3rd Trimester
Options

I wish someone had told me (labor related)

So, I've yet to post my whole birth story, but I wanted to share three things I WASN'T prepared for (despite my pre-labor Bump boards addiction).

1. Kick the family out! I delivered at 6:53am, and told the family and friends the first hours belonged to DH and I. It wasn't nearly enough time. I had lost a lot of blood, and before I knew it, I woke up to 14 (no joke) people in my room right at noon. Everyone wanted to hold the baby, of course, but I didn't get to BFing until 12 hours later! HUGE mistake! We had latching problems, she was "starved" for the first 72 hours and we were at the pediatrician every single day for weigh-ins her first days of life. Not fun. I should have known better and been more assertive, but in my post-labor state, I was blind to the harm it ultimately would do.

2. Snacks, snacks, snacks! DH had the vending machine coins, etc, but there are a whole lot of hours between dinner and breakfast - ESPECIALLY when you are breastfeeding every 2 hours (or more). I remember watching DH and baby sleep in the room at 2am while I was chowing down on DH's goldfish crackers and chocolate chip cookies. I also packed Capri Sun drinks (needed the sugar big time) and a gatorade. DH ran out for a bfast burrito one day too for me (I was there almost 4 days).

3.  If you're a yoga pants girl, pack 'em! Plus nursing TANKS. I wore the hospital gowns through labor and one post-day. I had 2nd deg tears and had a lot of blood loss. The hospital undies and huge pads weren't a huge deal, but knowing I had pants to "hold 'em up" helped a lot. I could also get up and out of bed without showing too much. Low-low-rise would probably be best for an c-sectioners.

I didn't use the  magazines I brought, but I was super happy to have had my shower shoes. Good luck to everyone still with inside babies!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I wish someone had told me (labor related)

• Options
    Great advice! Thank you! And congrats on the arrival of your LO!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.  I am going in for a c-section on the 21st and I take any info I can!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejdnemmer:

I didn't use the  magazines I brought, but I was super happy to have had my shower shoes. Good luck to everyone still with inside babies!!!

i always thought the recommendation of bringing books or magazine was hilarious... i've yet to ever see a women in labor calm enough to just chill and flip thru a people magazine lol

even if you have an epidural, there's just too much going on, and usually too much excitement to sit and read. your mind totally becomes zoned into having that baby.

i've had c sections with mine, and there's usually some wait time before i go into the OR, but i've never had the urge to read then either lol 

• Options
    Thanks so much for this info! I am due any day and feel REALLY strongly about time alone with my hubby and new baby and am worried about hurting the feelings of the new grandmas who are dying to meet this little boy. Your experience re-confirmed that we need time alone and won't be calling anyone until he is born and we are settling in. Thanks and enjoy your little one!
  • Options
    This is great advice, especially numbers 2 & 3.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I totally agree with the OP.

I posted this link on my FB page & my MIL said that she liked the post!

https://www.yourlaborroom.com/2011/01/for-your-family.html

It really is good info!

• Options

I forgot about snacks! I packed them with DS, but somehow forgot this time around. Which is odd, seeing as all I think about is food :)

• Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

It really is good info!

Ohh, this is good!  

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options
    imageMissYouDietCoke:
    image*BlackSheep*:

It really is good info!

Ohh, this is good!  

YesYesYes 

• Options
    Super good advice!  Thanks so much for the tips. :)
    Nichole Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I just had the discussion about snacks. Thanks for this post...good info!!
  • Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

It really is good info!

I just sent this to my husband, I am hoping he will send it to his MOTHER and Stepmother. This really is a good link. 

• Options
    imagejdnemmer:

1. Kick the family out! I delivered at 6:53am, and told the family and friends the first hours belonged to DH and I. It wasn't nearly enough time. I had lost a lot of blood, and before I knew it, I woke up to 14 (no joke) people in my room right at noon. Everyone wanted to hold the baby, of course, but I didn't get to BFing until 12 hours later! HUGE mistake! We had latching problems, she was "starved" for the first 72 hours and we were at the pediatrician every single day for weigh-ins her first days of life. Not fun. I should have known better and been more assertive, but in my post-labor state, I was blind to the harm it ultimately would do.

I am stressed about this. DH's family is SOOOOO pushy. I am worried they will just barge right in there and not respect the fact that they'll have to WAIT to see the baby. Thanks for the advice/heads up, though.

• Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

It really is good info!

Love this!

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with everything OP said. I also wish someone had told me it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I feel like everyone just kept telling me horror stories and scaring the crap out of me.

Well ladies, it's really not bad. I don't have my ears pierced because I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain, but I did it naturally with no problem. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"