3rd Trimester

Help! I have a question (maybe TMI)

I have not been able to go to the bathroom in days and have been in  pain all day so I took ex lax.  Not realizing that it might be harmful until after the fact.  I called my midwife and she said she doesn't think there's anything to worry about.   That wasn't too reassuring.  Has anyone done this before or had a conversation with their doctor about laxatives late in pregnancy?  (I am 37 weeks)

Thank you!

Re: Help! I have a question (maybe TMI)

• My dr told me to take Colace or Miralax, both non-stimulant laxatives. They don't do anything to your body, just trigger your colon to move things on out because it recognizes them as something that needs to move through.
  • I actually had the same problem today - but I didn't take a laxative. Had I not known about not taking one earlier, I would have bought one. I wouldn't think anything is wrong unless you start bleeding or having severe cramps. Then again, you are considered full term at 37 weeks, so I don't think it would hurt the baby physically or mentally since the baby's focus is mainly on gaining weight until delivery. Try not to stress- stressing about it may do more damage than the laxative.  Start buying Pro Ex Lax- wait time- 6-12 hours. Not as fast as a laxative, but it will ease your mind. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know about the laxative (I've never taken one.)  I do have problems with severe constipation and always have.  The one thing I have found that works almost every time is a stool.  Yes, an actual stool.  I put my feet on it while on the pot and it helps more than dura-lax or suppositories.  I use my toddlers potty seat right now, it's the perfect height to elevate my feet just enough.  It's way better than "medical" solutions.  I actually got the idea from the show "2 and a Half Men":)  Give it a try the next time you're having trouble.  
  • imageDucatiLeah:
    My dr told me to take Colace or Miralax, both non-stimulant laxatives. They don't do anything to your body, just trigger your colon to move things on out because it recognizes them as something that needs to move through.

YesMy doctor told me the same thing, Colace or Miralax. 

• I got the OK for colace, miralax, and milk of magnesia.  Make sure you are drinking enough water too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"