you give?

b) is it awful to quit in May or should I suck it up and wait til the tradeshow is over?

thanks

Re: need advice: I am quitting

• I would give 4 weeks notice and still quit as planned in May.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAmymichelle925:
    I would give 4 weeks notice and still quit as planned in May.
    This
  • Loading the player...
  • 2 days after you are done working your guilt will go away.... you will feel awesome that you don't have the stress anymore and can focus on your pregnancy, baby, etc.

give 2-4 weeks notice, like anyone else would do - and leave before the trade show for sure.

I'm in sales and felt guilt for being out on maternity leave so long with the twins (i was taken out at 27w)... but about 3 days into my leave the guilt was gone - b/c my focus changed and i knew that my babies were more important than any job.

• Crappy job and unappreciative boss.....2 weeks is plenty!

Enjoy your time off girl! I did...I was taken out of work at 6 months prego because of swelling in my feet but once I wasn't working, I felt much better! I didn't have to stand on my feet 8 hours a day!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAmymichelle925:

I agree with this, since it will give him ample time to find a replacement and you to train them.  I take it you are already on your husband's health insurance? 

• imagelittlemermaid:

imageAmymichelle925:

I agree with this, since it will give him ample time to find a replacement and you to train them.  I take it you are already on your husband's health insurance? 

I am on my husband's (much much better) health insurance.
    Thanks for all the advice- that i obviously wanted to hear Wink

• Also, if you do start feeling bad for your co-workers just imagine the evil boss doing all your work and maybe you'll feel better. That's what I do when I take a day off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • agreed!!
  • I say give 2 weeks notice so that you can tell any future employer that you did that out of respect to your current employer even though he sounds like a real gem! I was planning on working until 38 weeks but was taken off at 33 weeks with pre-term labor. Even though I love my job it took about 3 days to realize what a total gift it is to get to have some time before baby arrives! Good luck!
  • I would give two weeks.  If you give more than that, they can fire you on the spot and tell you not to come back, which means your out money you planned to have.  It sucks, but if you were quitting for another job, that is what you would do.  You never know how your situation can change, so I would hold out until the end. 
  • depends on what your contract states... I'd say 2-4 wks.  I have to give 4 wks to receive my banked vacay pay.   check with HR.
  • Depends on if you're leaving disability/ maternity pay on the table or not...if you're looking at 6 weeks of paid leave I would suck it up (but my husband is also a SAHD)...if you're looking at taking unpaid maternity leave I'd give no more than 4 weeks notice...2 is sort of short, 4 was an eternity (for me at least) but by the end of the day I know that I could go back begging for a job if S*** hit the proverbial fan...

One thing to keep in mind when leaving an employer is that no matter how much you hate your boss or job- this person may be your best reference for future employment- so don't burn bridges on your way out the door.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMommy Jess:

Crappy job and unappreciative boss.....2 weeks is plenty!

Enjoy your time off girl! I did...I was taken out of work at 6 months prego because of swelling in my feet but once I wasn't working, I felt much better! I didn't have to stand on my feet 8 hours a day!

THIS! I'd only give 2 weeks.

Good luck!

• imageTikat:

Depends on if you're leaving disability/ maternity pay on the table or not...if you're looking at 6 weeks of paid leave I would suck it up. 

One thing to keep in mind when leaving an employer is that no matter how much you hate your boss or job- this person may be your best reference for future employment- so don't burn bridges on your way out the door.

THIS!  So glad someone else mentioned it.  It might be rough, but don't miss out on the $.  I worked until the baby came and so glad b/c I was able to keep busy instead of constantly thinking baby.  Also, if you leave before the trade show I guarantee you that this guy sounds like the type to bash you if your next employer calls for a reference.  Even if you don't list them as a reference they still may call.  GL with your decision. 

• imageTikat:

Depends on if you're leaving disability/ maternity pay on the table or not...if you're looking at 6 weeks of paid leave I would suck it up (but my husband is also a SAHD)...if you're looking at taking unpaid maternity leave I'd give no more than 4 weeks notice...2 is sort of short, 4 was an eternity (for me at least) but by the end of the day I know that I could go back begging for a job if S*** hit the proverbial fan...

GL!

There's no $$$ left on the table.  nada.  zero.  zilch.  I know he could be a potential reference (intentionally or not).  Sometimes, you have to take a risk.  My misery is not worth it any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"